Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
People can keep waiting fact is know one knows how much time they have on this earth. So best to buy when needed and not let a company control ones life.

Any smart person wouldn't touch one of these new iMacs until months after they have been officially released. At least thats what I will do. When people machines are dying a few months after warranty, or during you'll know. I refuse to be Apple guinea pig unlike some on here.

What you are speaking about here is what the whole i-world is floating on. It is part of this product e-culture. People have got nothing better to do than get the latest something something ** Apple has used this to their advantage. It is like keeping a $4000 float in your bank account, hardily anybody does it and there is a reason for it.

garrize

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
Paris, France

jobs-yes-we-can.jpg

:D

veryevilash

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I don't believe these rumors. The fact that you can't purchase a 2011 iMac in store or online just tells me the release of the new model is right around the corner. What company would stop all sales of any product if the new one wasn't to be released soon. That's just plain stupid. Were not even half way through the month yet and people are freaking out. Website still says November/December and not one word from Apple about delays. It's going to be ok people.

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
I don't believe these rumors. The fact that you can't purchase a 2011 iMac in store or online just tells me the release of the new model is right around the corner. What company would stop all sales of any product if the new one wasn't to be released soon. That's just plain stupid. Were not even half way through the month yet and people are freaking out. Website still says November/December and not one word from Apple about delays. It's going to be ok people.

:):cool:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
So let me get this straight apple, I can't buy an old iMac or the new iMac, you have no iMacs on sale unless its a used refurbished iMac

Post Job era indeed

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Just confirmed with local Apple store and online chat, the 21.5" will definitely go on sale this month, and the 27" is slated for December. This wait is ridiculous.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
...But as far as what Jony is coming up with: super thin retina Macbook Pros, thinner iPhones, thin iMacs, etc., I'm a happy camper and I hope they keep going.

But keep in mind that IF Ives super thin designs are not reliably manufacturable than we all have reason to be upset.

The designs must be compatible with existing manufacturing capability - and that does not appear to be the case.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Just confirmed with local Apple store and online chat, the 21.5" will definitely go on sale this month, and the 27" is slated for December. This wait is ridiculous.

Yep, I think that's what they call the company line. The information you'll get from the Apple Store is about as reliable as the source of this rumour.

I have said this before, I suspect more effort will be put into getting the 21" models into store as that's where the bulk of the holiday sales will be. Apple know that the most people purchasing a 27" iMac will still be just as keen in January 2013 as they are now so a delay may be more on the cards for this model.

If Apple are genuinely struggling to achieve sufficient yields of the revised iMac it would make me somewhat nervous purchasing this REV A, might make sense to wait for REV B when the production process has been perfected and tested in the "real world".

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
What you are speaking about here is what the whole i-world is floating on. It is part of this product e-culture. People have got nothing better to do than get the latest something something ** Apple has used this to their advantage. It is like keeping a $4000 float in your bank account, hardily anybody does it and there is a reason for it.

Don't be offended I wasn't abusing anyone. There is clearly problems manufacturing these new iMacs , I will not be a Guinea pig, When was the last time Apple released New iMacs and they were not available right away? Exactly.
The machine was 1 year old in may, so Apple have been working on this for a while.

Each to their own.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I'm enjoying my mid 2011 iMac. I'll purchase this one at the end of 2013 with Haswellonce everything is ironed out. Clearly problems with these iMacs even if they still come out on time.

How, after the whole 2012 iMac fiasco, can you even begin to expect there to be Haswell iMacs in a year? I'm sure you're happy with your 2011 model, but with that logic, you'll end up like so many of us waiting for a machine that is perpetually unreleased.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
But keep in mind that IF Ives super thin designs are not reliably manufacturable than we all have reason to be upset.

The designs must be compatible with existing manufacturing capability - and that does not appear to be the case.

Yes, i see now what you mean. If he gets carried away with his designs, it can hurt manufacturing as well, which is what I think we're seeing right now with the iPhone 5's quality control issues.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
How, after the whole 2012 iMac fiasco, can you even begin to expect there to be Haswell iMacs in a year? I'm sure you're happy with your 2011 model, but with that logic, you'll end up like so many of us waiting for a machine that is perpetually unreleased.

I suspect there will be a stronger possibility of a shorter refresh cycle for this iMac as firstly the new design is in place so dropping in new CPU's and maybe GPU, plus some revised storage configurations won't be that difficult. Also, the cynic in me thinks the shorter refresh will allow them to tweak the design /engineering to overcome any shortcomings the 2012 REV A iMac will possibly suffer from. The word Apple and REV A is not the greatest word combination.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Tim relied on one of Apple's major competitors (SAMSUNG) to provide screens and chips - too little and way late to start pushing for other suppliers. Apple stock is being beat to hell as pundits keep looking at the missteps under Cook's leadership (?).

Tim Cook wasn't the person who decided to go "thermonuclear" on Samsung and put Apple into the position to find new suppliers.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Tim Cook wasn't the person who decided to go "thermonuclear" on Samsung and put Apple into the position to find new suppliers.

Tim Cook was in charge of Supply Chain - that was his forte. It does not take a Wharton MBA to figure out that relying on a major competitor for your products will lead to problems. He has been CEO for over a year and has had considerable authority / influence for much longer.

Not sure where all the suing is going to wind up, but currently it is one of several very troubling areas where Tim's leadership is ineffective IMO.

----------

Please read post #83. Not having product to sell is NOT OK.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
Apple sure is held to a higher standard!!!! Amazon releases the Kindle Paperwhite which immediately goes into a 3 month back order state, not hardly a pep out of the bloggers. Apple releases the iMac, a "possibility" of a month or maybe two delay and the rath of h@ll breaks loose.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009

"Go on sale" could mean taking orders. Delivering it to you or an Apple store may be much later.

Foxfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
My 2006 24in iMac is BEGGING to be replaced. This has been a brutal wait.

At least yours is Intel-based so you get some support for it. My G4 from 2005 is crashing on various websites, including simple ones like Yahoo News and CBS News, while others tell me to upgrade to a newer Flash Player version which requires OS 10.6, but of course I can't upgrade past 10.4 because my machine is PowerPC-based. Ugh!!! And I can't even get the old 2011 model because the "geniuses" waited for the entire supply to run out before announcing the new model (as if having both overlap for a few weeks to let shoppers compare and get a small clearance discount on the old model would kill them).

On the other hand my Pentium III with Windows 2000 is still working fine. I want to go all-Mac but they're pushing me away!

Last edited:

sdo1982

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
North Vancouver
So, once they go on sale in Nov and Dec, what can we bitch about next?
<sarcasm>
Why have we not got "retina" ? Then have arguments around cost of panels, dead pixels and gpus. What about colours? The price of ram or why ssd's should be cheaper...
I mean how many more reasons can we think of, for calling for the head of a successful, profitable businesses head? I mean heck, he should be shot, growing the business in turnover and profitability since Steve's departure, how dare Mr Cook! And placing Mr Ive in a position to be even more involved in product development! Wow what a mistake!
</sarcasm>

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Well, after reading through 4 pages of this thread all I can say is I miss the "down vote" button! Wow is Apple, whine and why me! posts seem to be the post du jour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.