Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:43 AM   #251
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

"+1 LOVE my new quad core mini with fusion drive. HD4000 has performed significantly better than I was hoping. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM on Amazon for $70."

Something tells me that the iMac fiasco is going to turn the Mac Mini from an "also ran" into this year's hit seller amongst the Mac product line.
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:44 AM   #252
mono1980
macrumors 6502

Get your **** together, Apple!
mono1980 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:44 AM   #253
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
If they ship it too soon they might forget important parts ...like a CD/DVD writer/reader

I mean seriously, who wants an all in one desktop that doesn't have the "All" part ? ? ?

Its thinner, yes, but who gives a crap ? You're not slipping it in your pocket , what't the point ?

ALL IN ONE ?

It's a good thing you posted, I hadn't read anything irrationally negative on here yet today.
Drunken Master is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:46 AM   #254
hppy29
macrumors 6502

I am gonna have a little faith and say that base iMacs will be here in Nov/Dec with CTO taking a few extra weeks. And if not like many I will be disappointed and will question like many why announce the new style and remove the old so early.

But I have to agree with a lot of things said even if they are not always explained or put in the best of ways. The guys at Apple need to get back to basics and stop pumping new/updated products out every 6 months. Quality control has gone out of the window in the last 18 months and they need to refocus. At this rate Apple will loose a lot of trust from its customers, share prices will continue to drop and most importantly it detracts from some great products.
hppy29 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:46 AM   #255
iAco
Banned

God damn apple. How can they **** this up? With so much money in the bank they should just build more factories and assembly lines. I want my god damn new cinema display. Tired of waiting.
iAco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:46 AM   #256
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve119 View Post
Yes you can, please remember that this is a worldwide forum. I was in 3 Apple stores in britain, as I stated in an earlier post, they are on display in both Glasgow stores and Dundee but Can't remember if they were discounted as well.

Currys and tescos also have them in stock, discounted in Currys but not tescos.
Don't be so touchy. I didn't mention any countries. As said, if stores have them in stock I can't imagine too many people buying them at this point at less than a steep discount. Apple is no longer manufacturing the old iMac, so supply is still limited to "on hand." Thus iMac sales are going to be punished this quarter.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:47 AM   #257
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

I am just happy I got a mid 2011 iMac when I did. I kind of suspected something like this might happen. And I can upgrade my mac however I see fit.
JoeBlow74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #258
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppy29 View Post
The guys at Apple need to get back to basics and stop pumping new/updated products out every 6 months. Quality control has gone out of the window in the last 18 months and they need to refocus. At this rate Apple will loose a lot of trust from its customers, share prices will continue to drop and most importantly it detracts from some great products.
This I agree with wholeheartedly.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #259
Rogifan
macrumors G3

How can we call something a fiasco if we don't even know it exists?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:51 AM   #260
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartypants View Post
I don't think I would want to buy one in that first lot to ship. I think I would wait until they got some of the kinks worked out.
Thank goodness they're working out the kinks before mass producing them. Looks like they've learned a few lessons from Siri and Maps.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:52 AM   #261
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
God damn apple. How can they **** this up? With so much money in the bank they should just build more factories and assembly lines. I want my god damn new cinema display. Tired of waiting.
It does look like they are spending a lot on extra manufacturing capacity overall. They just outspent Intel of all people last quarter for CapEx

Unfortunately we're not sure how much of that is toward the new Cinema Display.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:52 AM   #262
bigmc6000
macrumors 6502a

Well...

I guess when they reveal their holiday quarter results they are gonig to have record sales of the Mac Mini... I mean, the current mini beats the old iMac in pretty much every single comparable and is cheaper. I was planning on waiting until the iMacs came out and then wait until they showed up on the refurb list on apple.com (for a purchase date somewhere around Jan/Feb) but with this there's no reason for me to wait on that. As soon as the current gen mini's show up I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

I would entertain a refurbed old iMac but the new mini has USB 3 and since external drives with USB 3 are 4x cheaper than thunderbolt USB 3 is a requirement if I'm going to finally upgrade from my 2007 MPB.
bigmc6000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:54 AM   #263
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

I have only purchased one Mac in my life. I am a custom built PC guy and I have to say that my IMac will be the last Apple computer I will purchase. I do not like how Apple has changed their product line. For the price of my iMac I can build a nice mini HTPC the will blow away the Mac Mini in every benchmark. I could have an optical drive and be custome modified. Apple needs to recognize they are starting to push away their customers. But who am I to say? I am just the customer.
JoeBlow74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:55 AM   #264
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
This I agree with wholeheartedly.
Yeah but then some analyst comes out and says Android increased its market share and you get people saying Apple needs more than one model of iPhone or they need to release new iPhones every six months to compete. Apple can't win these days. If there was no iPad mini, if the iMac was just a spec bump and looked just like the 2009 iMac people would complain about it and we'd get posts asking what Jony Ive does with all his time (like we got with the iPhone 5 leaks), and how Apple' going download the tubes and isn't innovating any more blah blah blah.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:57 AM   #265
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
OK, I'll bite. What "line" was crossed in the new design? The biggest change was the optical drive was pulled. But optical drives are so 20th century. They are just another place for dust and debris to enter the machine. If one really needs one and ext is, what $29, and you can bring it out if you need to install s/w. I think most people put their iMovies and such on YouTube now that it supports 1080p HD. I know I do.

The only major drawback to the 21.5" iMac is that there is no way for users to upgrade RAM after purchase. But the iMac has been upgrade unfriendly for sometime now. This just tightens the screw one step further. Most iMac users don't upgrade after purchase anyway though. Upgrade aficionados are going to need to wait to see what Apple announces to replace the Mac Pro next year.
And you can always argue the other way around. What cannot be achieved by keeping the old design?

Apple can still use Fusion Drive within the old chassis, maybe even can sell 2 of them in one package since it can fit in replacing the SuperDrive bay. Obviously they can still fit in the new GPU, new laminated/fused screen. No need for unnecessary problems/drawbacks and started selling it in May/June 2012 instead of this uncertainty. Save themselves the negative rumors.

Plus ... assuming you're just average joe who knows nothing about computer, which looks more solid and made of quality parts .. internally, just by looking at it?

OR

So many hollow unused and wasted space on the new iMac. Wow .. not so Apple looking.

Last edited by iSayuSay; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
iSayuSay is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:57 AM   #266
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Epic Fail if true.
Every successful company has failed its way to success. If you don't operate on the bleeding edge of technology and constantly pushing the envelope, you're just a second-rate also-ran.
JHankwitz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:58 AM   #267
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post
I am just happy I got a mid 2011 iMac when I did. I kind of suspected something like this might happen. And I can upgrade my mac however I see fit.
And by that, you mean not the processor, not the GPU, and major surgery where you have to manually short out the HDD temp sensor if you want to use an aftermarket drive, as well as disassemble the entire computer, including removing the motherboard? Providing that it's not somehow glued shut, the 2012 looks considerably simpler inside and easier to work on. Granted, not the processor and not the GPU, but they're still quite better than what the 2011 had to offer.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:01 AM   #268
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
And by that, you mean not the processor, not the GPU, and major surgery where you have to manually short out the HDD temp sensor if you want to use an aftermarket drive, as well as disassemble the entire computer, including removing the motherboard? Providing that it's not somehow glued shut, the 2012 looks considerably simpler inside and easier to work on. Granted, not the processor and not the GPU, but they're still quite better than what the 2011 had to offer.
It is still upgradable. It might take a little bit of magic.
JoeBlow74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:02 AM   #269
mslide
macrumors 6502a

Maybe they should worry more about making desktop computers that are actual desktop computers and not some odd crazy thin non-portable laptop things. Perhaps these types of problems wouldn't happen then.
mslide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:03 AM   #270
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
Exactly! The new design is deceiving from the picture angles that Apple is marketing. It fools buyers into thinking its thinner, but in reality its the same depth at its center, only thinner at the edge. Absolutely no benefit at all. Instead its a trade off. A foolish design at the loss of an optical drive.
Incorrect. The actual screen/computer is about 40% thinner, based on some research. The overall footprint is also smaller, though not as significantly unless you opt for a VESA mount.

I have no interest in debating the need for optical drives, the indisputable facts are Apple has the data to prove the lack of an optical drive will not impact sales.
dashiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 AM   #271
richard371
macrumors 65816

Good now I don't have to spend the money until next year.
richard371 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 AM   #272
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
It does look like they are spending a lot on extra manufacturing capacity overall. They just outspent Intel of all people last quarter for CapEx
Does spending on the new Spaceship campus and retail store fronts count as CapEx?

If so that would probably be the major difference. Intel doesn't have those.

Manufacturing is a service for Apple. They outsource it, so I think that would be kind of weird to be classified as having been spent on a capital asset. Accounting does tend of have goofy hand waving assignments though. Especially when it lowers taxes.

P.S. Apple also has about 3 data centers under some state of construction (or preliminary acquisition ... land , permits , greasing the political wheels , etc. ) so that too is likely a contributor but does nothing for the physical products sold. Again, that is to support the services that Apple provides to users of already sold devices; so a service oriented issue.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 AM   #273
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

For **** sake Apple. I was going to buy the 27" ones. My work is on hold because of the release and now you push it back.

WTF? How think do you want this thing? What the ****. I am angry.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:06 AM   #274
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Every successful company has failed its way to success. If you don't operate on the bleeding edge of technology and constantly pushing the envelope, you're just a second-rate also-ran.
They are hardly on the bleeding edge of technology with the iMac. Bleeding edge of trying to cram run of the mill components into a smaller chassis to please guys wearing black square framed glasses and french berets, yes.
robjulo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:06 AM   #275
HornetMontana
macrumors newbie

Everything is going according to plan.
Everything in Apple's immediate now is complete.
HornetMontana is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion