Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhumbaclave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
I will make this quick, and I have no idea how this worked.

Bought two Verizon iPhones 2 weeks after launch subsidized and choose the 2gb plan. After 3 days and using almost 1 gb of Data I got nervous and called customer support, this is what I said. "Listen, this is not going to work. Sprint and AT&T offer unlimited plans and I don't think I will be able to keep doing this on Verizon" I was very polite and not augmentative at all. The CS rep said "hold a minute, it looks like I can add the unlimited back on" I said "reeeeally, well do that." She did. I did not ask about the other phone since it is my wife's and she will not use more the 500 megs a month.

I have been on the unlimited plan since. I thought at first it was just a 1 month thing but it is still there and I used 10gb in the first month and it look like it will be the same this month.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm not saying it isn't possible..... but I really find it hard to believe a CSR could just turn on a plan that is no longer offered to customers.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas

Bought two Verizon iPhones 2 weeks after launch subsidized and choose the 2gb plan. After 3 days and using almost 1 gb of Data I got nervous and called customer support, this is what I said. "Listen, this is not going to work. Sprint and AT&T offer unlimited plans and I don't think I will be able to keep doing this on Verizon" I was very polite and not augmentative at all. The CS rep said "hold a minute, it looks like I can add the unlimited back on" I said "reeeeally, well do that." She did. I did not ask about the other phone since it is my wife's and she will not use more the 500 megs a month.

I have been on the unlimited plan since. I thought at first it was just a 1 month thing but it is still there and I used 10gb in the first month and it look like it will be the same this month.

You didn't by chance get the CSR's name did you?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I'm not saying it isn't possible..... but I really find it hard to believe a CSR could just turn on a plan that is no longer offered to customers.

I'm calling bs

when i upgraded to the ipad 3 i lost my unlimited data.. by mistake. They were able to easily get it back for me. i know this is different than me choosing to change my plan and upgrade a subsidized phone.
but the carriers do have the record of past plans, and the ability to change it back to previous plans... as to how long they retain it.. and have the ability to change who knows.

Last edited:

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
when i upgraded to the ipad 3 i lost my unlimited data.. by mistake. They were able to easily get it back for me. i know this is different than me choosing to change my plan and upgrade a subsidized phone.
but the carriers do have the record of past plans, and the ability to change it back to previous plans... as to how long they retain it.. and have the ability to change who knows.

----------

he said verizon... and they didnt offer it as a new plan.. they just reverted him back to his original plan.

Read OP, "Listen, this is not going to work. Sprint and AT&T offer unlimited plans and I don't think I will be able to keep doing this on Verizon"

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
he said verizon... and they didnt offer it as a new plan.. they just reverted him back to his original plan.

See, but I'm not seeing anything that said he had an unlimited plan prior to upgrading to the iPhone 5. Further, when you re-up now your 2 year plan they are requiring you to go to one of their new plans....

Yes in your case when you moved to your iPad 3 you lost your unlimited data, but were you actually re-upping your plan? My guess is you didn't sign a new contact and that is why it was able to be put back on. This is the same as buying an iPhone 5 outright, you can still retain your unlimited data as long as Verizon didn't foot the bill for your phone (or in your case your iPad).

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
See, but I'm not seeing anything that said he had an unlimited plan prior to upgrading to the iPhone 5. Further, when you re-up now your 2 year plan they are requiring you to go to one of their new plans....

Yes in your case when you moved to your iPad 3 you lost your unlimited data, but were you actually re-upping your plan? My guess is you didn't sign a new contact and that is why it was able to be put back on.

he wasnt too clear but he did.. or well it appears he did

so using the context clues.. it was on prior...op just wasnt clear

rhumbaclave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
he wasnt too clear but he did.. or well it appears he did

so using the context clues.. it was on prior...op just wasnt clear

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes I had unlimited for my iPhone 4 that I choose to get rid of to get the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price. At the store I choose the 2gb plan since bit kept my price the same. I was shocked when she offered that and the CSR rep didn't identify herself as a manager or a retention type person.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes I had unlimited for my iPhone 4 that I choose to get rid of to get the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price. At the store I choose the 2gb plan since bit kept my price the same. I was shocked when she offered that and the CSR rep didn't identify herself as a manager or a retention type person.

