Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:48 AM   #51
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
Why are they more expensive than apple's genuine products?
StrikeBolt Charger isn't a bad deal. Compare w/ Apple:

2 12v chargers = $40
1 Lightning Cable =$20

So to charge two devices that's $60 w/ Apple's accessories. The Strike Bolt is $50 w/ cable and you don't have to carry around two adapters to charge two devices simultaneously.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #52
lcs101
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deppisch View Post
Oh, "strike"... I get it. Like striking a match. Because it matches your lightning connector.

Wait.
This had me laughing. Well played!
lcs101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #53
inlinevolvo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek4484 View Post
Holy smokes that's expensive. I really dont like buying knock-offs but I will NOT spend $50 for a car charger. EBay knock-offs here I come!

----------

Does it work properly? Or is it only good for charging? The Lightning connector has a built in microchip that automatically adjusts pin functionality.
The listing says it charges and can handle data. The chip has been reverse engineered already. I'll post back once I receive it.
inlinevolvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #54
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

I've got enough 30 pin chargers around the house right now. So I just bought the Apple attachment for $30. That way I can have one cord and switch between charger for iPhone 5 and iPad 3, as well as other folks older iPhones.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #55
jasheeky
macrumors member

Will somebody just make a 6 ft cable already!??
jasheeky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:30 AM   #56
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEBonus View Post
What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers.
There is a purpose (at least for iPhones and iPod) to take up less room. I think a lot of people do not realize how much stuff there is inside their phones.

If you think Apple really doesn't need to keep making their phones thinner and lighter, I will not disagree (I have NEVER heard anyone complain about how their iPhone was too thick or heavy, any iPhone) that is another issue, but as long as they are reducing the size (as most electronics companies do) the components need to become smaller.

The 30 Pin connector lasted 9 years, has any modern multi-function connector for small portable devices lasted that long? Micro USB started in 2007, as long as it is not replaced with another version of USB (like the Mini USB was, after it started in 2000) then it will outlast the 30 Pin.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheeky View Post
Will somebody just make a 6 ft cable already!??
How about 9 ft? Well, I am sure you meant a Lightning cable. How about a 6 foot extension for the short Apple one? Not as elegant as a single clean wire, but it is cheap and they come in different lengths to fit your specific needs.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:35 AM   #57
scar4711
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
----------

[/COLOR]

How about 9 ft?
How about.. 10ft? (and available in Black!
scar4711 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:35 AM   #58
bhuwan
macrumors newbie

Why, oh Why do you have to make this cable so expensive apple? Don't I already give you enough of my $$...?
bhuwan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:54 AM   #59
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
What i really want is a dock!
Me too!
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:59 AM   #60
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Um, whats the big deal?

And why don't they sell the cable separate?

And its VERY, VERY late. 2 months late.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:08 AM   #61
MN7119
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Yup, that's what I just did. Just bought a couple of additional lightning cables for our cars to use with our existing in-car USB chargers.
What type of USB car chargers do you guys have? I have 2 different ones that I usually use on my car or planes to charge my iPad or bluetooth car handsfree but none of them worked in my car with the lightning cable.
MN7119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM   #62
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar4711 View Post
and a lot cheaper!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:19 AM   #63
Mr.Spahkol
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
I'm at a loss to understand why the major charger manufacturers like Belkin and Scosche continue to sell hardwired charges in this age of USB connectors. Instead of being able to replace a bad cable or a bad charger, you have to replace the whole unit? Who buys these things? Is it just because people don't know any better?
No it's because it's a requirement by Apple. It's either a significantly different kind of cable (the dual cable) or it's hard-wired for 3rd-parties. Other than that, you can buy Apple's $20 cable and use a USB charger.
Mr.Spahkol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:39 AM   #64
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

These product names are wacked.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:27 PM   #65
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN7119 View Post
What type of USB car chargers do you guys have? I have 2 different ones that I usually use on my car or planes to charge my iPad or bluetooth car handsfree but none of them worked in my car with the lightning cable.
Well both my wife and I are currently using Belkin's Bluetooth CarAudio Connect AUX so we can get wireless audio in the car, but I particularly like this Bluetooth receiver because it also has a charging port, freeing your car charger. Charges our iphone 5s great.

http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U037-Belkin/p/P-F4U037

I also have a Griffin powerjolt dual and a Kensington powerbolt and they work just fine too.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:32 PM   #66
FooMan2011
macrumors member

Guys, isn't it cheaper to use the small USB car charger with a $19.99 cable from apple? That's what I did and it works perfect.
FooMan2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:58 PM   #67
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

Why not make one with an aux out jack? I have a griffin autopilot (30-pin connector) that has the aux out jack. Prior to lightning bolt, I had it attached to a proclip 30-pin iphone cradle. Now that I have the iPhone 5, I removed the 30-pin from the cradle, purchased the 30-pin (female) to lightning (male) cable from Apple, and used Gorilla glue to attached the lightning end to the cradle -- now I have an iPhone 5 cradle that charges and passes audio to the griffin, and into my car's aux input.
DudeDad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:41 PM   #68
ironpony
macrumors member

Seems like saving a little space by going to the new connector has paid off quite well.

Do electric car manufacturers do the same, "you must use our new improved extension cord".

lol engineering marvel or marketing marvel, do the math both ways and I think the marketing guys win.
I might be wrong.
ironpony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:51 PM   #69
mdelvecchio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourMoreYears View Post
These cables should cost no more than $4.99. To think that people will buy these, just falling in line like the Monster HDMI cables.
oh yeah? which hardware company do you run? where can i buy your products, since they're 90% cheaper than the competition?
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:20 PM   #70
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Watt...I want to know is. What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers. Talk about cynical. Oh no. Sorry. These lightning connectors are really great aren't they? Smaller. Slimmer. Lighter. Thinner. Smaller.
Oh no! What am I saying? They're a pointless and unecessary 'upgrade' and have no discernible/practical advantage overt the old 30 pin other than being...smaller, lighter, thinner ... Unless that's the whole point is it?
Unless the whole point is that it's still better? People have said plenty of reasons. I'll just highlight one.

This is the microUSB spec. In there, you'll find that the maximum current rating for microUSB is 9 Watts.

30-pin apparently supports at least 10 Watts, as in the iPad 3.
Lightning apparently supports at least 12 Watts.

People obviously aren't happy that tablets charge slower. So if you think it's Apple's just doing this to gouge you and piss off the EU....

Motorola Xoom tablet charges better through the barrel instead of microUSB.
Acer Iconia Tab A500, barrel.
ASUS Transformer, pogo pins.
LG G-Slate, barrel.
Samsung Galaxy Tab, not microusb either.
Nexus 10, magnetic pogo pins.... and not even released yet.
Nook Color, extended length non-standard microusb

http://voltaicsystems.com/blog/tablet-charging-guide/
http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-included.html
hchung is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:17 PM   #71
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post
I purchased a cigarette lighter to usb on eBay months ago for like 1$ each or whatever the cheapest ones from Hong Kong were. I purchased like 3-4 expecting them to fail. I'm still using the first one I plugged in with no problems, with my Apple USB to Lighting cable.

I recommend eBay for those adapters.
I saw lots of them on there, but I read tons of reviews about them tearing up the wiring in the cars somehow, so I decided $9 would be a cheap enough precaution to make sure it wouldn't tear up my car in any way

----------

Quote:
Watt...I want to know is. What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers. Talk about cynical. Oh no. Sorry. These lightning connectors are really great aren't they? Smaller. Slimmer. Lighter. Thinner. Smaller.
Oh no! What am I saying? They're a pointless and unecessary 'upgrade' and have no discernible/practical advantage overt the old 30 pin other than being...smaller, lighter, thinner ... Unless that's the whole point is it?

Paying forty quid for a car charger. That's alright isn't it? Worth the extra readies for .... Oh no ... What am I saying ... It's the biggest case of Kings Clothes Syndrome since .... Well ... Please enjoy the cash outlay whilst I use my PoundLand adaptor for me 4S will yIu pleased. Cheers
While I think everyone can agree that they're overpricing these accessories and chargers, you're an idiot if you don't think the lightning was worth the upgrade.

I love being able to just plug my phone in, not worrying about whether I have it the right way or the wrong way.

The size is extremely small and sturdy, whereas the other one was massive and looked of the stone ages.

Yes, there were a ridiculous amount of accessories already made for the iPhone and iPad that are now useless, but it's not that big of a deal. You pay once or twice and have all of the chargers you need. Done.
thisisdallas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:39 PM   #72
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
[QUOTE=Ed217;16293104]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallworld69 View Post

The equation for power is basically P = I x V, where I is amps and V volts. Most car systems are 12V. So 12W is 1 amp at 12 volts. So a 5 amp fuse would carry 60 W, which is fine for a 12+12 charger.

Many accessory plugs may have much higher fuse ratings as they have to power things that take more than 60 W. I think many will have a 15 amp fuse to power things like a cig lighter or an air compressor for tires.
Fixed that, (5 X 12 = 60)

Not only that, when a car is running the voltage is higher than 12 volts, almost always 13.6 Volts so the output is even higher (78 Watts).

--------

It seems to me that Apple does not want manufacturers to sell USB chargers with detachable lightning cables included, it seems like only Apple will be able to sell USB to lightning cables.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:34 AM   #73
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Watt...I want to know is. What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers.

As many do, you're mistakenly assuming that "I don't see the point" = "no one sees the point". If you don't see the point then don't buy their lightning-equipped products. There are certainly reasons for lightning which have been discussed in many prior threads that you can refer to. IMO it's more of sad state of affairs that people think that they have to buy something that doesn't meet their needs/wants. Buy and use what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
I'm at a loss to understand why the major charger manufacturers like Belkin and Scosche continue to sell hardwired charges in this age of USB connectors. Instead of being able to replace a bad cable or a bad charger, you have to replace the whole unit? Who buys these things?
Why does it matter? If it doesn't work for you then don't buy it. If enough don't buy it won't be produced any longer.

If you really want to understand the core of the matter is that not everyone shares your specific needs/wants/priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeDad View Post
Why not make one with an aux out jack?
Who says that there won't be one? Just as it was before lightning, the existence of chargers without aux out did not preclude the existence of ones with aux out. Not everyone needs or wants aux out. If you do then wait for one to be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
While I think everyone can agree that they're overpricing these accessories and chargers, you're an idiot if you don't think the lightning was worth the upgrade.
Worth is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. Not agreeing with your sense of worth doesn't make one an idiot.

Last edited by takeshi74; Nov 15, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion