Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Small speck under iPhone 5's screen

I have a brand new iPhone 5 which has a small speck under the screen ... in the middle, on the far right.

It's definitely not a dead/stuck pixel.

Apart from this one flaw, the phone appears to be perfect.

TNT is scheduled to collect the phone on Monday, and a replacement (completely fresh unit, not a refurb) will be sent to me.

However, I am extremely unlucky with Apple products (the screens mainly, but I know I'm not the only one ... ) and I am already concerned about the fact that a replacement could arrive with much worse issues.

Therefore, I am contemplating "living with" this small speck and just getting on with it.

What would you do?

I know that it is ultimately down to me with regards to keeping this unit or not, but I would appreciate some other views on the matter.

Do you have a similar "issue" with your iPhone 5? If so, are you keeping it or exchanging it?

Thanks in advance for any (non tricky) comments ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
If it bothers you that much just return it. But you are risking getting another device with some other flaws.
__________________
Unlocked Space Gray iPhone 5S 32gb AT&T, 13.3" MacBook Air 1.86GHZ 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
pepsijunky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
I had the same thing, I actually had 2 small specks on the underside of the screen. I took it to Apple and they replaced it. All good now.
__________________
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel i7, 4 GB RAM
iPhone 5
pepsijunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
saud0488
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
It's a speck. Get over it.
saud0488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
If it bothers you that much just return it. But you are risking getting another device with some other flaws.
I know ... and this is the risk of returning.

What would you do?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by saud0488 View Post
It's a speck. Get over it.
It's a visible speck on a small display on a 699 phone ...

And the phone was bought outright ... no discounts for contracts or anything like that.

I have been contemplating "just living with it" but my eyes are razor sharp so it might bug me for the entire time that I own the phone.
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6
pepsijunky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Last quarter Apple made 8.2 billion in Net profit. If the phone isn't right, go get a new one. That's part of the deal. You paid a lot for the phone and a ton monthly for the service.
__________________
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel i7, 4 GB RAM
iPhone 5
pepsijunky is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsijunky View Post
I had the same thing, I actually had 2 small specks on the underside of the screen. I took it to Apple and they replaced it. All good now.
Nice one, Pepsi ...

Glad you got a good one.

I think I might just let them take this back and hope the replacement will be perfect.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsijunky View Post
Last quarter Apple made 8.2 billion in Net profit.
... and they don't even give their staff free lunches
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
I would return it and never look back.
__________________
Unlocked Space Gray iPhone 5S 32gb AT&T, 13.3" MacBook Air 1.86GHZ 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
I would return it and never look back.
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:06 PM   #10
bjcskier
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I had one of these too - it wasn't a dead pixel but rather a tiny piece of dust that appeared as one. It was really agitating when writing an email or something with a white screen background.

I returned it - but obviously ran into other things (i.e. more case imperfections, etc.).

It's really frustrating that when you have one problem you have to be scared to return it because the new one you get might have something worse.
bjcskier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:32 PM   #11
malias4
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greece and Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
I have a brand new iPhone 5 which has a small speck under the screen ... in the middle, on the far right.

It's definitely not a dead/stuck pixel.

Apart from this one flaw, the phone appears to be perfect.

TNT is scheduled to collect the phone on Monday, and a replacement (completely fresh unit, not a refurb) will be sent to me.

However, I am extremely unlucky with Apple products (the screens mainly, but I know I'm not the only one ... ) and I am already concerned about the fact that a replacement could arrive with much worse issues.

Therefore, I am contemplating "living with" this small speck and just getting on with it.

What would you do?

I know that it is ultimately down to me with regards to keeping this unit or not, but I would appreciate some other views on the matter.

Do you have a similar "issue" with your iPhone 5? If so, are you keeping it or exchanging it?

Thanks in advance for any (non tricky) comments ...
Hi there friend, i think i might have the same issue with you on my black iphone 5.
I only have it a few days and the first day i didnt even notice it but now i saw it i feel bad.
Would you mind posting a pic so i see if its like the little spot i have also?
Mine is right side of the screen little under the midle.
For the rest the phone is flawless.

I dont know what to do about it since there s no apple store here and i bought the phone from abroad.

Isnt a way we can clean it?
Thanks
__________________
imac 21.5 i5 mid 2011
ipad 3 16gb wifi jb
iphone 5 16gb
malias4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:53 PM   #12
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Something under the screen is absolutely unacceptable. Exchange it at the nearest Apple Store.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mac OS 10.9.2), Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2), Rig (Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GTX 780 SC+)
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #13
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcskier View Post
I had one of these too - it wasn't a dead pixel but rather a tiny piece of dust that appeared as one. It was really agitating when writing an email or something with a white screen background.

I returned it - but obviously ran into other things (i.e. more case imperfections, etc.).

It's really frustrating that when you have one problem you have to be scared to return it because the new one you get might have something worse.
Same problem. Dead pixel but the phone was in pretty good shape. Exchanged it a couple times, each for a brand new retail box and the phones were in horrible shape.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Same problem. Dead pixel but the phone was in pretty good shape. Exchanged it a couple times, each for a brand new retail box and the phones were in horrible shape.
It's disgusting ... I never, ever had an issue with a Nokia phone.

And probably the worst thing (for me) is the embarrassment of having to keep returning these things.

It's obvious that some staff will think that I'm a "returner" but if the iPhone/iPad was in perfect condition when I bought it then it wouldn't be returned once ...

I have another thread in the iPad forum regarding my new iPad 4th gen with dust under the screen!

Did you get a perfect one in the end?

I hope so, buddy ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by malias4 View Post
Hi there friend, i think i might have the same issue with you on my black iphone 5.
I only have it a few days and the first day i didnt even notice it but now i saw it i feel bad.
Would you mind posting a pic so i see if its like the little spot i have also?
Mine is right side of the screen little under the midle.
For the rest the phone is flawless.

I dont know what to do about it since there s no apple store here and i bought the phone from abroad.

Isnt a way we can clean it?
Thanks
Sorry buddy, I have no way of photographing it.

It's basically a small speck ... when the keyboard is visible, it is just above the "Done" key.

I'm completely torn between having it replaced or just living with it.

If it was a dead pixel, I wouldn't hesitate to return it as I WILL NOT accept dead pixels.

Hmm ... what to do, what to do??

By the way, I believe there is no way of cleaning it as the glass is apparently fused to the LCD. But even if it wasn't, I wouldn't risk trying to "get in there" as once you open up a device like this it would be impossible to prevent further dust from getting in.

Are you going to live with it as it is?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcskier View Post

It's really frustrating that when you have one problem you have to be scared to return it because the new one you get might have something worse.
... you hit the nail on the head.

It's also really embarrassing, too!
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a
 
Minhimalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
I had over 10 small little specks of dust and got my phone replaced today.. now the replacement has a recessed power button. You can never win with these damn phones. :/ The Genius said that dust is considered a cosmetic defect but I think that's definitely a manufacturing defect.. argue it. It's covered under warranty.
__________________
White iPhone 5; 2013 13" MacBook Air
Twitter Instagram Flickr deviantART
Minhimalism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhimalism View Post
I had over 10 small little specks of dust and got my phone replaced today.. now the replacement has a recessed power button. You can never win with these damn phones. :/ The Genius said that dust is considered a cosmetic defect but I think that's definitely a manufacturing defect.. argue it. It's covered under warranty.
Are you going to return the replacement, as it has a recessed power button?

You are right ... you can never win with these phones. And this is exactly why I'm strongly considering living with this small speck as the replacement could be even worse, then the "return game" commences ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:54 PM   #17
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
Did you get a perfect one in the end?

I hope so, buddy ...

After 3 tries, I gave up and returned it for a refund. I didn't want to be one of those customers who swap it out 13 times. I could live with a minor scuff here and there but I kept ending up with phones that had scratches and dents all along the sides like they've been used for drop tests. The iPhone 5 just isn't for me so I'm trying another phone this year.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
What I will say is that the battery on this thing is superb ... MUCH better than my previous iPhone (4S).

Check out the attached screenshot.

And this is just one of the reasons why I'm contemplating just sticking with this unit.

No dead pixels, excellent battery life, no bleeding, no software glitches at all ... just this one small speck!

I returned countless 4S's due to dead pixels, and I don't want to end up in the same boat with this iPhone 5 ...

Like I say, it's just one small speck?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	377541  
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
After 3 tries, I gave up and returned it for a refund. I didn't want to be one of those customers who swap it out 13 times. I could live with a minor scuff here and there but I kept ending up with phones that had scratches and dents all along the sides like they've been used for drop tests. The iPhone 5 just isn't for me so I'm trying another phone this year.
Sorry to hear about that, mate.

Did you return all units to the same branch?

Would you not have another try ... maybe give it a week or so?

I tell you what, though ... you really have made me think that I should just keep this unit.

If your unit had just the one small speck behind the glass, would you just live with it?

I would actually bet that MOST iOS devices sold have these issues, but it's just that most people are not like you and I and simply do not look/check for them ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a
 
Minhimalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
Are you going to return the replacement, as it has a recessed power button?

You are right ... you can never win with these phones. And this is exactly why I'm strongly considering living with this small speck as the replacement could be even worse, then the "return game" commences ...
Eh to make matters worse this one has a small speck or two too. Whatever. I'll deal with it for a while and if I start to really tire of it, I'll try a different Apple store so they can't give me the same crap haha.
__________________
White iPhone 5; 2013 13" MacBook Air
Twitter Instagram Flickr deviantART
Minhimalism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:22 PM   #21
D3lta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cupertino, California
I had my phone replaced a few days ago for that reason, along with my speaker sounding blown. I paid $470 for the phone, I don't find it acceptable to pay that much for a device and settle for having specks, small or large, under my screen.
__________________
black & grey 64GB iPhone 5S on AT&T
4th gen iPad 16GB Wi-Fi
3rd gen iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE on Verizon
1st gen iPad 32GB Wi-Fi
D3lta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3lta View Post
I had my phone replaced a few days ago for that reason, along with my speaker sounding blown. I paid $470 for the phone, I don't find it acceptable to pay that much for a device and settle for having specks, small or large, under my screen.
How is the replacement?

Have you thoroughly checked it?

Any dust, or dead pixels?

I hope you got a "good one" ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:45 PM   #23
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I bet all the folks who say "deal with it" dont have issues with their screen..maybe a scratch or two on the bezel or aluminum, but not on their screen. Easy for them to say...this part of the forum in almost useless now imo. If your not happy def exchange it! Goodluck..I had horrible luck but my wife got me one on her own and with her luck I got a flawless one.
__________________
MBP 13' 2.4 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB SDRAM 500GB HDD
Black iPhone 5s 32gb AT&T
Black iPad Air 32gb Wifi/Lte AT&T
ahfu25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:03 PM   #24
Cockney Rebel
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfu25 View Post
I bet all the folks who say "deal with it" dont have issues with their screen..maybe a scratch or two on the bezel or aluminum, but not on their screen. Easy for them to say...
... so true!

I'm pleased you managed to get a good one in the end.

It must be "beginners luck" re your wife
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #25
D3lta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cupertino, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
How is the replacement?

Have you thoroughly checked it?

Any dust, or dead pixels?

I hope you got a "good one" ...
It seems fine. The other one had quite a few scuffs on the anodized metal so I bought a case at the Apple store so it doesn't happen again.
__________________
black & grey 64GB iPhone 5S on AT&T
4th gen iPad 16GB Wi-Fi
3rd gen iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE on Verizon
1st gen iPad 32GB Wi-Fi
D3lta is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC