Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigZ243

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
There has been a lot of issues with Apple lately. Bugs in IOS, bugs in OSX, delayed shipping of products, Apple Maps, and arrogance. With all the thousands of people working for Apple, you would think that they would quality control every step of the process. It looks like the upper management is slipping.

It could have been and has since been rearranged. Hopefully it helps

sauceman38

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Bad Business

I finally have decided to jump in all Apple, and they start pulling this nonsense. Had to reserve the iPhone 4S, and have been waiting...and waiting...and waiting for the new/refreshed iMac. They were announced in October, one model was to be released in November and another in December. Can't even look to see what the anticipated price would be if you changed specs. And now there's a rumor that they won't be available until next year?!?! If this is true, there needs to be a further shakeup in management. This company knows that their products are in high demand, and yet they continually have shortages in supply. Maybe there's some rationale for that, but from a consumer perspective, it's making me think twice about investing heavily in Apple products.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The only thing that's a fail is another "Steve wouldn't have blah blah blah" post. :rolleyes: if I remember correctly we saw a white iPhone 4 at 2010 WWDC yet it wasn't available until 2011. That was under Steve's watch.

Yes, but I said 95%, not 100%. Also said major product launch. A color is not a major product launch, it's a variation. The black iPhone 4 launched on schedule. People were upset white didn't come out but most bought the black instead. Apple didn't lose sales because of the delay, just made customers a bit grumpy.

That's not the case here. Apple will lose 2/3s of a quarter of iMac sales, maybe even a full quarter. That is significant. If you think that would have happened under Job's watch OK. I do not. He made blunders, but not like this.

First, it is very likely that this new iMac design was green-lighted by Steve Jobs. To invoke "Steve would have never done this" probably doesn't line up with the timeline....

Speed bump how? The switch to Ivy Bridge involved a change to the mainboard to use the new USB 3.0, new GPUs, and other updates. The size and shape of the new 2012 motherboards is incompatible with the 2011 ones. If they stuck with Sandy Bridge components you'd heard the wail of "its ancient technology .... oh the agony.... fail ".

The fact is folks can still buy an iMac if they want one.

Go to google and search on "iMac buy" and click on the "Shopping tab". It even show you local stores with them in many cases. Amazon, Frys.com , Abt , Bhphoto , etc. all have them. Retailers like Best Buy etc. all have them.

1. Steve being involved in design is not the point. I never said it was a bad design, so you are completely off topic there. Cook announcing them for sale when the manufacturing wasn't yet perfect for full-on ramp up is.

2. You cannot go to the Apple Store online or retail and buy a new iMac. Some 3rd party resellers have inventory still, yes, but who is going to buy one and near full price knowing they've been discontinued and an all new one w/ modern connectors has been announced? (Take a look at iPhone sales once mere speculation of a new phone hits the general Internet news feeds.)

3. Speed Bump: Bump up the Sandy Bridge proc in each model. Top of the line can get the 3.5ghz. That's what a speed bump is. You are suggesting a major overhaul which is what the new iMac is, but Apple can't push out.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Ugh, just stop already. There is always going to be unforeseen delays in products, Tim Cook has nothing to do with it. Nobody blamed Steve Jobs when the white iPhone 4 was delayed, but suddenly Tim Cook's name is getting dropped like crazy. Yes it is Apple's responsibility to ship a product on time, but to act like the sky is falling because a single product is delayed is silly.

Also stop complaining about design changes already, it's obvious there are plenty of people who like the change, so all you are doing is trying to start more fires.

First, I'm not trying to start any fires. Regardless of "whether there are plenty of people who like the change" it's a moronic change IMO. No good reason for it, and the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. This is from someone who owns two iMac 27" models, and who really, really wants to love the new product. But design trumped functionality too much this time. A line was crossed.

Second, I'm not trying to fry Cook here, but this is on him. Comparing this situation to the white iPhone is not fair. There were still iPhones available for purchase during the white iPhone debacle. Apple made the conscious decision to remove a self-admitted large portion of their product line from the market, and now can't deliver its replacement coming into the holidays (assuming, of course that this rumor is true). Not "sky is falling" territory. But certainly a major snafu on the hands of the leadership of the company. Again, while everyone makes mistakes, as a CEO who makes tens of millions of dollars a year, your job is to be nearly flawless in your strategic decision making. Especially your public-facing decisions. This is not the first time in a little over a year that Tim Cook has failed in this regard. Not the second time, either. If Apple were a football team, they wouldn't be making reservations for the Superbowl right now.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
But it's still a stupid 27" monitor. This glass panel is of no actual use and makes the overall design worse (glossy).

Yes I agree, but this is another topic. It doesn't change the fact that the new laminated screen is hard to build.

Anyway, everyone who saw the new iMac just after the Apple event says the new display is absolutely gorgeous thanks to this new technique. Pixels and colors jump out of the display.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
If they ship it too soon they might forget important parts ...like a CD/DVD writer/reader :rolleyes:

I mean seriously, who wants an all in one desktop that doesn't have the "All" part ? ? ?

Its thinner, yes, but who gives a crap ? You're not slipping it in your pocket , what't the point ?

ALL IN ONE ?

MoeSyzlak.jpg

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I have an even better idea. How about if you put all the innards in a case and hide it under the desk..then you could just have a lovely slim monitor on top.
Exactly!

After removing DVD drive it is no more sense to integrate CPU into display. All you need is thinner Thunderbolt display with most required ports and small box with power cord and thin Thunderbolt cable under your desk.

Basically this is just current Mac mini + Thunderbolt display. The reason, why Apple limiting Mac mini computing power and not offering any less compact models with desktop CPU and high performance graphic - it will generate less profit and smaller turnover than current iMac range and users will be able to upgrade only desktop unit leaving dispaly unchanged. It will also crush profit from MacPro. Nobody cares about Mac users anymore, everything is just about profit margin.

Yearly OS X upgrades, non-upgradable hardware - what else most of Mac users need to see to get the idea about current Apple business? Frankly, can't blame Apple. Someone from top management decided make a huge stock bubble and share price was risen parabolic. If company share price and market capitalisation increasing so rapidly - company have to run faster just to stay in the same place. And when it is no more possible - oops... and "Trees never grow into heaven.". It happens with a thousands of different companies and Apple will not be an exception.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Don't really understand the "why did they make it thinner??" complaints.

This is the iMac I've been waiting for. Significantly better graphics choices, fusion drive, and a less reflective screen. The fact that the machine is thinner and lighter and more aesthetically attractive is just icing on the cake.

Most of making the machine thinner just comes from not having a giant piece of glass over the display, so what could they have gained by keeping the old design? They were never going to put a desktop gpu in the thing, and for most consumers (like myself) the optical drive is a complete waste.

By keeping the old design, iMac could have better space, airflow and cooling. Less chance to overheat.

Fine, this is 2012, ditch the SuperDrive. Yet they can always keep the Fusion Drive, GTX680MX, less reflective screen and all the new features without reducing the thickness and save itself unnecessary problems. What can't be achieved by keeping the old [thick] design? It's a desktop anyway.

Have you seen 4th gen iPad teardown? Have you seen what advantage did the Lightning port brought over the old dock?

• Save some space? Nope
  • Help them to fit some additional/improved components? Nope
  • Bring additional port functionality? Nope
  • Help reduce thickness? Nope
  • Faster transfer rate? Nope

• Bring new compatibility problems? Yep
  • Need new expensive (yet limited) accessories? Yep

Some things just don't need to be thinner. New iMac included. So yes, "Why did they make it thinner"

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
If they shipped six months ago you'd be getting a very minor spec bump, and no improved display. The laminated display is the only reason I am even considering buying this machine.

Isn't the main reason for the laminated display just so they could make it thinner?

It's the same resolution, right? Does it offer any other improvements?

If not, I fail to see why that would be your motivation.

denmarkguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
new iMacs

the badge in Apple Store (on iMacs) has been changed to "Coming soon" (before coming in November)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I am really very disgusted by this. They have had a long time to sort this out.

----------

----------

the badge in Apple Store (on iMacs) has been changed to "Coming soon" (before coming in November)

still says Nov & Dec under the imac page.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Really the only issue us that they have no iMacs to sell at the moment. New products come when they are ready. But it's criminal from a business sense to ever be out of stock on a product line.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
2. You cannot go to the Apple Store online or retail and buy a new iMac. Some 3rd party resellers have inventory still, yes, but who is going to buy one and near full price knowing they've been discontinued and an all new one w/ modern connectors has been announced? (Take a look at iPhone sales once mere speculation of a new phone hits the general Internet news feeds.)

Yes you can, please remember that this is a worldwide forum. I was in 3 Apple stores in britain, as I stated in an earlier post, they are on display in both Glasgow stores and Dundee but Can't remember if they were discounted as well.

Currys and tescos also have them in stock, discounted in Currys but not tescos.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Isn't the main reason for the laminated display just so they could make it thinner?

It's the same resolution, right? Does it offer any other improvements?

If not, I fail to see why that would be your motivation.

Samsung uses a laminated screen on their plasma TV's and they had an issue with the screen de-laminating because the adhesive failed. The reason why the adhesive failed is because the plasma TV was paper thin. Let's hope the new iMac does not have this problem.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
If they are delayed, they should just make the announcement and mea culpa now and take the hit. And then they should delay til Haswell.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Samsung uses a laminated screen on their plasma TV's and they had an issue with the screen de-laminating because the adhesive failed. The reason why the adhesive failed is because the plasma TV was paper thin. Let's hope the new iMac does not have this problem.

I almost expect there will be problems regardless. Especially since now they must really be feeling the pressure to get something out.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
First, I'm not trying to start any fires. Regardless of "whether there are plenty of people who like the change" it's a moronic change IMO. No good reason for it, and the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. This is from someone who owns two iMac 27" models, and who really, really wants to love the new product. But design trumped functionality too much this time. A line was crossed.

OK, I'll bite. What "line" was crossed in the new design? The biggest change was the optical drive was pulled. But optical drives are so 20th century. They are just another place for dust and debris to enter the machine. If one really needs one and ext is, what $29, and you can bring it out if you need to install s/w. I think most people put their iMovies and such on YouTube now that it supports 1080p HD. I know I do.

The only major drawback to the 21.5" iMac is that there is no way for users to upgrade RAM after purchase. But the iMac has been upgrade unfriendly for sometime now. This just tightens the screw one step further. Most iMac users don't upgrade after purchase anyway though. Upgrade aficionados are going to need to wait to see what Apple announces to replace the Mac Pro next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.