Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

How is Apple coping with all the iPhones returned?

I see so many people here that return 3-7 iPhones because of Scuffs, light leakage all out of the box.

How is apply making money if they need to open several iPhones to get one that is actually in a pristine condition?

Don't get me wrong, if I would pay such an amount of money for a device I would want it pristine, no scratches or defects that's for sure...
Grolubao is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
fins831
macrumors 6502a

well they have over 100billion in cash on hand....I would guess they sleep with their piles of cash like in the show DuckTales with the vault and diving board and all.
fins831 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
I see so many people here that return 3-7 iPhones because of Scuffs, light leakage all out of the box.

How is apply making money if they need to open several iPhones to get one that is actually in a pristine condition?

Don't get me wrong, if I would pay such an amount of money for a device I would want it pristine, no scratches or defects that's for sure...
they give them replacement white box phones. They aren't actually getting a brand new phone. Well technically they are but still. And they don't really need any money. $188 dollars to them is like a twizzler wrapper to us. Useless.
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:

People who get their phones in perfect condition won't post on these forums. I think by now Apple has already fixed the scuffs TB issues.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Deasnutz
macrumors regular

How many have you counted...25? 50? This site is probably a skewed sample pool as well.
Deasnutz is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Jalopybox
Banned

The returned phones get a quick wipe down then put back in a white box.
Jalopybox is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Do you really think mr is representative of the iphone buying populace at large?
Unless we see statistics, it's probable that the number of returns is no larger than that of any other cell phone maker. I imagine all these companies account for a percentage of returns.
Quote:

Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Dechter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
How many have you counted...25? 50? This site is probably a skewed sample pool as well.
Yep, this site is most definitely not representative of the general public. Mountains and molehills and all that.
Dechter is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
Do you really think mr is representative of the iphone buying populace at large?
Unless we see statistics, it's probable that the number of returns is no larger than that of any other cell phone maker. I imagine all these companies account for a percentage of returns.
Exactly.
There's always OCD folks that replace dozens of iPhones till they find the so called perfect iPhone.
Those are a very small percentage of consumers.
For every few threads you read here about tiny scufs, light leak, yellow screens or other imperfections one finds there's thousands of satisfied customers with no probs that don't post and whine.
They just enjoy their phones.
Applejuiced is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:27 PM   #10
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
The returned phones get a quick wipe down then put back in a white box.
Seriously. The average iphone user wouldnt know the difference anyway. We're just a bunch of picky nerds on this forum.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:41 PM   #11
itjw
In Time-Out

If you'd believe the few people here still silly enough to believe white boxes aren't refurbs, I guess you'd have to surmise all the returns just magically dissapear...

One of my colleagues represents an Apple store manager where I live. I know both store managers in my area. They are sent back and quickly refurbed.

99% of white boxes are now refurbs. There have been plenty of returns, and now plenty of warranty swaps for various things. There has been plenty of time for the most popular phone on the planet to build refurb inventory, scuffgate or not lol...

So returned phones (especially ones with only teeny tiny cosmetic imperfections) are on the refurb train! No biggie :-)
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:29 PM   #12
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

They send them back, refurb them, and send em out again.

Apple moves millions of these phones a week. A couple thousand being returned weekly isn't a big deal to them.
AutoUnion39 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:08 PM   #13
IanGahagan
macrumors member

Before my phone showed up I decided that if it did show up scratched I would return it... Well my phone showed up with 2 very small scratches on the chamfered edge but the phone is so beautiful and such an improvement over my iPhone 4 that I decided to hold on to it. 9/10 people won't return their phone over something minor like what I have and quite frankly your phone will get minor scratches as time goes on. Apple has enough money to give people replacements until their happy for unsatisfied customers though.
IanGahagan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:09 PM   #14
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Losing on a imperfect Iphone is nothing compared to keeping a customer happy according to Apple.
Wish every company had to ideology.
bushman4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:20 AM   #15
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I don't understand, because if I would go and buy a TV and receive it with a scratch it would be returned immediately. Why being content with something other than perfect since you are actually not buying a second hand equipment? Is this Apple brainwash?
Grolubao is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:52 AM   #16
Myiphone7
Banned

Well my iPhone 5 came out with a ding and scratch under the antenna.

Hardly a scratch just missed a dot of paint.

I don't care doesn't bother me.

Although I DO agree for a $700 phone it should be perfect. So if you are bothered change it.

Personally, I'm just glad no wifi issues or anything else of the sort.
Myiphone7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:57 AM   #17
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Apple didn't foot the bill it comes out of foxconns profit margin. There the device makers and that's where the fault/blame falls
Gav2k is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:17 AM   #18
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sometimes I don't understand, because if I would go and buy a TV and receive it with a scratch it would be returned immediately. Why being content with something other than perfect since you are actually not buying a second hand equipment? Is this Apple brainwash?
Is your TV expected to get scratches? No, it's expected to stay in perfect untouched condition up on its bracket with no one coming within 1 foot of it, ever. That's why pristine quality in that case would bother me so much, because I know there's absolutely no chance that I'd do that to it myself.

With a phone it's completely different, it's being handled and moved 90%+ of the day and it's virtually impossible to keep it scratchless. That's why I didn't mind that some paint near the antenna was missing on mine. Because a few weeks later, and already there's nicks and scratches on the edge caused by normal everyday use. This is why I personally didn't waste my time chasing for a replacement.
stonyboys is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:41 AM   #19
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Seriously. The average iphone user wouldnt know the difference anyway. We're just a bunch of picky nerds on this forum.
Yeh, I was checking out my grandmas new iPhone and noticed some chips on the side. She didn't even notice until I told her.
macingman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:50 AM   #20
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

The return and warranty policy at stores in America is beyond belief. I can buy nearly anything and return it for a refund without cause. Try this in many other countries and see where it gets you.

Kudos Apple and other businesses.
Gutwrench is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:53 AM   #21
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
If you'd believe the few people here still silly enough to believe white boxes aren't refurbs, I guess you'd have to surmise all the returns just magically dissapear...

One of my colleagues represents an Apple store manager where I live. I know both store managers in my area. They are sent back and quickly refurbed.

99% of white boxes are now refurbs. There have been plenty of returns, and now plenty of warranty swaps for various things. There has been plenty of time for the most popular phone on the planet to build refurb inventory, scuffgate or not lol...

So returned phones (especially ones with only teeny tiny cosmetic imperfections) are on the refurb train! No biggie :-)
how is it a refurb?

if someone returns a brand new severely faulty phone does Apple just simply repackage the phone and use it as a refurb? sounds like bs to me
washburn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:05 AM   #22
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

OCD is the name of the game when it comes to me and my products

TRUTH
Appl3FTW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:33 AM   #23
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Exactly.
There's always OCD folks that replace dozens of iPhones till they find the so called perfect iPhone.
Those are a very small percentage of consumers.
For every few threads you read here about tiny scufs, light leak, yellow screens or other imperfections one finds there's thousands of satisfied customers with no probs that don't post and whine.
They just enjoy their phones.

also to add its not like apple is taking a loss on these products.. the profit margins are high as it is. They might take a small cut in the profit re-manufacturing etc.. but not a loss on the products
BFizzzle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:56 AM   #24
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
You can't extrapolate total returns based solely on forum posts. Most MacRumors users are probably much pickier for one thing. For another, a lot of the replacements are refurbs -- consider where refurbs come from.

Does the how really matter? Apple's financials are out there and they're obviously making money despite your assumption that there are such massive returns that they can't be making money. Where do you think the mistake lies? Even without knowing, it's likely that the side that's relying on assumption and speculation rather than the side reporting on hard numbers is the one that is mistaken.
takeshi74 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:03 AM   #25
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
You can't extrapolate total returns based solely on forum posts. Most MacRumors users are probably much pickier for one thing. For another, a lot of the replacements are refurbs -- consider where refurbs come from.

Does the how really matter? Apple's financials are out there and they're obviously making money despite your assumption that there are such massive returns that they can't be making money. Where do you think the mistake lies? Even without knowing, it's likely that the side that's relying on assumption and speculation rather than the side reporting on hard numbers is the one that is mistaken.
Let's also not forget the "hoard mentality" that Macrumors causes. One person finds a small amount of light bleed, slight yellow tint, or the tiniest scratch on the back of their new phone and suddenly "everyone" sees it on their devices. If you are like 99% of the population, you've never even been to Macrumors and thus don't even know about these "issues"....
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone