Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
apple says on its website that you CAN use ipad charger (10W [or 12W - the newest one]) to charge iphone / ipod touch (5W), and that's true, you CAN, but SHOULD you?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...me-power-adapter-for-iphone-and-ipad-10283982

FYI i tend to use a device until it breaks, i usually don't replace a good-working device because there's a new model, so i expect to see my device work ok for years :D

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
No such thing as you should or shouldn't use one, but you certainly can if you want it to charge faster.

Jelliess

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I wouldn't use the iPad charger to charge my ipod. Cause the power output is bigger. Normally is 5W but for iPad is 10W. This may cause damages to the battery in the long run.

Not so sure about this but i wouldn't take a risk :)
I have tried charging my itouch with ipad charger before, but the charging didn't start. So yeah I chose not to. :)

Juliemcg1

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Colorad
iPad Charger works just fine

I have been using it to charge my nano for the last year and it works fine. Nothing indicates that there is a problem.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
You could use a 1000000 watt adapter, but the iPod will only pull its max amount (5 watts I think) anyone who says using more watts is beneficial for the ipod/iphone has no idea what they're talking about.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Universal question.

Some prefers to use Iphone charger for ipod and some dont mind as long as it charged. Tell you what, get another adaptor for $19 (the one that sold seperately without cable) and have a great night sleep without worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.