Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:44 PM   #1
emt8q5
macrumors member

Outlook for Mac 2011 - where is the outbox

ok, so I updated outlook for Mac 2011 the other day. Since then, it seems my outbox has completely disappeared. Where in the world did it go?

Now I may be an idiot, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but this seems like the worst UI design conceivable. The fact that I have to come on a message board to ask where my outbox has gone is absolute insanity. Either I need to check into an nursing home at 27 years old, or MS is incompetent on a level and scale that should be criminal.

Which is it? Am I mentally defunct here, or where in the world is my outbox?

Thanks!
emt8q5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
thatisme
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt8q5 View Post
ok, so I updated outlook for Mac 2011 the other day. Since then, it seems my outbox has completely disappeared. Where in the world did it go?

Now I may be an idiot, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but this seems like the worst UI design conceivable. The fact that I have to come on a message board to ask where my outbox has gone is absolute insanity. Either I need to check into an nursing home at 27 years old, or MS is incompetent on a level and scale that should be criminal.

Which is it? Am I mentally defunct here, or where in the world is my outbox?

Thanks!
When you have a message sitting in the outbox, a link to it will appear just above the buttons for Mail, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, etc. (at the bottom of the mail folders window)
thatisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Sakan
macrumors newbie

@thatisme,

What you are describing was correct until latest Microsoft Outlook:mac 2011 update 14.2.0. It WAS showing up right there. But this latest update (only a few days ago) has disabled the OUTBOX. Instead there is a small status bar on the bottom right corner. But we can't stop or review the mail once it has moved to OUTBOX. Earlier this was possible!

@emt8q5,

I too am looking for it. And that's the reason I stumbled upon this page. Let's hope someone has an answer.
Sakan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:24 AM   #4
evansade
macrumors newbie

and another one, with the same problem and no solution....well done microsoft
evansade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:54 AM   #5
emt8q5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatisme View Post
When you have a message sitting in the outbox, a link to it will appear just above the buttons for Mail, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, etc. (at the bottom of the mail folders window)
As others have pointed out, that used to be the case; but is no longer true after the last update.

Still hoping someone can shed some light on this matter!
emt8q5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:43 AM   #6
thatisme
macrumors 6502

After updating, I still get the outbox notification above the folder listing on the left. I also have the status bar on the bottom right as you had mentioned.

I just tested it again by turning off the on-line mode on the tools tab, then sent an email to my secondary account, and the outbox appeared on the bottom left, just above the buttons for contacts, calendar, tasks, etc.

Outlook version 14.2.0

Last edited by thatisme; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: clarification
thatisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:07 AM   #7
MostlyIgnorant
macrumors newbie

Microsoft's response - submit a feature request

It appears this is an intentional change by Microsoft. They are inviting users to request that the outbox be restored in a future update, if users wish this to be reversed:
"This feature has been moved to the Progress window. If you choose Window > Progress, you'll be able to see when a message is sending and cancel it before it sends.

If this is a feature you’d like to see changed in future versions of Office for Mac, be sure to send your feedback by clicking Help > Send Feedback… in any Office application or by clicking on the link below:

Office for Mac | Product Feedback "
From: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/m...b?tab=MoreHelp
MostlyIgnorant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:46 AM   #8
niknox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyIgnorant View Post
It appears this is an intentional change by Microsoft. They are inviting users to request that the outbox be restored in a future update, if users wish this to be reversed:
Classic Microsoft mentality > "Let's remove a feature, for no apparent reason, then wait for our user base to get so frustrated with the software they request we bring it back."

It seems, once an outgoing message is stopped, the outbox appears where it used to. Quite why Microsoft feel we shouldn't need this option the first time mail is sent, I don't know.
niknox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:39 PM   #9
kbec
macrumors newbie

message trapped in outbox

Likewise, i'm trying to send a very large file, it keeps failing but i cannot get to 'outbox' to delete it It appears briefly if i restart outlook but i can't get to it in time.
kbec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10
RedpointRik
macrumors newbie

Ah, yes, thank you Microsoft

Solution for the missing Outbox that I have found:
1. Select "Work Offline" in the Outlook menu
2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.
4. You will still be offline and able to see the Outbox with the message that you want to delete.
5. Go back to the Outlook menu and again select "Work Offline", which will un-check that option and allow you to do a S/R.

Editorial: It is not only Microsoft that slights Macintosh, many software vendors are cheesy about Mac support. It is simply the cross we bear...
RedpointRik is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:17 PM   #11
jasmit53
macrumors newbie

Thanks RedpointRik!

You're brilliant! Thanks so much for coming up with this fix. It worked like a charm!
jasmit53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:07 AM   #12
mikelite
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It appears this is an intentional change by Microsoft. They are inviting users to request that the outbox be restored in a future update, if users wish this to be reversed...
Just what I was looking for, thanks MostlyIgnorant.
mikelite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:25 AM   #13
MCAsan
macrumors 68020

I am SO GLAD I retired a couple of months ago and dropped Windows and all the MS apps.

If had a dime for every Word blue screen....I could have retired early.
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:25 AM   #14
florwj
macrumors newbie

yes - thank you!

man - I was looking for 2 days for the email that everytime I signed in would be sending and failing - genius. And - I took a nice shot at Microsoft on the feedback link - that felt good too...
florwj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:31 PM   #15
garybooker
macrumors newbie

Outlook for Mac - Where is the Outbox

If you close Outlook, disconnect your Mac from the Internet (turn off WiFi and unplug any Ethernet cable) and restart Outlook, assuming there is something in it, you should find the "Outbox" folder just above the "Mail," "Calendar," "Contacts," etc. folder.
garybooker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:44 PM   #16
tgriffin33
macrumors newbie

Outlook for MAC 2011 missing Outbox Problem Fix

Today I sent a large zip file and it just kept sending it over and over but could not actually get it out due to it's size. I read the thread about how to fix but I did not have an Outbox to cure as I have seen here so many times. The easiest way I found to fix was simply as described go to file and go "off line". Then I sent another very short email to anyone and since I was working offline the message I just sent could not actually be sent and was put in the "Outbox" which did NOW show up with me being offline. I was able to then get into the OUTBOX and delete the oversize file and the short message I just sent. Once deleted I just went back into File and went "on line" again and Walla the problem was solved. Why MS and other vendors make their products for both platforms with different looks and peculiarities I will never know. Oh well I hope this helps someone.
tgriffin33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:06 AM   #17
sharbori
macrumors newbie

thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedpointRik View Post
2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.
4. You will still be offline and able to see the Outbox with the message that you want to delete.
5. Go back to the Outlook menu and again select "Work Offline", which will un-check that option and allow you to do a S/R.

Editorial: It is not only Microsoft that slights Macintosh, many software vendors are cheesy about Mac support. It is simply the cross we bear...
thank you. it worked like a charm. however, it is still a source of irritation that the Outbox will not be seen on online mode.
sharbori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:44 AM   #18
maszek
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedpointRik View Post
2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.
It worked like a spell for me. Couldn't find the outbox.
What's worse: messages that appear to be sent (Outlook's "mail sent" chime sounded) do not appear in my sent box either.
maszek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:08 AM   #19
simpsonathome
macrumors newbie

Outlook outbox

Hi
A large message is stuck in Outlook, continually trying to resend - but I can't find the Outbox so I can delete it. Can anyone help?
simpsonathome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:33 AM   #20
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonathome View Post
Hi
A large message is stuck in Outlook, continually trying to resend - but I can't find the Outbox so I can delete it. Can anyone help?
Have you tried this?
Quote:
"This feature has been moved to the Progress window. If you choose Window > Progress, you'll be able to see when a message is sending and cancel it before it sends."
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:58 AM   #21
RedwoodTree
macrumors newbie

Is this TOTAL ****ING STUPID INSANITY OR WHAT

just to stop ONE ****ING EMAIL from sending (or failing to send for days).

WTF SERIOUSLY>

it took me TEN Google searches to STOP THE ****ING PROGRAM from sending an email.

MS. Good luck. You get what you deserve now.

----------

and LEAVE IT (THE OUTBOX) THERE JESUS CHRIST HOW STUPID IS THIS

NOTHING ****ING STOPS THEM!!!!!!

AND you have to get to it with SECONDS or it disappears again!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

and let's pile THIS on top:

http://www.businessinsider.com/peopl...sional-2012-12

----------

even clicking "x" on progress window DOES NOT STOP THE ****ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they come back in about 4 seconds and RETRY

jesus, are you really this Stupid or is it me??????
Attached Images

RedwoodTree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:02 AM   #22
RedwoodTree
macrumors newbie

oh well, off to Thunderbird we go

i'm NOT wasting my life on THEIR stupid ****
RedwoodTree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:26 PM   #23
MacRumours1
macrumors newbie

Outlook 2011 Outbox

Wow, I should have come to this website months ago.

I had an outbox, or so I thought, but when I clicked on the outbox it was always completely empty. So for months, since the last upgrade I guess, Outlook has been trying to send a doomed too-big message, and I had no idea what it was doing from the progress bar. Sending? Syncing? Huh?

Today, thanks to you brilliant folks, now I know where to look for the temporary, usually-invisible outbox. I don't know if that means my always-visible outbox is just a remnant from a previous incarnation of Outlook, but I can't seem to delete it. Oh well, small price to pay, considering that now I don't have to watch a doomed "send" for the rest of my life anymore...

So, thanks, guys and gals, keep it coming!
MacRumours1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:33 PM   #24
chemical agent
macrumors newbie

Still not working

Sadly, these good approaches work to find the outbox but do not solve the problem for me. The stuck message does not appear in the outbox. It's a too-large email. From reading comments about this problem with PC Outlook, it sounds like it may actually be a gmail problem or some kind of communication problem between gmail and outlook. Any ideas?
chemical agent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:57 AM   #25
emeness
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemical agent View Post
Sadly, these good approaches work to find the outbox but do not solve the problem for me. The stuck message does not appear in the outbox. It's a too-large email. From reading comments about this problem with PC Outlook, it sounds like it may actually be a gmail problem or some kind of communication problem between gmail and outlook. Any ideas?
I was able to delete the original large email from the outbox but my Outlook was sporadically throwing the pinwheel. In an attempt to stop this, I searched for the original email (found it it in deleted but it was misdated - weird), opened it, removed the attachment, and sent a blank email to just myself. This seems to have corrected the issue.
emeness is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store