You really don't gain anything from lying but considering how much Verizon wants to get rid of unlimited plans I really have a hard time believing you. The fact that you upgraded and chose a new plan is exactly what they want people to do in order to eliminate those grandfathered unlimited people. Anyway, if what you are saying is true you are very lucky and should count your blessings because that should not have happened and I wouldn't be surprised if someone down the line catches it and you lose it again.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You really don't gain anything from lying but considering how much Verizon wants to get rid of unlimited plans I really have a hard time believing you. The fact that you upgraded and chose a new plan is exactly what they want people to do in order to eliminate those grandfathered unlimited people. Anyway, if what you are saying is true you are very lucky and should count your blessings because that should not have happened and I wouldn't be surprised if someone down the line catches it and you lose it again.

my thoughts exactly.. i could see them saying they will if you return the phone/pay the remainder of the cost of subsidies. Dont think hes really lying like you said nothing to gain. Good luck OP.. you may have dodged a $450 bullet. Wish i could have gotten this deal on my ip5.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

where do you get your information? Unlimited data is very valid and is very much still offered. It's not offered to the "general public" but I just got an email the other day from our verizon rep and an option was unlimited data.

Just because YOU don't see something or it's not offered to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
where do you get your information? Unlimited data is very valid and is very much still offered. It's not offered to the "general public" but I just got an email the other day from our verizon rep and an option was unlimited data.

Just because YOU don't see something or it's not offered to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Yeah I am calling BS on this. like some people say picture or it didn't happen.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Yeah I am calling BS on this. like some people say picture or it didn't happen.

I don't give a ***** what you're "calling". I work for a large corporation that holds a corporate account with Verizon and we get special deals. Period.

I don't care if you don't belive me... I don't need to show you a damn picture.

Once again... ignorance. "If I don't see it, it must not exist"

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/16/verizon-unlimited-data-plans_n_1521967.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technol...coming-likely-to-kill-unlimited-data-for-all/

And oh yeah, here's news from Verizon directly:
http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/05/data-pricing.html

So again, unless you pay for your phone outright, you will lose unlimited data. Verizon basically figures that $20 of your phone bill goes to paying them back for the phone, so if you chose not to use the subsidy , it is basically like paying an extra $20 a month on top of your phone bill to kep unlimited.

I'm going to believe the news sources and verizon directly that unlimited is no longer being offered to new customers and only those that pay for their phone outright and were grandfathered will get to keep the unlimited plan.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I don't give a ***** what you're "calling". I work for a large corporation that holds a corporate account with Verizon and we get special deals. Period.

Big freaking difference between John Doe getting a phone contract with his family and a freaking large corporation. If you had said that crap from the beginning I would not have said anything. Calm down buddy. And yeah I was ignorant. Ignorant of the fact that you were talking about a corporate account. Side note if you are going to make claims about something that has been all but eliminated you do have to show some kind of proof. I can say I walked into Verizon yesterday and got unlimited data with an iPhone 5. Doesn't make it true.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I work for a 40,000+ corp with special rates/discounts from Verizon and we are not being given options to keep our unlimited data....

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
n/a

----------

I work for a 40,000+ corp with special rates/discounts from Verizon and we are not being given options to keep our unlimited data....

Is your company in the mobile phone business?

----------

Big freaking difference between John Doe getting a phone contract with his family and a freaking large corporation. If you had said that crap from the beginning I would not have said anything. Calm down buddy. And yeah I was ignorant. Ignorant of the fact that you were talking about a corporate account. Side note if you are going to make claims about something that has been all but eliminated you do have to show some kind of proof. I can say I walked into Verizon yesterday and got unlimited data with an iPhone 5. Doesn't make it true.

My account is a personal account. I am still offered deals. My employer does not pay for my phone bill.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Well you woulnd't get that deal if it wasn't for you corporation. The fact remains that people can't just walk into a store and get unlimited data.

That is correct.

I didn't claim that I was some special person that was afforded special deals.... my point was in reference to people saying "Unlimited data on Verizon does not exist anymore". That is not true. There are ways. Some may be special deals through corporations but I think that the OP could very well be telling the truth.

----------

...for what it's worth, I did not take the deal. There were other stipulations*

I'm on a run-of-the-mill consumer plan with, what I consider to be, a decent corporate discount.

Last edited:

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I dont know, I think I will need to see a wood carving of the event or it didn't happen, at the very least I will need to see a tapestry of the event. Show me one of those or its BS. :p

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
[/COLOR]...for what it's worth, I did not take the deal. There were other stipulations*

I'm on a run-of-the-mill consumer plan with, what I consider to be, a decent corporate discount.

You mean like having to pay for your phone out right? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.