Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Recommend a new display.

I sold my last display I was running dual 1080p Samsung's. My intent when selling them was to buy a 30" ACD (650 euro) from a friend of mine. I'm getting cold feet now for some reason. I watch movies make posters, fliers, certificates and such in Ps. I make business cards, plain certificates on misc. stuff in Ae. Edit sub 10Min videos in FCP and make small website animations in Flash nothing really special.

If you were to buy now what would you buy the ACD it's 8/10 but I think the allure of the display is the fruit nothing rational.

What says the MP forum?

Last edited by GermanyChris; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Umbongo
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: England
Samsung S27A850D, Dell U2713HM and ViewSonic VP2770-LED are what I would be looking at.

Read reviews on tftcentral and find the threads for them on hardforum.com's display subforum to help you decide.

Personally I feel that the Samsung is one of the best choices out there. Better than the really cheap 27" panels in terms of quality and with its light AG coating the right balance between glossy (Apple, cheap 27"s) and the heavy coating found on Dell, HP etc. The ViewSonic also has this and sort of sits between the Samsung/Dell models I listed and their more professional solutions.
Umbongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
I am in the market myself but luckily my crappy Dell display will do for now. The current ACD has tons of selling points but the glossy screen gives me pause. As the new iMac got USB3 support and a "reduced glare" screen and the current Apple Cinema is long overdue for a refresh, I'm betting those features will carry over.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:08 PM   #4
ClassObject
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I've had great success with several of Crossover 27q IPS from Korea. All 5 have arrived in about a week and have been perfect since June.

link
ClassObject is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:41 PM   #5
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassObject View Post
I've had great success with several of Crossover 27q IPS from Korea. All 5 have arrived in about a week and have been perfect since June.

link
I read nothing but bad things about those.

Only 1 input, DVI. Ships from Korea, no US presence for customer support, returns, or warranty support. Up to 20 dead pixels is considered normal, but who will care anyway because there's no real warranty or customer service to contact. High display lag. Cheap flimsy stands. No OSD. Built with low grade panels (A-) that are basically ACD rejects (too many flaws to sell to A and A+ vendors). Wrong power plug, and in at least one review, a 240V-only power supply.

Appears to be yet another clone of other Korean 27" WQHD displays: Achieva, Catleap, Yamakasi, etc., how many more labels can they slap onto the same monitor?

On the plus side, they are very inexpensive for what is basically the same panel as an ACD, and you can pay a little extra for a pixel-perfect guarantee, although I don't know how that would be supported... by the Ebay seller?
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Phrygian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
http://www.benq.us/
for the top quality stuff... but its expensive.
Phrygian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:56 PM   #7
ClassObject
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
I read nothing but bad things about those.

Only 1 input, DVI. Ships from Korea, no US presence for customer support, returns, or warranty support. Up to 20 dead pixels is considered normal, but who will care anyway because there's no real warranty or customer service to contact. High display lag. Cheap flimsy stands. No OSD. Built with low grade panels (A-) that are basically ACD rejects (too many flaws to sell to A and A+ vendors). Wrong power plug, and in at least one review, a 240V-only power supply.

Appears to be yet another clone of other Korean 27" WQHD displays: Achieva, Catleap, Yamakasi, etc., how many more labels can they slap onto the same monitor?

On the plus side, they are very inexpensive for what is basically the same panel as an ACD, and you can pay a little extra for a pixel-perfect guarantee, although I don't know how that would be supported... by the Ebay seller?
I personally know of about a dozen in use with no problems. I've read many success stories and also some bad ones. The seller I linked has been great. One of the monitors arrived crushed and shipping insurance took care of it. Took a week total turn around. One dev I work with bought three and one died after a day. Turnaround was a week also.

It's true that there is a single dvi input and no OSD and some of the stands are flimsy. None of that matters to me. I mount three on an arm and the picture is perfect and bright with no dead pixels. Couldn't be happier.
ClassObject is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassObject View Post
I personally know of about a dozen in use with no problems. I've read many success stories and also some bad ones. The seller I linked has been great. One of the monitors arrived crushed and shipping insurance took care of it. Took a week total turn around. One dev I work with bought three and one died after a day. Turnaround was a week also.

It's true that there is a single dvi input and no OSD and some of the stands are flimsy. None of that matters to me. I mount three on an arm and the picture is perfect and bright with no dead pixels. Couldn't be happier.
Sounds great! I just wanted to provide the back story too, so people can make a more informed choice.

