Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I am setting up a shared spreadsheet in Google Drive that I share with my boss to act as a timesheet.

I've set it up so that I input the date, time in, and time out, and it automatically calculates the daily hours worked and total hours worked. These are formatted as "Hours" in the spreadsheet.

I have two questions. Firstly, with Google Drive spreadsheets is there a way to format numbers as "Hours" but not have it include seconds? If I worked for a total of three and a half hours, for example, it reads "3:30:00"—which is a bit redundant for an informal timesheet.

Secondly, I'm trying to create a column to calculate my daily pay. In the column for daily hours worked, I list my hours in the "Hours" number format. I want to list my daily and total pay in the currency number format. What formula should I use so that Google Drive knows that "3:30:00" means 3.5, thus multipliable by the number of hours and resulting in the daily pay.

Thanks for any help!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I am setting up a shared spreadsheet in Google Drive that I share with my boss to act as a timesheet.

I've set it up so that I input the date, time in, and time out, and it automatically calculates the daily hours worked and total hours worked. These are formatted as "Hours" in the spreadsheet.

I have two questions. Firstly, with Google Drive spreadsheets is there a way to format numbers as "Hours" but not have it include seconds? If I worked for a total of three and a half hours, for example, it reads "3:30:00"—which is a bit redundant for an informal timesheet.

Secondly, I'm trying to create a column to calculate my daily pay. In the column for daily hours worked, I list my hours in the "Hours" number format. I want to list my daily and total pay in the currency number format. What formula should I use so that Google Drive knows that "3:30:00" means 3.5, thus multipliable by the number of hours and resulting in the daily pay.

Thanks for any help!

Google docs supports many of the functions of excel, numbers, and open office. If I were entering a spreadsheet that I wanted to be easily used to calculate pay, I would NOT bother with time formats. I would enter the hours as decimals like 1.5 hours or 7.5 hours. Of course there are string functions that can be used to "parse" time and convert it to fractions but I think that's way too much heavy lifting. Stick with hours and decimal fractions of hours. I would think that timekeeping should have resolution to 1/2 or even 1/4 hour and no more, right? If you are down to minute or second based timekeeping, perhaps google docs isn't the appropriate tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.