Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I have a brand new iPhone 5 which has a small speck under the screen ... in the middle, on the far right.

It's definitely not a dead/stuck pixel.

Apart from this one flaw, the phone appears to be perfect.

TNT is scheduled to collect the phone on Monday, and a replacement (completely fresh unit, not a refurb) will be sent to me.

However, I am extremely unlucky with Apple products (the screens mainly, but I know I'm not the only one ... ) and I am already concerned about the fact that a replacement could arrive with much worse issues.

Therefore, I am contemplating "living with" this small speck and just getting on with it.

What would you do?

I know that it is ultimately down to me with regards to keeping this unit or not, but I would appreciate some other views on the matter.

Do you have a similar "issue" with your iPhone 5? If so, are you keeping it or exchanging it?

Thanks in advance for any (non tricky) comments ...

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If it bothers you that much just return it. But you are risking getting another device with some other flaws.

pepsijunky

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Salem, OR
I had the same thing, I actually had 2 small specks on the underside of the screen. I took it to Apple and they replaced it. All good now.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
If it bothers you that much just return it. But you are risking getting another device with some other flaws.

I know ... and this is the risk of returning.

What would you do?

----------

It's a speck. Get over it.

It's a visible speck on a small display on a £699 phone ...

And the phone was bought outright ... no discounts for contracts or anything like that.

I have been contemplating "just living with it" but my eyes are razor sharp so it might bug me for the entire time that I own the phone.

pepsijunky

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Salem, OR
Last quarter Apple made 8.2 billion in Net profit. If the phone isn't right, go get a new one. That's part of the deal. You paid a lot for the phone and a ton monthly for the service.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I had the same thing, I actually had 2 small specks on the underside of the screen. I took it to Apple and they replaced it. All good now.

Nice one, Pepsi ...

Glad you got a good one.

I think I might just let them take this back and hope the replacement will be perfect.

----------

Last quarter Apple made 8.2 billion in Net profit.

... and they don't even give their staff free lunches :D

bjcskier

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
I had one of these too - it wasn't a dead pixel but rather a tiny piece of dust that appeared as one. It was really agitating when writing an email or something with a white screen background.

I returned it - but obviously ran into other things (i.e. more case imperfections, etc.).

It's really frustrating that when you have one problem you have to be scared to return it because the new one you get might have something worse.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
I have a brand new iPhone 5 which has a small speck under the screen ... in the middle, on the far right.

It's definitely not a dead/stuck pixel.

Apart from this one flaw, the phone appears to be perfect.

TNT is scheduled to collect the phone on Monday, and a replacement (completely fresh unit, not a refurb) will be sent to me.

However, I am extremely unlucky with Apple products (the screens mainly, but I know I'm not the only one ... ) and I am already concerned about the fact that a replacement could arrive with much worse issues.

Therefore, I am contemplating "living with" this small speck and just getting on with it.

What would you do?

I know that it is ultimately down to me with regards to keeping this unit or not, but I would appreciate some other views on the matter.

Do you have a similar "issue" with your iPhone 5? If so, are you keeping it or exchanging it?

Thanks in advance for any (non tricky) comments ...
Hi there friend, i think i might have the same issue with you on my black iphone 5.
I only have it a few days and the first day i didnt even notice it but now i saw it i feel bad.
Would you mind posting a pic so i see if its like the little spot i have also?
Mine is right side of the screen little under the midle.
For the rest the phone is flawless.

I dont know what to do about it since there s no apple store here and i bought the phone from abroad.

Isnt a way we can clean it?
Thanks

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I had one of these too - it wasn't a dead pixel but rather a tiny piece of dust that appeared as one. It was really agitating when writing an email or something with a white screen background.

I returned it - but obviously ran into other things (i.e. more case imperfections, etc.).

It's really frustrating that when you have one problem you have to be scared to return it because the new one you get might have something worse.

Same problem. Dead pixel but the phone was in pretty good shape. Exchanged it a couple times, each for a brand new retail box and the phones were in horrible shape.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Same problem. Dead pixel but the phone was in pretty good shape. Exchanged it a couple times, each for a brand new retail box and the phones were in horrible shape.

It's disgusting ... I never, ever had an issue with a Nokia phone.

And probably the worst thing (for me) is the embarrassment of having to keep returning these things.

It's obvious that some staff will think that I'm a "returner" but if the iPhone/iPad was in perfect condition when I bought it then it wouldn't be returned once ...

I have another thread in the iPad forum regarding my new iPad 4th gen with dust under the screen!

Did you get a perfect one in the end?

I hope so, buddy ...

----------

Hi there friend, i think i might have the same issue with you on my black iphone 5.
I only have it a few days and the first day i didnt even notice it but now i saw it i feel bad.
Would you mind posting a pic so i see if its like the little spot i have also?
Mine is right side of the screen little under the midle.
For the rest the phone is flawless.

I dont know what to do about it since there s no apple store here and i bought the phone from abroad.

Isnt a way we can clean it?
Thanks

Sorry buddy, I have no way of photographing it.

It's basically a small speck ... when the keyboard is visible, it is just above the "Done" key.

I'm completely torn between having it replaced or just living with it.

If it was a dead pixel, I wouldn't hesitate to return it as I WILL NOT accept dead pixels.

Hmm ... what to do, what to do??

By the way, I believe there is no way of cleaning it as the glass is apparently fused to the LCD. But even if it wasn't, I wouldn't risk trying to "get in there" as once you open up a device like this it would be impossible to prevent further dust from getting in.

Are you going to live with it as it is?

----------

... you hit the nail on the head.

It's also really embarrassing, too!

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I had over 10 small little specks of dust and got my phone replaced today.. now the replacement has a recessed power button. You can never win with these damn phones. :/ The Genius said that dust is considered a cosmetic defect but I think that's definitely a manufacturing defect.. argue it. It's covered under warranty.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I had over 10 small little specks of dust and got my phone replaced today.. now the replacement has a recessed power button. You can never win with these damn phones. :/ The Genius said that dust is considered a cosmetic defect but I think that's definitely a manufacturing defect.. argue it. It's covered under warranty.

Are you going to return the replacement, as it has a recessed power button?

You are right ... you can never win with these phones. And this is exactly why I'm strongly considering living with this small speck as the replacement could be even worse, then the "return game" commences ...

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Did you get a perfect one in the end?

I hope so, buddy ...

After 3 tries, I gave up and returned it for a refund. I didn't want to be one of those customers who swap it out 13 times. I could live with a minor scuff here and there but I kept ending up with phones that had scratches and dents all along the sides like they've been used for drop tests. The iPhone 5 just isn't for me so I'm trying another phone this year.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
What I will say is that the battery on this thing is superb ... MUCH better than my previous iPhone (4S).

Check out the attached screenshot.

And this is just one of the reasons why I'm contemplating just sticking with this unit.

No dead pixels, excellent battery life, no bleeding, no software glitches at all ... just this one small speck!

I returned countless 4S's due to dead pixels, and I don't want to end up in the same boat with this iPhone 5 ...

Like I say, it's just one small speck?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 261

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
After 3 tries, I gave up and returned it for a refund. I didn't want to be one of those customers who swap it out 13 times. I could live with a minor scuff here and there but I kept ending up with phones that had scratches and dents all along the sides like they've been used for drop tests. The iPhone 5 just isn't for me so I'm trying another phone this year.

Sorry to hear about that, mate.

Did you return all units to the same branch?

Would you not have another try ... maybe give it a week or so?

I tell you what, though ... you really have made me think that I should just keep this unit.

If your unit had just the one small speck behind the glass, would you just live with it?

I would actually bet that MOST iOS devices sold have these issues, but it's just that most people are not like you and I and simply do not look/check for them ...

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Are you going to return the replacement, as it has a recessed power button?

You are right ... you can never win with these phones. And this is exactly why I'm strongly considering living with this small speck as the replacement could be even worse, then the "return game" commences ...

Eh to make matters worse this one has a small speck or two too. Whatever. I'll deal with it for a while and if I start to really tire of it, I'll try a different Apple store so they can't give me the same crap haha.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
I had my phone replaced a few days ago for that reason, along with my speaker sounding blown. I paid $470 for the phone, I don't find it acceptable to pay that much for a device and settle for having specks, small or large, under my screen.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I had my phone replaced a few days ago for that reason, along with my speaker sounding blown. I paid $470 for the phone, I don't find it acceptable to pay that much for a device and settle for having specks, small or large, under my screen.

How is the replacement?

Have you thoroughly checked it?

Any dust, or dead pixels?

I hope you got a "good one" ...

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
I bet all the folks who say "deal with it" dont have issues with their screen..maybe a scratch or two on the bezel or aluminum, but not on their screen. Easy for them to say...this part of the forum in almost useless now imo. If your not happy def exchange it! Goodluck..I had horrible luck but my wife got me one on her own and with her luck I got a flawless one.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I bet all the folks who say "deal with it" dont have issues with their screen..maybe a scratch or two on the bezel or aluminum, but not on their screen. Easy for them to say...

... so true!

I'm pleased you managed to get a good one in the end.

It must be "beginners luck" re your wife :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.