My Dell Ultrasharp is on its 8th year of service and still going strong!
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
So I couldn't pull the trigger on the the 30" ACD I bought a U2412M instead. I'm a wuss..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
So I couldn't pull the trigger on the the 30" ACD I bought a U2412M instead. I'm a wuss..
Wise choice, lots of money saved and a decent screen bought.
I went even cheaper with an Iiyama LED TN panel, it looks fantastic:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/iiyama-E2475...3001583&sr=8-1
Screw Apple's overpriced under developed IPS models. 140 vs. 820 no contest even for a loss of 3".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-LED-Ci...3001711&sr=1-4
If you need a 27" monitor then Iiyama do this one for 281 same blinding performance as my 24" for twice the price:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/B2776HDS-Pro...3002525&sr=1-1

Last edited by gpzjock; Nov 16, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:45 PM   #11
nightlong
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
I use a 2412 ultra sharp Dell for my Air. For the price, it's good value. Colour is good, text isn't super sharp, but has lots of inputs.
__________________
Late 2013 13" MBPr 8/256, 2007 iMac 4GB, iPod classic. iPhone5 white 32.iPad4 white 64/LTE, iPad Air 32GB wifi white.
nightlong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:53 PM   #12
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjock View Post
Wise choice, lots of money saved and a decent screen bought.
I went even cheaper with an Iiyama LED TN panel, it looks fantastic:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/iiyama-E2475...3001583&sr=8-1
Screw Apple's overpriced under developed IPS models. 140 vs. 820 no contest even for a loss of 3".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-LED-Ci...3001711&sr=1-4
If you need a 27" monitor then Iiyama do this one for 281 same blinding performance as my 24" for twice the price:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/B2776HDS-Pro...3002525&sr=1-1
There is more to it than price and size. The 27" ACD is 2560x1440 and those 24" and 27" Iyamas are both 1920x1080. The ACD has almost 80% more pixels!

The ACD isn't a great price, but that's a really unfair comparison.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:41 PM   #13
nbdt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have a Dell U2711 anti-gloss. I like it once it's calibrated - started with tftcentral.co.uk (Adobe RGB) and then light calibration using Huey.
nbdt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:49 AM   #14
SDAVE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
There is more to it than price and size. The 27" ACD is 2560x1440 and those 24" and 27" Iyamas are both 1920x1080. The ACD has almost 80% more pixels!

The ACD isn't a great price, but that's a really unfair comparison.
Also the 30" ACD has a beautiful panel (LG)...kick ass display and matte.

Sure, it's not an IPS or an LED panel, but still a beautiful monitor nonetheless.

I can't use Apple products with any other monitors besides Apple's...Dell is really ugly, so is HP, etc.
__________________
iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (2011), Mac Pro 2008, Apple Cinema Display 30" Aluminium
SDAVE is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:01 AM   #15
CIA
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I rolled the dice and got one of the 27" Shimian panels. It's no frills super basic, but does what I need it to do, which is display native 2560x1440 with great color.

Read the review. I paid $300 shipped a few months back but it seems the prices are climbing slowly as people pick up on the deal. Very happy with mine, no noticeable dead/stuck pixels. The 5870 in my 08 MP drives it fine (along with a older Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor. They are available from multiple places online. I got mine via eBay...
CIA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:45 AM   #16
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000
 
JesterJJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Personally, after being introduced to dual displays I could never go back to a single screen no matter how big. Two x 23" beats one 27" or 30" any day. Now, I am however planning on upgrading one of my 23's to a 30"
__________________
jesterpictures.com theoryiseverything.com jarek.com
Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it
MacPro 12core, 64GB, GTX680, 30" ACD, 23" ACD -- 15" MBP 2.6 i7, Anti-Glare, 16GB, 240GB SSD + 1TB
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:56 AM   #17
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
There is more to it than price and size. The 27" ACD is 2560x1440 and those 24" and 27" Iyamas are both 1920x1080. The ACD has almost 80% more pixels!

The ACD isn't a great price, but that's a really unfair comparison.
Unfair? I compared price and image quality as I need it. The Iiyama's pixel count is plenty dense enough for a 24" screen IMHO, so I am happy to spend a fraction of the price to get the image quality that satisfies my needs. By all means spend more if you need to. I don't. The ACD has 11,706 pixels per square inch, my 24" Iiyama has 8,448 ppsqi, that is only 28% less density and negligible to me at a viewing range of more than 18" away.


Even if you do want the same resolution another manufacturer will supply the same panel for a fraction of the Apple price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-PB278Q-...3058321&sr=8-1

When I chose a Mac Pro I bought the bare bones 2008 octo 2.8 for 1400 new (Irish import) over 300 cheaper than a UK one, I filled it with 3rd party RAM (16 GB) for 400, Apple would have charged me 1800 for that, I put in my own 120 GB SSD for 200, Apple's price at the time 600, I added 3 more HDDs for less than 300, Apple price 200 each, finally I flashed a 5870 bought for under 290 when they were new, Apple still want 377 for one today and 449 back in the day.
Add these savings to not buying a display for over 800 and I think I just saved enough to buy my next 2 motorcycles.....
My price: 2730, Apple's price: 5945. I knew there was a reason I'm Scottish.

