Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 28, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1
kjs862
macrumors 65816

.mkv to iTunes

I was just curious if someone can give me the best possible advice on how to convert a .mkv movie file to play in iTunes.

I have bought visual hub, but not too sure of what settings to use. Also I read of this 4gb file limit; not too sure what to do about that.

Also when the .mkv movie file is finally in iTunes how does the quaility compare to the original? If it doesn't compare I'm thinking about holding out on all this converting and just burning the.mkv file to a blueray disk.
kjs862 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Mernak
macrumors 6502

If you don't need to convert it for compatibility reasons (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod, etc) and just want to organize it using iTunes, just load the mkv in Quicktime (with Perian) and once it is loaded, save it as a reference movie and add that to iTunes (which also stops it from needing to load for so long when you first open it)
Old May 29, 2008, 05:40 AM   #3
northy124
macrumors 68020

Search before you post, I personally have come too the conclusion that it is worthless to convert a .MKV to .MP4 as you do lose hell of alot of quality.
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
EgbertAttrick
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mernak View Post
If you don't need to convert it for compatibility reasons (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod, etc) and just want to organize it using iTunes, just load the mkv in Quicktime (with Perian) and once it is loaded, save it as a reference movie and add that to iTunes (which also stops it from needing to load for so long when you first open it)
I have tried to save as a reference movie, but Save As... is greyed out. Using QT 7 Pro... Has anyone else run across this?
EgbertAttrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:53 PM   #5
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Plenty

There are several apps that can do this, especially if the video is h.264. You can pull the raw video and audio out of the mkv and repackage it into a quicktime compatible mp4/m4v with absolutely no loss in quality

MKVtools is one
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
I was just curious if someone can give me the best possible advice on how to convert a .mkv movie file to play in iTunes.

I have bought visual hub, but not too sure of what settings to use. Also I read of this 4gb file limit; not too sure what to do about that.

Also when the .mkv movie file is finally in iTunes how does the quaility compare to the original? If it doesn't compare I'm thinking about holding out on all this converting and just burning the.mkv file to a blueray disk.
Handbrake, check out the apple tv section for more info.
Dobbs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store