Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
Bought one today at the Apple Store. They didn't have them out yet but asked for it. I've been a Fuel Band user since April. I have a love/hate relationship with it because it's so damn inaccurate. I run 5 miles it tells me I only went 3. So that's my motivation for checking the Up out.

Can't comment of functionality yet, but not liking the design so far.

Aesthetically it's slimmer than the Fuel Band but a tad wider going outward. I'm not a fan of how the two end curl up at the end to grip your wrist. Nike's solution is a lot cleaner. The way the ends overhang means shirts and sweaters will get hung up on it and who knows what else.

Also for $129 -- just $30 less than the Fuel Band, you get no instant data readout or feedback. Everything has to be read from the App. That would not be a monster issue if it had wireless sync, but it doesn't (even though Jawbone is a BT speaker and headset co). So to find out where you are in the day you have to take the bracelet off, take the cap off, stick it in the headphone port, activate the app and sync. That's a lot of work just to find out where you are in the day. Even the Fitbit offers visual cues in the form of a growing flower.

So, so far not impressed. I'm going to reserve judgment until I've used it for a week but I don't think Jawbone learned as much about design of the Gen 1 as they think they did.

Please keep us updated and post any more opinions you have. I have a few more days to return my FuelBand and get an Up, if I deem it worth it. I really like the feature-set of the Up - the sleep tracking and vibrating alarms, especially - but I love that the FuelBand doubles as a watch and gives immediate feedback. BT syncing is just icing on the cake.

I'd love the additional features the Up has to offer, but I'm worried that the syncing method is going to really put a damper on the experience for me, especially as it's the only way to get feedback on how your day is going and if you need to take that extra lap around the block to meet your goal for the day.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Bought one today at the Apple Store. They didn't have them out yet but asked for it. I've been a Fuel Band user since April. I have a love/hate relationship with it because it's so damn inaccurate. I run 5 miles it tells me I only went 3. So that's my motivation for checking the Up out.

Can't comment of functionality yet, but not liking the design so far.

Aesthetically it's slimmer than the Fuel Band but a tad wider going outward. I'm not a fan of how the two end curl up at the end to grip your wrist. Nike's solution is a lot cleaner. The way the ends overhang means shirts and sweaters will get hung up on it and who knows what else.

Also for $129 -- just $30 less than the Fuel Band, you get no instant data readout or feedback. Everything has to be read from the App. That would not be a monster issue if it had wireless sync, but it doesn't (even though Jawbone is a BT speaker and headset co). So to find out where you are in the day you have to take the bracelet off, take the cap off, stick it in the headphone port, activate the app and sync. That's a lot of work just to find out where you are in the day. Even the Fitbit offers visual cues in the form of a growing flower.

So, so far not impressed. I'm going to reserve judgment until I've used it for a week but I don't think Jawbone learned as much about design of the Gen 1 as they think they did.

Thanks for the review. I really am torn between this and the lark life. I'm not considering the mybasis or fuelband as they don't provide the silent vibrating alarm when you're best rested feature, which is essential for me.

Here's how I can see it breaking down:
JAWBONE:
Pros:
- More fashionable. Looks smaller and comes in a variety of great colours
- Some extra features: the power nap feature looks very useful; as does mood tracking
- very water resistant (if their video is to be believed)
- does everything in one band
- it's already here!
Cons:
- no bluetooth, need to take it off to sync
- annoying cap, easy to lose
- need to take it off to charge

LARKLIFE:
Pros:
- two bands (night and day) each with their own battery so you can charge one while you wear the other one - no break in tracking
- the two bands also mean it's more comfortable during the night
- bluetooth syncing!
- expert tips on sleeping, diet, etc. available
- expert help on exercising available
Cons:
- waterproof? they don't say
- release date unknown
- only 2 day battery life
- only comes in blue right now
- the computer part of the thing is small, and possible to lose (although presumably you're always wearing it, so probably not)
- $20 more than the Up

So they stack up pretty nicely against each other. The main selling point of the Larklife is the expert advice: it was designed in consultation with fitness/sleep/diet experts and you can get expert advice if you choose based on your results. The bluetooth syncing so you can track yourself real time is also the big feature.
The main selling point of the Up (to me) is how fashionable it looks. Provided you get the right colour, it won't necessarily even look out of place whilst wearing my suit, and its 8 day battery life.
At this stage I'm leaning towards the lark life. But I might wait until both are available here in Canada, get both, and try them out for 30 days with my wife. Then we'll both order the one that we like.

Since I am also waiting on the pebble watch, perhaps the winner will end up being the first to integrate with it! Unless of course the pebble ends up being able to do all these things, but I suspect not as well

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
How do y'all feel about the FitBit One? I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I really like it. I don't feel like it will pop off or disappear at all. It even does the sleep alarm! It doesn't have the activity reminder of the Up, though.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
How do y'all feel about the FitBit One? I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I really like it. I don't feel like it will pop off or disappear at all. It even does the sleep alarm! It doesn't have the activity reminder of the Up, though.

I used a FitBit for a while; the only thing I didn't really like about it was that if I was rushing and changed clothes quickly and ran out the door to the gym (as I'm often running late for) I would forget it in my pants pocket.

That, and I found the sleep band to be kind of weird. It often fell out of the band while I was sleeping, and you have to be conscious to remember to put it on your wrist before bed.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I really liked the altimeter a lot.

Arbuthnott

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
Maybe that's all that is required?

nice observations, but in reality all of these devices are gimmicks at best

I think you are probably right. However, there comes a point where it might only need a small additional factor to tip the balance to get behaviour on track - for example to lose weight consistently.

Personally, I would have liked the Jawbone UP a year ago. Today I am using a FitBit, and have managed to steadily lose weight for the last 2.5 months with the additional contribution it provides. Any gimmick might have done the job, and Jawbone have missed the boat in my case.

slesherinyork

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Was offered V2 for Free

Like many had high hope when this first came out and lost a couple of caps along the way and at first customer service was subpar at best.

Wore the first one while taking a shower and it killed it. They replaced the first band no questions and provided some extra caps.

Then took the refund and kept the band and have used it until this past summer when it wouldn't hold a charge more than a day. They sent out a replacement and until the iPhone 5 was released it worked well.

Received an email yesterday from them letting me know V2 was being released and they offered me a free one... Was a little shocked but it shipped yesterday afternoon and will have it by Monday.

I downloaded the new version of the App yesterday as well and it works really well with the iPhone 5 and I find it a lot more useful then before. One feature I didn't use was the log of food you ate because I didn't feel the info was too accurate. Now it has a lot of items to include restaurant foods, you can select portion sizes easily and even scan bar codes on products just to name a few to help with input. Overall a lot more polished than prior.

All in all I think they learned their lesson and while it's hard to make everyone happy I believe they are making a best effort to make things right with those who had and stayed with version one of the band.:)

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Just run till your coughing.
Run till you choke
Run like a president running on hope.

Leaning over to vomit, you see it.
Written in the stalls.
"By gum we've found it... a remotely useful Scause."

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I just purchased it today at the Apple store.

So far I am not as impressed as I am with my fuelband that I have for over six months. I wear on each wrist and compared throughout the entire day. These are just first impressions and I am still eager to try the powernap and smart alarm functions because this is primarily why I bought it.

Pros:
-Lightweight vs fuelband
-Powernap and Smart Alarm (fuelband should of had this)
-Vibrations! I wish the fuelband had this
-Application on iPhone is outstanding!
-Battery Life! 1 day and only 6% charge gone! Still got the night to go!

Cons:
-Medium doesn't fit on me, but the large (which i use) is to flimsy and my clothes snag onto it and pulls it all over the place.
-Does not fit a regular wrist. Weird space open around the sides of my wrist where the fuelband is a perfect fit around my wrist and snug.
-No LEDS
-No bluetooth

The cons of not feeling well on my wrist makes me want to return it. I will give it another day, but this is not working out how I wanted it too.

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
OK so I've had the Up for about a day now and here are my impressions:

-The weight and size of the Up is just about the same as having a simple rubber wristband. At first just having it on my wrist bugged the crap out of me but now I don't even realize I have it on. While it is thicker than those rubber wristbands, you really don't notice it during normal wear.

-Design: I do like the design except for the open ends. I have noticed that those ends get caught on things especially my jacket while I'm taking it on or off.
The rubber construction is very durable and is remarkably flexible considering the electronics are are located inside of it.
Since there's only one button on the wristband, the interface and function are extremely easy to use. After looking through the app and finding the correct button pushing combinations, I found it was easy to memorize them and use them accordingly.
I know some of you have expressed concerns over the cap of the 3.5mm connection coming off, but I don't see that as an issue. Its held together very securely and it takes two hands just to remove it.
I took a shower with it on last night, and it held up very well. No known issues getting it wet which is a huge improvement from the first version (from what I hear).

-App: The app is extremely beautiful and really a pleasure to use. Everything is laid out very well and adjusting the settings for vibration notifications, inputting diet information and syncing are all easy to use and seem accurate. The best feature I've found is the ability to scan the UPC on my products and being able to adjust serving sizes to be more accurate. Extremely useful and haven't found a product yet that wasn't listed.
The calorie tracking seems a bit off to me but I have no way to compare it to anything else so I may not know what the hell I'm talking about.
The step counter and sleep features feel very accurate to me and are more useful than I could've ever imagined. The sleep feature is the biggest reason why I chose the Up and not the Nike Fuel Band.

-Syncing: Yes you do have to take the band off to sync it but I don't find this to be an issue. The reason why I bought the Up is for it to work in the background. In the past day, I've synced it twice (once this morning and once before I went to bed last night) and usually takes about 20 or so seconds to complete the sync. Since I'm usually busy with work or school, constantly checking would seem like a hassle but syncing two or three times a day will give me ample progress.

These are just my first thoughts, if anything comes up I'll be sure to let you guys know! So far if I were to give this a rating, I'd give it four out of five. The product works as advertised but there are a few minor issues that could be improved upon. If you have any questions please ask as I'm willing to help in any way that I can! :)

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Bought the Fitbit One yesterday. The UP wasn't even on my list of choices after the unmitigated disaster last year. Jawbone needs to earn their reputation back before I'll consider any of their products, and I wasn't going to wait any longer for that to happen. Also, wireless syncing and a display do matter in my opinion.

I chose the Fitbit over the Nike Fuel band for one major reason. WTF are fuel points? Beyond trying to earn as many fuel points as I can, how are they at all useful to me?

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I also purchased a Fitbit One last night (from REI). I just sent an email to the company about their app. It is not that good compared to the Fuelband and UP. I told them that I just got it and I am pulling for them to come out with something better. This is my second Fitbit. I had the Ultra and washed it.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Funny to see all the comments about how easy the cap is to lose on the UP. Seems they're all from people that have never owned an UP. I've had mine for about a year now and have yet to lose the cap. It stays tightly on in all conditions. You set it down right next to the UP while it charges and magically, it's there to replace when it's done charging.

Lack of wireless sync isn't a problem like so many are making it out to be. It takes 3 seconds extra to pop it into my phone. It also means that I have 10 day battery life where the Fuelband only has 4 day. That's a huge difference when I travel for work or go on vacation and I don't have to bring a charger or worry about remembering to sync it during that time.

----------

Bought the Fitbit One yesterday. The UP wasn't even on my list of choices after the unmitigated disaster last year. Jawbone needs to earn their reputation back before I'll consider any of their products, and I wasn't going to wait any longer for that to happen. Also, wireless syncing and a display do matter in my opinion.

I chose the Fitbit over the Nike Fuel band for one major reason. WTF are fuel points? Beyond trying to earn as many fuel points as I can, how are they at all useful to me?

Fuel Points are meaningless in most ways. What they do is push the user. You try to get as many as possible. It's like all the people on Reddit that strive for karma. What is karma on Reddit? Nothing more than a stupid number. You don't get money for it. You don't get anything for it but it drives most everyone on that site to do whatever they can to get it. Fuel Points are the same deal. People try to get as many as they can. It helps to push you.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I called the local apple store and they said they didnt have the UP in stock. I waited 40 damn minutes to ask if they had it in stock (Im at school so cant drive to check).

I have a weird feeling the guy just doesnt know and they are in the back, based off of the people who have already purchased them

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I called the local apple store and they said they didnt have the UP in stock. I waited 40 damn minutes to ask if they had it in stock (Im at school so cant drive to check).

I have a weird feeling the guy just doesnt know and they are in the back, based off of the people who have already purchased them

I had the same problem...the guy I talked to said they were recalled...so i went in and (shocker) they have about 15 of them in stock

charliehustle

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
For cardio I ride a bike.. This thing is gonna be useless for me right?
I agree it's just a gimmick.. Your will power is gonna be what dictates your physical condition, not a piece of plastic.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Your will power is gonna be what dictates your physical condition, not a piece of plastic.

There are many people who have trouble working out by themselves. They have an easier time getting motivation when working out with a friend or by hiring a personal trainer. The UP is no different. It's not a replacement for will power, but it can help supplement it.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Ordered it online the moment day it was announced and yet to even get a shipped notice. :(

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Please keep us updated and post any more opinions you have. I have a few more days to return my FuelBand and get an Up, if I deem it worth it. I really like the feature-set of the Up - the sleep tracking and vibrating alarms, especially - but I love that the FuelBand doubles as a watch and gives immediate feedback. BT syncing is just icing on the cake.

I'd love the additional features the Up has to offer, but I'm worried that the syncing method is going to really put a damper on the experience for me, especially as it's the only way to get feedback on how your day is going and if you need to take that extra lap around the block to meet your goal for the day.

Well after 1.5 days I can safely say the UP is not for me and I'm sticking w/ the Fuel Band for now. I'm returning it today at my first opportunity.

The big killer for me is the lack to see instant daily status direct from the band. It's just too much trouble to have to take the band off, plug it in to the iPhone, open your iPhone, open the app, click the sync page, then click sync just to see how many steps you've taken or calories you've burned.

Compare that with the one button push on either the Fuel Band or the Fit Bit and I just don't know what Jawbone was thinking. If the band was BT and you could sync wirelessly I'd be OK with it, but as-is it feels so late 20th century. These types of devices, minimum, need to have either a read out on device or BT syncing so you can get an instant read out on your phone.

Related to that, all the features have to be set inside the app which means if you want to activate power sleep you have to take the band off to set it. Again, lots of work that should be built into the band.

As far as usage, the step count is slightly better than the Fuel Band. It counted approx 300 more steps. I also liked how it tracked "idle time," something the Fuel Band doesn't too. Also it differentiates idle calorie burn -- the calories you burn just for being alive vs the active ones you burn exercising. But the active calorie counter was way off compared to what my elliptical read. 30 min going 70 rmp on mid-level resistance (10 out of 20) and the Jawbone only gave me 260 calories. My machine said it was 320.

The sleep feature works as well as the fit bit with more comfortable feel. But I'm not really sure what I'm suppose to do with the information.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
The UP's inability to wirelessly sync has just killed off my hope for this product.

I'm freakish, I would be checking my calories burned every hour. No way I want to take it off and on again to check that regularly. :(

Some people just can't do the simple stuff right in design..

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I got in contact with support and canceled my order. They said they were not planning to ship any orders made on the 13th till the 20th. I am just gonna hit one of the 5 Apple stores we have here this weekend.

BTW the support was very nice about it. Told them I am still buying their product just via different method.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Got to the apple store and asked the front person just as I walked in if they had any Jawbone UP bands. He said no and they haven't got any in. I say ok then walk past him and bam right on the rack there was a full row of them in two colors.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Got to the apple store and asked the front person just as I walked in if they had any Jawbone UP bands. He said no and they haven't got any in. I say ok then walk past him and bam right on the rack there was a full row of them in two colors.

I think a lot of sales people are getting confused between the old version and the new version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.