Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:32 PM   #26
ellsworth
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Hmm how about offering GPS on the wifi only models apple!

It's all about the $ isn't it ? [points finger at apple]
You should really think about what you just said. GPS.... Wifi only...

Why would Apple think it's a good idea to equip one of their devices with GPS that can only be accessed with a wifi network? I highly doubt many are walking around with mobile hotspots. It doesn't make much sense to have GPS in a non-cellular device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
Apple would rather pay 22M to be licensed to use the fancy clock app design on ipad than add GPS to make it more cost effective. So do they really care about the consumers?
I'm pretty sure Apple was forced to pay that $22 Million license in order to cover their butts from copyright infringements. Some poor graphic designer probably thought it was a grand idea to rip off a Swiss Watch/Clock company because it looked cool. How something like this got past Apple's Lawyers is beyond me.
ellsworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:45 PM   #27
Trooper Sam
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I'm making a wild guess that they won't sell them from the stores before the first pre-orders hit the doorsteps.
Trooper Sam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:55 PM   #28
IGregory
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
I Apple would rather pay 22M to be licensed to use the fancy clock app design on ipad than add GPS to make it more cost effective. So do they really care about the consumers?
So, what point are you making with the clock? The clock deal was a settlement, meaning Apple owed the clock owner for prior use. Considering the clock is on millions of devices, $21 mil was a small price to pay for past and future use. The clock has no impact on the GPS.
__________________
The happy owner of a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, iPad Air, iPhone 6+, Apple Time Capsule, Apple TV, and Canon Photo Equipment .
IGregory is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:33 PM   #29
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsworth View Post
You should really think about what you just said. GPS.... Wifi only...

Why would Apple think it's a good idea to equip one of their devices with GPS that can only be accessed with a wifi network? ...to have GPS in a non-cellular...
I thought that it first. But then i investigated further. According to what I've been told, If you use a navigation app with the maps already pre-downloaded, you will not incur any data usage when traveling outside of Wi-Fi areas but using the GPS. I'm told the GPS chip operates on different bands than the cellular. It just happens to only be included in those models. That's why I ordered the LTE model. If that info is correct, it would make (perfectly good) sense for apple to give us that GPS in the cheaper wi-fi only iPad mini, if GPS is desired.

BTW, my mini cellular is scheduled for delivery on the 20th. Does anyone know when the stores will begin selling them? As of last night my nearest Apple store did not yet have that information.

Last edited by rtdunham; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
rtdunham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:09 PM   #30
luigi408
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I just ordered mine yesterday =( it still hasn't shipped though. It says its gonna ship in 7 days. If the store gets it before it ships, can Apple change the shipping to store pick up?
luigi408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:28 PM   #31
mofoliar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
yeah im in the same boat.... mine says to ship in 7 days, but got an estimated date to be delivered by dec.3rd... I 2 will go get one when apple gets their shipment!
mofoliar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:13 AM   #32
ww1971
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I'm pretty sure that United States and maybe a few other countries will sell them on November 16. The other countries are unlikely to sell them before November 30 including Australia. Can anybody confirm it?
ww1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:21 AM   #33
d0r1en0
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego
Well it's officially Thursday everywhere in the US. With the rumor being sale date tomorrow the 16th I wonder if and when we will hear an official announcement today. Fingers crossed as I want to pick up a 64GB AT&T version for the wife.
d0r1en0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:14 AM   #34
RevTEG
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Jose, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
I really don't care.

----------



Apple would rather pay 22M to be licensed to use the fancy clock app design on ipad than add GPS to make it more cost effective. So do they really care about the consumers?
Apple didn't pay $21 million TO USE the clock design. They paid $21 million BECAUSE THEY DID USE the clock design. That was an out of court fine that Apple settled on.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:06 AM   #35
nbs2
macrumors 68030
 
nbs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: A geographical oddity
I don't know how much of this is the impact of Next Day Shipping, but mine looks like it will arrive this morning (I won't see it until this evening).

It's at the FedEx destination sort facility (arrived overnight). The only remaining steps are transfer to the local sort facility, on vehicle, and delivery (all of which are usually accomplished the same day).

I would expect to start seeing reports from users with devices in hand in the next couple of hours.

EDIT: It is at the local sort facility. Delivery is supposed to be "by 10:30". That's 2.5 hours. I doubt it will make it the our place by then, but I still expect it to arrive today.

EDIT 2: Maybe not. I looked through my previous FedEx Express deliveries, and those have been on a truck by 8. Not today. They have until tomorrow morning to deliver it, and I guess they are going to sit on it until then - no reason to exceed expectations.

EDIT 3: Maybe so. They just took 50 minutes to update the tracking data on their public servers. It went out on the truck for delivery at 7:48.

Since the device should be in the missus's hands in the next couple of hours, I don't see any reason for Apple to wait until tomorrow to release the LTE's to the public. I mean, it isn't like this is some major new launch, just a variant on an already released, and not sold out, product.
__________________
IDKTFG

Last edited by nbs2; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: device location update
nbs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:41 AM   #36
EngramAgility
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
My 64gb iPad 4 Verizon LTE is on the truck for delivery this morning!!!! My shipping estimate from apple said tomorrow and FedEx is still quoting Monday... odd. It should be at my house by 11:30, but I have to wait until I get home tonight at 7 :'(
__________________
Engram: A hypothetical permanent change in the brain accounting for the existence of memory; a memory trace.
EngramAgility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:06 PM   #37
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMan2011 View Post
I live in Clermont Florida, a small town right outside or Orlando. But I was in Orlando all day and NO LTE. Even after turning off cellular and turning it back on it still went to 4G
My wife and I had to reboot our phones to get the LTE to work.
I have an iP5 and she has a Sony ION.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:00 PM   #38
ellsworth
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post
I thought that it first. But then i investigated further. According to what I've been told, If you use a navigation app with the maps already pre-downloaded, you will not incur any data usage when traveling outside of Wi-Fi areas but using the GPS. I'm told the GPS chip operates on different bands than the cellular. It just happens to only be included in those models. That's why I ordered the LTE model. If that info is correct, it would make (perfectly good) sense for apple to give us that GPS in the cheaper wi-fi only iPad mini, if GPS is desired.

BTW, my mini cellular is scheduled for delivery on the 20th. Does anyone know when the stores will begin selling them? As of last night my nearest Apple store did not yet have that information.
That's the reason why it's not practical. You would have to run over to Starbucks every time you want to search for new directions.
The GPS chip that are inside iDevices work differently than what people think. In order for the GPS to work for Maps, directions, Searches and so forth, it needs a complimentary application to draw out and calculate the coordinates. Apps use online data in order to accomplish this. If you've ever searched for direction on Google Maps, the second you start to scroll, pinch, zoom out, the map starts to redraw and recalculate itself accordingly. None of this would be possible without Cellular or Wifi service. The thing would be for an app creator to make an app that stores information and allows you to access it outside of wifi/cellular service. And the only way a programmer would do that is if Apple added GPS to non-Cellular devices.
ellsworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:54 PM   #39
JFJetta
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Got mine about 30 min ago at the Apple Store in Kansas City. White Verizon 32GB.
JFJetta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:01 AM   #40
terraphantm
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsworth View Post
That's the reason why it's not practical. You would have to run over to Starbucks every time you want to search for new directions.
The GPS chip that are inside iDevices work differently than what people think. In order for the GPS to work for Maps, directions, Searches and so forth, it needs a complimentary application to draw out and calculate the coordinates. Apps use online data in order to accomplish this. If you've ever searched for direction on Google Maps, the second you start to scroll, pinch, zoom out, the map starts to redraw and recalculate itself accordingly. None of this would be possible without Cellular or Wifi service. The thing would be for an app creator to make an app that stores information and allows you to access it outside of wifi/cellular service. And the only way a programmer would do that is if Apple added GPS to non-Cellular devices.
Ever use TomTom or Navigon? Both work fine without a cellular connection. Traffic obviously wouldn't work, but everything else works fine.
terraphantm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:04 AM   #41
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsworth View Post
That's the reason why it's not practical. You would have to run over to Starbucks every time you want to search for new directions.
The GPS chip that are inside iDevices work differently than what people think. In order for the GPS to work for Maps, directions, Searches and so forth, it needs a complimentary application to draw out and calculate the coordinates..
Well, I still THINK you're wrong but I'm not gonna express my views as confidently as you.

Puzzle me this: if what you say is true, why--after I've turned OFF cellular and wi-fi on my phone--why does my Navigon app continue to show lat and long changing as I walk around my house? Would seem that as I said in my original post, it's still getting a GPS signal. And because navigon maps are all downloaded to and stored to the device, they should work. Boy presto: I've got a nav app that works without having to "run over to Starbucks every time."

I love me a little empirical method. :-)

But do argue again if you still think this is wrong, because I want the right answer sussed out before I open the box.
rtdunham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:18 PM   #42
ellsworth
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post
Well, I still THINK you're wrong but I'm not gonna express my views as confidently as you.

Puzzle me this: if what you say is true, why--after I've turned OFF cellular and wi-fi on my phone--why does my Navigon app continue to show lat and long changing as I walk around my house? Would seem that as I said in my original post, it's still getting a GPS signal. And because navigon maps are all downloaded to and stored to the device, they should work. Boy presto: I've got a nav app that works without having to "run over to Starbucks every time."

I love me a little empirical method. :-)

But do argue again if you still think this is wrong, because I want the right answer sussed out before I open the box.
I probably am wrong... Along with Apple and all the other apps that require cellular a wifi connection in order for their GPS service to work correctly.

Navigon & Tom Tom are probably the exception. Hats off for them being able to satisfied what you want.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to agree with you by saying I'm wrong but I don't see Apple putting GPS in their non-cellular devices anytime soon.
ellsworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Apple Retail Stores Offering 30-Day Window to Exchange iPads for New Model MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 268 Sep 16, 2014 02:59 AM
Photo: New Mac Pro Arriving at Apple Retail Stores [Fake] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 59 Dec 18, 2013 08:20 AM
When are we likey to see LTE iPads in UK Apple stores? Steveh2780 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Nov 21, 2012 07:45 PM
iPad: LTE 4th-gen iPads arrive at U.S. Apple Stores, not yet for sale d0r1en0 iPad 1 Nov 14, 2012 03:15 PM
iPad: When will iPad 4 w/ LTE be available in Apple retail stores drnscr iPad 0 Nov 13, 2012 05:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC