Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Anyone who is using a lot of iMovie and or heavy gaming isn't going to use an iPad but a Mac of some kind

Depends on how you use it. If you want to run demanding games on the go or places where you wouldn't take Macbook then the iPad is a great fit. Same goes for iMovie, if you had your iPad on holiday and wanted to render simple but lengthy movies then again the increased horsepower in the 4 is a good fit.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
It's a 4S but still... don't make fun of the 64GB iPhones!

Attachments

• Photo Nov 15, 19 35 21.png
    Photo Nov 15, 19 35 21.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 60

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Agreed. I use my 3 primarily for content consumption and the occasional game. For 98% of my use, the 4 offers no perceivable advantage over the 3. I've seen the multiple video comparisons of app and page loads - almost impossible to tell the difference.

I totally disagree. Web browsing is BLAZING fast. Apps load very quickly and there is absolutely no lagging. This upgrade will end up costing me only about a $175 when my last generation sells. That's less than a dollar a day for using it for the past 7 months, which is something I can tolerate.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Marginally better? Surely you jest. Sell your iPad 3 as soon as possible and move up the New iPad with Retina display 4 as it simply blows away the old last generation iPad3. You should have kept an eye on chip architecture progress, if you had been attentive you would have been an informed consumer and never purchased the old iPad 3 in the first place. It truly is a pity for those stuck with an iPad 3. :D

Somebody has their smug boy pants on. I bought iPad4 to replace my iPad2 and while its noticeably faster than the 2 in real world use I wouldn't say it blows the older iPad away in anything other than bench marks. It's a nice improvement over the 2/3 but hardly any reason to gloat.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Sold my ipad 3 16gb wifi yesterday for 380 and got the 4 and glad I did as I like gaming. The 3 is to underpowed for the games that are gonna be comming out. 150 dollars is nothing to upgrade compared to a pc where grahics cards cost 300+ with little resale value on old one.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Wait, you can download music from Slacker? This I did not know

Not songs, but you can cache up to 25 stations. So at work, I don't have to use bandwidth, which makes my 2GB plan unlimited for all practical purposes, and it also works a lot better when the network is flaky (the system in my building at work is flaky). It's annoying to go through an select them one by one at first, but once you have it set up, it's pretty slick, and really easy to refresh them.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
My wife and I just got the new Ipad with the A6X...WOW...It is FAST, practically seamless in operation...Apps load instantly and gameplay is smooth...Boots up and shuts down fast....I thought our iphone 5 was fast, and it is, but this is even on another level.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
I totally disagree. Web browsing is BLAZING fast. Apps load very quickly and there is absolutely no lagging. This upgrade will end up costing me only about a $175 when my last generation sells. That's less than a dollar a day for using it for the past 7 months, which is something I can tolerate.

That's not bad at all....High resale value is nice!

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
It's a 4S but still... don't make fun of the 64GB iPhones!

Agreed, I always go max capacity.

Cloud is great for documents etc but is the enemy of high bitrate music and video. I have true unlimited data here in the UK, its fast and I get great signal almost everywhere, but its useless in larger buildings, specifically the gym, for streaming. I hear people respond with "wifi hotspots!" but they're universally **** for anything beyond basic browsing. Equally, having to rely on the off chance you're even near one is a ballache. But, given how much I hear people praise the cloud for everything, I assume the majority are happy with crappy 128kbps music and low bitrate video. Urgh. Local storage FTW.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My wife and I just got the new Ipad with the A6X...WOW...It is FAST, practically seamless in operation...Apps load instantly and gameplay is smooth...Boots up and shuts down fast....I thought our iphone 5 was fast, and it is, but this is even on another level.

Bet I will see a big difference from my ipad 2 when I get the 4 next month

iPadLoverBe

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
3 > 4 ... Good move

Got my iPad 4...3 is up for sale. Got a gift card for staying with Verizon FIOS which was unrelated to this, that should make up a lot of the difference. I am a very heavy user both at work and at home, so am used to the 3 speed. I noticed the speed difference immediately. I have a very fast WIFI and saw the difference as people have said browsing right away. LTE is quicker of course as well. The main reason for the upgrade though was that I have a photography side business and as part of my workflow, immediately import my 28MB raw photos into the iPad. It takes forever on my iPad 3, but gives me some security should my SD card go bad ...always have your photos in two places...photo gospel. I will take a bunch of photos over Thanksgiving and post up feelings on speed both in upload and in iPhoto performance. I am hoping for a bigger difference than less hefty CPU/GPU chores.

You know what though, that's a great rationalization, but I absolutely love the snap I am getting just doing normal things. I know, read all the crap about it not making a big difference, but I am seeing it. Good choice if you can get away with a good resale and don't have to spend a lot on the upgrade.

RHAngel

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
This is my iPad 4.

Black image in full dark, 50% brightness and 100% brightness.

Too bad I'm living in third world country and have no chance to exchange ipads to find a good one because I don't have an apple store :)

Attachments

• _CSC7030.JPG
    _CSC7030.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 47
  • _CSC7031.JPG
    _CSC7031.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 54

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This is my iPad 4.

Black image in full dark, 50% brightness and 100% brightness.

Too bad I'm living in third world country and have no chance to exchange ipads to find a good one because I don't have an apple store :)

funny how my new ipad 4 is the EXACT same as your's in terms of light leak! But I don't care because never do I watch a movie in full darkness with the screen brightness at 100%! Unless that part of the movie was all black to begin with, I see no issues worth hassling about!

RHAngel

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
funny how my new ipad 4 is the EXACT same as your's in terms of light leak! But I don't care because never do I watch a movie in full darkness with the screen brightness at 100%! Unless that part of the movie was all black to begin with, I see no issues worth hassling about!
I see no issues too, but ... this is the 4 gen and still the same. Again and again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.