Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:18 AM   #26
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Might as well go ahead and put a Retina screen on them... since we have to wait anyway.
WhoDaKat is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:20 AM   #27
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulji View Post
Why is the hardware aging? Intel's next-gen Haswell processors aren't gonna be out till the summer. This is still very good hardware.
For the next few months .. Yes
Oh yes and we still pay a full retail price for this barely up-to-date machine
iSayuSay is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 AM   #28
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner?
Because they're cool

The Apple retailers must be hurting, no iMac's apart from the ones in stock to sell over the holidays. The Mini is looking more tempting every day! Get it then wait for the 2015 iMac when the Apple care is about to run out

BTW I really hate how they are calling it an 'all new' design, it's like when Porsche comes out with a 'new' 911. Yes the iMac is thinner, lighter and faster and on the inside things are different but visually from the front little has changed. Just like the latest 911.
Lancer is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 AM   #29
David085
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Might as well go ahead and put a Retina screen on them... since we have to wait anyway.
I totally agree with you there they should add a Retina Display version like they did with the MBP's for theses that been waiting for a Retina iMac the longest time Apple is slow.
David085 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:25 AM   #30
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

This thing does not even have a retina display, why does it take such a long time to manufacture?

Next year:"We are going to introduce a revolutionary iMac with this amazing retina display."
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:26 AM   #31
TSE
macrumors 68030

Dammit... shoulda sold at 700.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:27 AM   #32
emaja
macrumors 68000

I thought Cook was the master of the supply chain. How did he miss this one so badly?
emaja is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:31 AM   #33
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy34 View Post
Well I can tell this will annoy people.
CAPTAIN OBVIOUS?! Where have you BEEN!?
komodrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:33 AM   #34
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Geez, Apple! GRRR. You guys need to get your act together. Shortage? WTH? It's time to send Tim back to COO position. We need visionary and a real leadership to run this company. I have a feeling the board members are VERY DISPLEASED with how the Tim had been running the company.
koban4max is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:41 AM   #35
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Leave tim alone!

See what you have done!

All Tim wanted to do is release a product at a keynote that the rumors sites hadn't already leaked and was drooled on by thousands of people.

Tim had to rush the announcement before it got leaked and now few time tables have slipped and now the product is going to be late to market.

Not to mention the poor Foxconn workers are going to have to work triple unpaid overtime just to make up for the delay.
lostngone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:45 AM   #36
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

Real reason....Samsung told Apple their iMac parts will not be available until "later". This war between two tech titans will end badly for everyone involved...
SeattleMoose is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:45 AM   #37
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

What a complete failure, compromising performance and usability for thinness. Can't wait to carry my iMac around, its gonna be so thin!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:46 AM   #38
Kirk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
Geez, Apple! GRRR. You guys need to get your act together. Shortage? WTH? It's time to send Tim back to COO position. We need visionary and a real leadership to run this company. I have a feeling the board members are VERY DISPLEASED with how the Tim had been running the company.
Give it a couple of years and prepare for the second coming of Scott Forstall to save the day.
Kirk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:47 AM   #39
jashic
macrumors member

well, maybe they should put the older imacs back in the store. It's a better design anyways. Never understood why you need a superthin imac. In reality, isn't even that thin. It's just thin at the edges. In the middle, it has a huge bulge like its pregnant. It's thin if you place it on your desk and stare at it at exactly a 78 degree angle.

lol.

What a complete disaster.

Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays....and of course a Mac Pro lineup that's slower than a Mac mini. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.

Last edited by jashic; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
jashic is offline   52 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:50 AM   #40
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Ok. So thinner body but same low rez fuzz screen. What is the point of these iMacs?

Can someone answer why in the world they would upgrade from existing iMac??

Tim?
iChrist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:52 AM   #41
jashic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
What a complete failure, compromising performance and usability for thinness. Can't wait to carry my iMac around, its gonna be so thin!
That's next year. A 27" iMac Air. It's so thin that you can't use a usb keyboard. you'll have to use the onscreen keyboard. Physical keyboards are soooo PC. We don't need them.
jashic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:53 AM   #42
Chevelle
macrumors member

Great example of why I'm done with Apple.
Chevelle is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:53 AM   #43
emaja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Ok. So thinner body but same low rez fuzz screen. What is the point of these iMacs?

Tim?
Besides quad cores all around, better graphics, USB 3, and Fusion Drive - yeah, why would you upgrade?

emaja is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:55 AM   #44
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
For the next few months .. Yes
Oh yes and we still pay a full retail price for this barely up-to-date machine
"Announce first, ship later"? It's Microsoft's style! Even for the (white) iPhone 4's epic delay at least we could buy the black version...!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:57 AM   #45
intothepolis
macrumors regular

This would never have happened if Steve was still there.
intothepolis is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:58 AM   #46
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashic View Post
well, maybe they should put the older imacs back in the store. It's a better design anyways. Never understood why you need a superthin imac. In reality, isn't even that thin. It's just thin at the edges. In the middle, it has a huge bulge like its pregnant. It's thin if you place it on your desk and stare at it at exactly a 78 degree angle.

lol.

What a complete disaster.

Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays making the current version 2 years old....and of course a Mac Pro lineup where the Macbook Airs are almost faster. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.
They should've gone the Retina MBP route - to release the new thing with new design and radical-everything, but also update and ship the existing models first so that anyone who want to buy a regular MBP will not fill up the limited amount of all new rMBP.

Epic fail Apple. Too many in 2012.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:04 AM   #47
L3g4to
macrumors newbie

omg you gotta be kidding me, first the long update, now they presented it but we have still wait for it? getting really tired of this **** apple, you are not making friends...
L3g4to is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:04 AM   #48
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

So Apple takes the unusual step of introducing a series of products one after the other, introducing products earlier than the normal cycle, and pushing out a variety of updates. Albeit before the holidays, it's not a common occurrence. In fact, it's almost as if they are clearing room to introduce some new products . I don't think "the board" is upset with Tim at all. They understand the inherent issues with this collections of introductions, but the dividends come later.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:07 AM   #49
ryedarrow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Ouch... gonna hurt their holiday season.

I'm waiting on a new Thunderbolt Display for my rocking new Mac Mini!
+1 LOVE my new quad core mini with fusion drive. HD4000 has performed significantly better than I was hoping. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM on Amazon for $70. Yes Please.

I'm running FCP X (along with everything else open) and haven't skipped a beat!
ryedarrow is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:08 AM   #50
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbt15 View Post
So it's going to be 6 months out of spec before it even hits shelves.

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
It feels that way, but I wasn't expecting them to rush something out the second ivy hit. If anything, look at this as easy motivation to skip a first generation product. Just don't expect a Haswell version to show up within 6 months. I think they'll ride it out until the fall. The last thing I recall suggested next generation panel resolution around 2014. That may be a logical time to expect a resolution bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post

Tim?
I don't get the "fuzz" screen description. I've used the ipads. The sharpness is great, but at the appropriate viewing distance, do these really bother you? I could see it with some of the ancient notebooks with gigantic pixels, but modern hardware isn't really tough on the eyes. There's also no good reason to feel like the thing should warrant annual upgrades. While some people may do this, it's an atypical cycle.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion