Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Jeeez, since when did all these forum members develop an intricate knowledge of Apples management and how Tim Cook is apparently screwing everything up? I mean, really, get some perspective and understand that you are not qualified to draw such ridiculous bar room conclusions based on a delayed iMac and other perceived issues - it's like listening to Cliff from Cheers pontificating on issues he knows nothing about.

Please, can the amateur commentators lay of the Apple CEO and prematurely predict his downfall - if you're such fans of the Apple brand why not show some solidarity and support rather than finding every opportunity to put the boot in. Hate to break it to you guys but Apple, under Steve Jobs, also had it's fair share of issues and mistakes, all that he touched did not turn to gold.

woody74

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Have to say that this is a bit of a pain. Apple why announce a product and not release it for a couple of months. Fair enough when it is a brand new product line. But we need some more iMacs for work and just can't get any. Apple must be losing a fortune with this. If people need a computer then they need a computer now. Why not just hold off the announcement until you have stocks to ship, bloody annoying. iMac's have to one of their major lines and not being able to supply them during the holiday season or actually at any time in the year is a real pain. This is the type of thing that makes companies say, sod this we are going back to PC's

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
an extra reason of many I'm glad I didn't buy the new one lol :D The day after the announcement I bought the previous gen, Loving it :)

Other reasons being...

1. 5400RPM Drive?
2. No Optical Drive
3. No upgradable RAM
4. £99 more expensive
5. No Firewire
6. SD Card slot now on the back

I know some of its flaws can be solved with adaptors and what not, but it should be cheaper as its lacking a lot of crucial things, not more expensive, so I don't get it LOL.

all for the sake of thinness no thanks. I'm putting 32GB RAM in mine and buying a thunderbolt SSD and I'll be all set. I can imagine for the things I do RAW editing in Aperture a 5400RPM drive will be painfully slow.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Plus there is zero evidance for the delay.. The site still has the original release dates.
All this becouse of some rumor from some obscure french blog!

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Believe it or not.. Some people actually like nice esthetic design.

Nobody's seen it yet, except a handful of writers at the announcement.

Can you find a single clear photo of the rear of thing? How big is the bulge? What happened to Apple's spinnable QuickTime images of their computers? They don't want anyone to notice that the thinness is just an illusion based on the edge.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have reached the point where all I want is a simple answer from Apple. I have two 21.5" machines to spec. and order for two friends who are new to Mac. This uncertainty is not a good advertisement for the company, and does nothing to create a positive impression on new buyers.

Apple: Just tell us WHEN you will be shipping the new Imac's....Then the information is out there, I can pass it along, and this constant rumour mongering will stop. So....Answer the simple question please.

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
I have reached the point where all I want is a simple answer from Apple.

Apple: Just tell us WHEN you will be shipping the new Imac's....Then the information is out there, I can pass it along, and this constant rumour mongering will stop. So....Answer the simple question please.

Er... it's on the website--November and December. :rolleyes:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I think people need to remember this is just a rumour.....I have to agree with previous posters that the "delay" between announcement and release just creates a void which will quickly be filled up with rumour.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
There's no advantage to using CDs except for maybe the nostalgia of using it. It is inferior to technology offerings available today.

Plus if you really want to burn/rip CD/DVD or even BluRay get the external USB one, use it then put it in a draw until you need it again. Or if you have a 2nd Mac/PC then you can share that drive with the new iMac.

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
It is, but we now have rumours which would seem to indicate that the are about to change that. A simple confirmation is all I want.

Same when we had rumors about Imacs coming out in July..... August..... September... and not even 2012..... Never mind the techspecs and all the other stuff.

It is what it is: A rumor!

As long as we dont have End of November, or Apple comes out with a staement, it should be treated like this.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Nobody's seen it yet, except a handful of writers at the announcement.

Can you find a single clear photo of the rear of thing? How big is the bulge? What happened to Apple's spinnable QuickTime images of their computers? They don't want anyone to notice that the thinness is just an illusion based on the edge.

So the bulge size on the back of the iMac is the critical spec for your buying decision?

Just asking.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
"Apple has run into difficulties ramping up production on its more recent product launches as the company pushes the envelope on what is physically possible."

Yawn.

You know, if the wait was for some new manufacturing technique that would actually make the computer significantly FASTER, it might actually be worth it.

So its so advanced that the rest of the world just hasn't caught up with it yet... which is why we are all still stuck with our old Imacs and even older Mac Pros... because we are all so far ahead of the curve, you know. No optical drive.... because its so advanced. 5400rpm drive... because its so advanced. (Thunderbolt, anyone?.... anyone?)

I see cannon fodder for a new Samsung commercial for the holidays:

Two hipsters bragging about that amazing, magical and sophisticated new welding technique for a computer they can't even buy until next year.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I Foresee massive issues, due to screen yellowing issues because of the now bonded glass to LCD, heat issues because of the stupid anorexic case and drive failures because of the first two combining to kill the impossible to service proprietary drives.

So, nothing new for an apple product these days, Good job the Windows 8 All-In-Ones due out are on par with the 2011 iMac, AND have fully user replaceable stock HDDs, Ram and in some cases, Video cards, Hackintosh here i come.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I knew I made the right decision to buy the mini instead. The new iMac has no FireWire, no Audio in, limited options for RAM replacement, and it still doesn't exist. And you can't buy the old ones from Apple either.

The new mini still has FireWire and Audio in. You can buy a third-party decent monitor and RAM, and even throw in a Fusion Drive and an external SuperDrive, and still have change from the money you would have spent on an iMac.

If you need a new desktop Mac now: get a mini. Otherwise, keep waiting. My patience ended, and I'm very happy with the little beast.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
It still clearly states "Available in November" (for the 21.5" model) on the Apple Store. I don't think Apple would lie to us this blatantly. No doubt they'll be in short supply due to supply constraints, and holiday demand - but I'm sure it'll ship.

Maybe they should delay it in France, though, just for writing such a dumb article.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Well if this is true then there won't be a 27" iMac sitting under my tree.....something tells me it was never going to fit anyway :p

over in Scotland, I went in to 3 apple stores last week and they had the old iMacs on display, as well as Currys and Tesco. I have been so close in buying one, but then I think naaaa, I'll wait for the new model.:D

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
To be perfectly honest, Apple would have been better advised to make an incremental update on the May 2011 revision iMac and leave the fancy stuff until Haswell was launched in second quarter of 2013 - instead we have this omnishambles of a new iMac that many are none too impressed with given most users do not want a 'iPad on a stick' which effectively the new delayed model is.

God, how difficult would it have been to move to updated GPU, 8G RAM standard, 1T HDD Standard and USB3 ports.

The love affair with iOS inspired hardware has gone too far, an iMac was supposed to be an all in one solution that had appealing looks and did not have to be super thin - too much emphasis on thinness and not enough on utility me thinks, and that includes an optical drive which many still use if only maybe once a month.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
All in the name of making the edges thinner! I think they are getting the wrong "WOW" factor this time.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Because it's Tim's fault that the welding process is causing problems.
No, but it's his fault that he chose to push forward with this design change before manufacturers were ready. The iMac 2012 should have been a spec bump while they perfected the construction process. Voila, christmas sales saved. Right now, you can't even order the former iMac from the online Apple Store here. And you can't reserve the new one either. It's a total sales stop for everything iMac if you want it directly from Apple, and the stop will risk remaining throughout the holiday season.

This has never happened before.

This is a pretty major goof up. He can't make them build the new iMac designs faster, no, but he could have had a perfectly fine lineup ready right now. Apple could have been shipping very fast iMacs, top-perfoming all-in-one desktops right as I am typing this. It's a pretty damn important season to save. The most important one in the year. Risking that one for a questionable design change (please tell me how a slightly thinner non-portable 27" desktop will help me) just isn't good enough.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It still clearly states "Available in November" (for the 21.5" model) on the Apple Store. I don't think Apple would lie to us this blatantly. No doubt they'll be in short supply due to supply constraints, and holiday demand - but I'm sure it'll ship.

they'll wait til nov 30th before they change the date to "coming soon" just like with iTunes 11 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.