Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BradClarke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Hi I was at the apple store and was looking hard at the MBA 11" 2012, and was really trying to decide if its a good idea to down/upgrade to a MBA 11" 2012

Currently I have a 13" 2011 MBA, and a 2011 iMac, and iPad 3 but dont find myself using my air much for actual graphic design work. Has anyone else switched from a 13" to a 11" did you enjoy the smaller screen and portability more or did you regret it the switch. Any down sides to the 11" that I may be unaware of?

Thanks.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Hi I was at the apple store and was looking hard at the MBA 11" 2012, and was really trying to decide if its a good idea to down/upgrade to a MBA 11" 2012

Currently I have a 13" 2011 MBA, and a 2011 iMac, and iPad 3 but dont find myself using my air much for actual graphic design work. Has anyone else switched from a 13" to a 11" did you enjoy the smaller screen and portability more or did you regret it the switch. Any down sides to the 11" that I may be unaware of?

Thanks.

I went a from a 15" MBP to an 11" MBA and haven't regretted it for a second. Not exactly what you asked, but close enough. :p

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I had the original 13" (Rev A) then the Rev B 13"... skipped the Rev C, and then got the 2010 MBA with 11" Screen. I loved it! (except for the lack of backlit keyboard) When my wife decided she wanted one, I passed that one on to her (This was her first Mac so she has never had a backlit keyboard to miss ;) and picked up a 2011 MBA 11" and again, I still love it. I carry my laptop everywhere I go, so for me the lower weight easily makes up for the smaller screen size. I mostly only do one or two things at a time anyway--usually a Word Processor and Safari--so a large screen wasn't all that necessary for me. I will definitely stay with the 11" size as long as they make them. I'm skipping the 2012 model, but will probably just pass my 2011 down to my wife when the 2013's come out.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Did the reverse. Had a 2011 11", bought a 2012 13". Much more viewable screen, more storage, more memory. However, I still really like the baby 11" and have resisted passing it on thus far.

tanhm

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
15 inch Macbook pro to 13 inch MBA and now is 11 inch MBA. Love it :D do not want to turn back to biger screen :D

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I've used the 13" MacBook Pro for the past three years, and decided to upgrade to the MacBook Air this fall. I ordered the 13", but after going to Best Buy to get a feel for it (we don't have an Apple Store), I cancelled it for the 11". I just found it to be a really nice computer, and I felt the 13" was almost awkwardly shaped because it was so thin. Plus, I travel several times a year, so portability is key.

k6578

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
I've used the 13" MacBook Pro for the past three years, and decided to upgrade to the MacBook Air this fall. I ordered the 13", but after going to Best Buy to get a feel for it (we don't have an Apple Store), I cancelled it for the 11". I just found it to be a really nice computer, and I felt the 13" was almost awkwardly shaped because it was so thin. Plus, I travel several times a year, so portability is key.

Just curious, is the MacBook Air 11 going to be your primary computer? Or do you have something else?

I've been using a MBP 13 for over two years. I'll still be using it as my main computer but I've always loved the Air 11 design especially when compared to the 13.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Not quite what you asked but I went from a 14" maxed out (i7/8GB/250GB SSD) Acer to a base 11" (i5/4GB/64GB) MBA. Best thing I ever did.

As a pentester I move around alot and the portability of the MBA is fantastic. While not as heavily specced as my previous machine, it's a little beast.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Went from a 13" MacBook Air 2011 base model to a 11" i7/8/128 2012 Air. Been using it as my main computer over the last few months. Absolutely love the portability of this adorable baby Mac. # No regrets whatsoever!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Anyone know which one has bigger text (at the native resolution)? Debating which model would be better for someone with slightly poor eye-sight. Or is comparable? I've owned both, I just don't recall.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Anyone know which one has bigger text (at the native resolution)? Debating which model would be better for someone with slightly poor eye-sight. Or is comparable? I've owned both, I just don't recall.

On one hand, most (not all) software programs have the ability to increase the font and image size. All web browsers allow increase in size (zoom in). In Apple Mail, you can increase the size of the fonts in Preferences. When viewing emails, you can Command+ to increase viewing font size.

However, for some programs, such as Quickbooks that I use for work, there is no ability to increase the font size. For my level of eyesight, I find the tiny font size of Quickbooks (running on VMWare) totally un-usable on the 11" screen.

Like others have said, I appreciate the sheer portability of the MBA 11", and find it good for jotting down points for writing, when I am on the road. I find the 11" good enough for writing my book, composing ideas.

But I am slowly coming to the point - after having the 11" for 3 months - where I find that the 11" feels, to me at least, a little cramped. I don't find it cramped for general writing, but I do find it cramped when I have to review PDF documents since I cannot see the whole document, only portions. It especially feels cramped when I need for work fast and under pressure.

I am in the midst of deciding whether to sell my 11" and go back to the 13", which I had before. It's not an easy decision, because the 13" was distinctively heftier - you wouldn't think so since the 13" is only 2.7 kg more, but it really does make a difference whether you grab and walk out the door with it, or decide to leave it behind.

I haven't decided yet, and it's a reason why I came to the forum to read this post.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks.

I did just that but send the MBA 11" back as the screen was too small for my older eyes. And it became very hot when rendering videos. Apart from that I loved it. It is amazing what you can get in such a small package. I now have a rMBP 15" which is better for my eyes, but twice as heavy and big.If your eyes are young enough, get the MBA 11". You will not regret it.
I, by the way, find the iPad mini fine for my eyes, but that is because I do different things on the iPad mini.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
Just curious, is the MacBook Air 11 going to be your primary computer? Or do you have something else?

I've been using a MBP 13 for over two years. I'll still be using it as my main computer but I've always loved the Air 11 design especially when compared to the 13.

It is going to be my primary computer. If I find it's hard to work at that size, I'll swap it for the 13", but I really don't expect to do so.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I would look at an 11" but the bezel on that thing is way too big for my liking. The 13" is much more acceptable.

Frankly I cannot imagine the embarrassment of being seen with such a huge bezel... :eek:

--------

As far as how I select a computer?

Perhaps I'm far from the norm, but I select my Macs based on how I'm going to use them, not what they look like. :)

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
But I am slowly coming to the point - after having the 11" for 3 months - where I find that the 11" feels, to me at least, a little cramped. I don't find it cramped for general writing, but I do find it cramped when I have to review PDF documents since I cannot see the whole document, only portions. It especially feels cramped when I need for work fast and under pressure.

I am in the midst of deciding whether to sell my 11" and go back to the 13", which I had before. It's not an easy decision, because the 13" was distinctively heftier - you wouldn't think so since the 13" is only 2.7 kg more, but it really does make a difference whether you grab and walk out the door with it, or decide to leave it behind.

I haven't decided yet, and it's a reason why I came to the forum to read this post.

same here mate, I got the 11" for law school and I use this computer day and night and I've been somewhat kicking myself for getting the higher end 11" instead of the lower end 13". I've also been seriously considering trying to sell my 11 to get a 13 but I'm imagining how much more I'm having to pay now than if I had just ponyed up and spent that extra hundred or so to get the 13 back then, and I just can't get myself to make that decision at such a loss anymore. So I'm basically learning to settle and be happy with the 11.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
The past 3 years I was working on my 10" Asus Eee netbook and upgrading just 1" wasn't an option so I ordered the 13". In addition the smaller MBA is lacking the SD card slot which is very important to me.

But, I would consider the 11" as 2nd laptop if I would find a good deal on a used one (which I just missed today :() though my wife would divorce me most probably, therefore I just leave it for now.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I had the 2010 11 inch and I enjoyed it during the time I had it. Once I bought it I stopped using my ipad all together. It was so much more functional. I ended up selling it though after the newness wore off about a 7 months later. When it came time to buy an air again i choose the 13 inch 2012. I was much happier with the larger screen. It definitely gets more use. I have been debating getting an ultimate 2012 11 inch for more portability now and also an external screen.

Apple law states you want what you dont have. so if you have a 13 you will wish you had an 11 and if you had an 11 you will wish you had the 13.

RHA

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
Chicagoland
I had an original 13" Rev. A and then acquired the Rev. B model. Currently using the mid-2011 13". I seriously looked at the 11 inch - weight and size matter as I travel constantly. My reason for staying with the 13" was a matter of hand comfort on the keyboard. I have large hands and pretty long fingers. Typing on the 11 inch felt very cramped...

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I had an original 13" Rev. A and then acquired the Rev. B model. Currently using the mid-2011 13". I seriously looked at the 11 inch - weight and size matter as I travel constantly. My reason for staying with the 13" was a matter of hand comfort on the keyboard. I have large hands and pretty long fingers. Typing on the 11 inch felt very cramped...

I thought the 13 and 11 inch MBA had the exact same size keyboard except for the top row keys?

RHA

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
Chicagoland
I thought the 13 and 11 inch MBA had the exact same size keyboard except for the top row keys?

Its not just the size of keyboard. Have to include the rest of the bezel - the whole hand placement, at least for me, felt cramped.

sugardrum

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Like one of the other repliers here I too went from a 15" MacBook Pro (2007) to a 11" MBA. It's great. I usually have it connected to a 23" monitor but I find the screen fine to work on when using it out and about.

My use for it includes coding websites in Sublime Text and running a local apache and mysql server as a dev environment for web development, recording audio in Logic express, creating music videos in iMovie, emails, web browsing and writing fiction in Scrivener.

I use full screen mode for things like Scrivener and on the rare occasion that I find any text too small to read I just lift the laptop up and briefly move it closer to my eyes :)

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I had the 2010 11 inch and I enjoyed it during the time I had it. Once I bought it I stopped using my ipad all together. It was so much more functional. I ended up selling it though after the newness wore off about a 7 months later. When it came time to buy an air again i choose the 13 inch 2012. I was much happier with the larger screen. It definitely gets more use. I have been debating getting an ultimate 2012 11 inch for more portability now and also an external screen.

Apple law states you want what you dont have. so if you have a 13 you will wish you had an 11 and if you had an 11 you will wish you had the 13.

That's why I tried out both at the same time and kept the one I went to the most. The 13" was more practical, but portability mattered more to me so I went with the 11" Air. The bezel thing did bother me at first like many, but after really using the laptop for awhile I no longer even pay attention to the bezel. Silver bezel does blend into the work environment, lighting, and white background very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.