Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velvetlounger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I recently replaced the HDD with an SDD cloned from the original HDD. The Mini is running ML. I used Super Duper to do the clone.

I would like to know if Super Duper clones the hidden recovery partition in ML. I see people have used CCC to do the clone, but I would rather not pay for that.

Thanks!

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
I've had CCC for a few years and when I went to use it last week, I updated it to the current vresion which asks you to pay :( but, I still have the old version that works for free on a different computer. Anyway, CCC allows you to make 3 copies for free within 30 days.

You can see the recovery partition by starting up your computer while holding the option key. It is there with CCC, and I don't see any reasy why it wouldn't be there with Super Duper (but can't say for sure).

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
If you need more help with SuperDuper! try its forum; your question may have already been answered. If not, posts usually get a speedy response; the SD! developer closely monitors the forum.

Unless something has changed SD! can be used in demo mode to clone a drive. Licensing SD! adds scheduled automated backups and, more importantly, the ability to do "smart backups" that only update files that have changed since the last backup. That makes updating a clone much faster so you are more likely to a current backup.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I recently replaced the HDD with an SDD cloned from the original HDD. The Mini is running ML. I used Super Duper to do the clone.

I would like to know if Super Duper clones the hidden recovery partition in ML. I see people have used CCC to do the clone, but I would rather not pay for that.

Thanks!

I doubt it does. I use SuperDuper frequently and from the dropdowns in the main window it "only" allows you to select partitions, not disks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I would like to know if Super Duper clones the hidden recovery partition in ML"

Can't speak for SD, but I believe CCC version 3.4.7 (the last "free" version) will clone the recovery partition if you set it up to do so.

However....

I would like to make the argument that if you maintain a "cloned and bootable" backup, that the whole concept of a "recovery partition" becomes superfluous.

That is to say, once you create a clone, it can do MORE for you than Apple's recovery partition could ever do.

The whole purpose of the recovery partition is to provide -some- way for users to boot, who have no other means of booting the computer in a "moment of extreme need". How much does the recovery partition actually let you DO once you're booted, in any case?

Once a user has progressed to the point where he/she has created a bootable backup clone, that user has ascended to a level of sophistication that precludes the need for the recovery partition.

On my MacBookPro, I have two partitions, one large, one small. The larger is my "regular" partition, with the system and my regular assemblage of apps, etc. The smaller has it's own OS (actually my test copy of Mountain Lion). There is no recovery partition on the MBP drive at all. If I can't boot from one OS, I just "switch boot over" to the other one. Why would I want a "recovery partition", anyway?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
"I would like to know if Super Duper clones the hidden recovery partition in ML"

Can't speak for SD, but I believe CCC version 3.4.7 (the last "free" version) will clone the recovery partition if you set it up to do so.

On my MacBookPro, I have two partitions, one large, one small. The larger is my "regular" partition, with the system and my regular assemblage of apps, etc. The smaller has it's own OS (actually my test copy of Mountain Lion). There is no recovery partition on the MBP drive at all. If I can't boot from one OS, I just "switch boot over" to the other one. Why would I want a "recovery partition", anyway?
You are exactly right, clone the drive and do not worry about recovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.