Last edited by gpzjock; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:11 AM   #18
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJJZ View Post
Personally, after being introduced to dual displays I could never go back to a single screen no matter how big. Two x 23" beats one 27" or 30" any day. Now, I am however planning on upgrading one of my 23's to a 30"
I'll most likely go back to duals but 1 display will be small. I build computers on the side and it's nice to have the extra display around to hook the new computer into for setup.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:19 AM   #19
DPUser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I am enjoying two Dell U2412m displays (display port), plus run a third small vga display off to the side for a video feed while composing to picture. I am very pleased with the Dells' picture quality, and my deskspace feels luxuriously expansive. $600 for the pair, and this includes a warranty...
DPUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:29 AM   #20
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjock View Post
Unfair? I compared price and image quality as I need it. The Iiyama's pixel count is plenty dense enough for a 24" screen IMHO, so I am happy to spend a fraction of the price to get the image quality that satisfies my needs. By all means spend more if you need to. I don't. The ACD has 11,706 pixels per square inch, my 24" Iiyama has 8,448 ppsqi, that is only 28% less density and negligible to me at a viewing range of more than 18" away.
As this is a thread about recommending monitors, I felt other people should know there is a substantial difference. The resolution appears to be unimportant to you. To me it is important, and so I suspect maybe to others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjock View Post
Even if you do want the same resolution another manufacturer will supply the same panel for a fraction of the Apple price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-PB278Q-...3058321&sr=8-1
I completely agree. I wasn't defending Apple; in fact I specifically said, "The ACD isn't a great price". I myself don't have an Apple monitor, I have a Dell Ultrasharp.

My only point was that there is an 80% difference in the number of pixels. This Asus you mention is a much more fair comparison, IMHO, due to having identical resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjock View Post
When I chose a Mac Pro I bought the bare bones 2008 octo 2.8 for 1400 new (Irish import) over 300 cheaper than a UK one, I filled it with 3rd party RAM (16 GB) for 400, Apple would have charged me 1800 for that, I put in my own 120 GB SSD for 200, Apple's price at the time 600, I added 3 more HDDs for less than 300, Apple price 200 each, finally I flashed a 5870 bought for under 290 when they were new, Apple still want 445 for one today.
Add these savings to not buying a display for over 800 and I think I just saved enough to buy my next 2 motorcycles.....
My price: 2730, Apple's price: 5945. I knew there was a reason I'm Scottish.
Uhhhh... ok? I don't know what this has to do with monitor recommendations, but good for you.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:01 PM   #21
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post


Uhhhh... ok? I don't know what this has to do with monitor recommendations, but good for you.
My point was I'm not in the habit of defending Apple's pricing for anything you can buy yourself and add in. I'd be poorer for that and others would be too, monitors included.
By following a policy of buying non-Apple branded items that have the same or similar behaviour to Apple ones, anyone can benefit from Mac OS X without having to excessively line the pockets of one of the worlds greediest multinational companies.

Glad you agree at least when it comes to monitors, the Asus or Dell make much more economic sense, I was merely extrapolating this argument to encompass the whole machine. Please excuse the offtopic nature of my digression.

Last edited by gpzjock; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:58 PM   #22
dakovar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Microcenter - Auria 27" EQ276W 2560x1440

If you have a Microcenter near by, get the Auria 27" EQ276W. It is one of the Korean 27" 2560x1440 monitors, but it can be returned locally AND it has a built in Display Port. The price is unbeatable at $399 from my perspective.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...PS_LED_Monitor
dakovar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:49 AM   #23
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dubai, UAE
For the gaming part of my dual screen setup I have the Sony ps3 3D display, works a treat at 24inches and native hd. For the working side of my setup I have my trusty Wacom Cintiq. Both displays are IMHO awesome for what they are designed for.

Should edit my sig..
__________________
Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15"
BUILDING: TB eGPU Sonnet Echo Express + GTX480
Wacom Cintiq 21UX 24" Sony PS3 3D display.
VanneDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:08 AM   #24
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
After Christmas I'm going to pick up a second 2412M, this 1 display stuff is for the birds.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can anyone recommend Asus 27" PB278Q PLS display? Skylitfly Mac Peripherals 3 May 24, 2014 10:06 AM
Recommend a display for video monitoring whilst editing MIDI_EVIL Digital Video 6 Feb 5, 2013 05:21 AM
Recommend a display with good uniformity JD92 Mac Peripherals 2 Jan 11, 2013 09:05 PM
make external display primary display when macbook display no longer works Andy88! Mac Basics and Help 1 Nov 3, 2012 07:36 PM
I recommend these sleeves for the MacBook Pro Retina Display iRobby MacBook Pro 3 Jun 21, 2012 06:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC