Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
There's a few different lines in the MacBook family for the example the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and pro with retina. Same with iPods there are few different varieties there..and now the iPad with regular and mini.

Do you think we will see iPhone pro? Or iPhone air or iPhone mini? Would it be a smart idea for apple to release options like this?

I just received my iPad mini and I am happy with it even with lower/older specs..maybe they will release a new phone with lower/older specs for folks on a tight budget, and maybe a super high end top notch phone as well.

mdmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
No. I think Apple will keep moving forward. Improving their phones with no thought to who can afford it or not. They will make the best phone that they can, with what improvements they deem necessary (or what the public wants) I don't see them bowing to who can afford what.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
No. I think Apple will keep moving forward. Improving their phones with no thought to who can afford it or not. They will make the best phone that they can, with what improvements they deem necessary (or what the public wants) I don't see them bowing to who can afford what.

But isn't that what they did with the iPad mini? Made an affordable iPad to put in the hands of more people?

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
If they do, it'll likely be with screen sizes. iPhone at 4" then iPhone Max at like 4.5" would please me. Since they have the mini, venturing into 5" or higher would be a bit much. Maybe two variants of screen sizes but that still sounds unlikely.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
They should keep the iPhone on schedule every fall and keep it 4 inches. Then starting this coming spring, they should release the iPhone 5s with a 5 inch 720p HD display with over 400ppi. You keep existing iPhone users happy with the iPhone and you also keep or steal those who want larger displays with the S version.. Then you follow that schedule every year.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
But isn't that what they did with the iPad mini? Made an affordable iPad to put in the hands of more people?

At a price of $329, just $71 less than a brand new iPad 2 and an even closer in price to a refurbished model, I don't think they made it "more affordable to put in the hands of more people."

I think they designed something as thin and light as possible, while still being able to cash in on the "275,000 optimized tablet applications."

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Multiple releases are not the answer. New and Innovative new iPhone is the answer. Not just improved.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
There's a few different lines in the MacBook family for the example the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and pro with retina. Same with iPods there are few different varieties there..and now the iPad with regular and mini.

Do you think we will see iPhone pro? Or iPhone air or iPhone mini? Would it be a smart idea for apple to release options like this?
Multiple iPhones have been discussed before, but usually about different screen sizes. What you have mentioned is a similar concept. IMO having different screen sizes would make more sense to us the users since there has been so much divide and discussion about which screen size is the best.

As you have pointed out, Apple has multiple selections for most of their other products. When it comes to the iPhone it seems they stubbornly stay with only one updated product. Their other choices aren't really much of a choice. They are the previous year's products at a lower cost and rather than a new product line that's being updated with better specs like the iPad mini.

I am very curious why Apple chooses to stay with only one sized iPhone when having two would ease many of the bitter complaints and discussions about different sizes. People have given several different theories as to why not, but Apple is company and if there is enough demand it would surprise me if they didn't make both. I do realize that unlike most companies, Apple does tend to do what they think is best even if it's not what others think is best, but they have also given into user's demands if there is enough of it.

The iPad mini is a good example. Apple didn't seem to really want to make a smaller iPad, but with the popularity of smaller tablets from other manufacturers they decided to make two iPad sizes, so why are they still unwilling to make two iPhones sizes when it's such a hotly debated topic among users? IMO two sizes is all they need because I think it will satisfy the majority of users.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
If anything they will release a bigger screen version of the iP5, they already have low/mid/high tiers with the 4/4s/5.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I really hope not. I hope they continue to focus on just one device, and ramp up the quality. There are a plethora of other devices out there if the iPhone doesn't tickle your pickle.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
But how many people would buy these phones? It's about profit first then the customer. Macrumors isn't the whole world. I think they're doing perfectly fine with the 1 phone a year.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Multiple iPhones have been discussed before, but usually about different screen sizes. What you have mentioned is a similar concept. IMO having different screen sizes would make more sense to us the users since there has been so much divide and discussion about which screen size is the best.

As you have pointed out, Apple has multiple selections for most of their other products. When it comes to the iPhone it seems they stubbornly stay with only one updated product. Their other choices aren't really much of a choice. They are the previous year's products at a lower cost and rather than a new product line that's being updated with better specs like the iPad mini.

I am very curious why Apple chooses to stay with only one sized iPhone when having two would ease many of the bitter complaints and discussions about different sizes. People have given several different theories as to why not, but Apple is company and if there is enough demand it would surprise me if they didn't make both. I do realize that unlike most companies, Apple does tend to do what they think is best even if it's not what others think is best, but they have also given into user's demands if there is enough of it.

The iPad mini is a good example. Apple didn't seem to really want to make a smaller iPad, but with the popularity of smaller tablets from other manufacturers they decided to make two iPad sizes, so why are they still unwilling to make two iPhones sizes when it's such a hotly debated topic among users? IMO two sizes is all they need because I think it will satisfy the majority of users.
I would enjoy a larger screen like the note 2 and the DNA. I think in the next few years they'll start releasing multiple phones..we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.