Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:16 PM   #26
PikachuBoobie
macrumors member

When you're connected to wifi and doing downloading/websurfing/etc, does that use up your data as well or no?
PikachuBoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:41 PM   #27
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Hope you're making her pay her own overages.
If she does then she might then consider connecting to the fios wifi instead.
oh I have. haha. shes reluctantly turning wifi on.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:51 PM   #28
jkun
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznTakumi View Post
do you guys get throttle? because I almost used pass 10gb on att and been throttle since 5gb...
No. Verizon does not throttle unlimited LTE and is not allowed to. They were forbidden from throttling LTE usage by the FCC when Verizon was allowed to purchase more LTE spectrum.
jkun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:51 PM   #29
michaelmac3
macrumors member

For the record, I don't even live in an LTE area and since getting my 5 I've BLOWN through data doing nothing that I didn't normally do on my 4 or 4S. It's almost like with all these wifi issues that it's using data and wifi simultaneously. That would explain why sometimes it's quick and sometimes it's slower than smoke, and the random spike in data usage when I'm still using the same EDGE/3G/HSPA+ combo and doing the same things as always.
michaelmac3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:06 PM   #30
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuBoobie View Post
When you're connected to wifi and doing downloading/websurfing/etc, does that use up your data as well or no?
Wifi is a separate internet ride (no data charge.) IIRC, I think the Verizon glitch (supposedly fixed with an update) was that some users were seeing the wifi symbol on the iPhone but actually they were still using LTE because it wasn't shutting off/handing off to wifi properly.
lelisa13p is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:21 PM   #31
Jman13
macrumors 65816

My data usage has been down this month, which is odd. I've only used 2.3GB of my 5GB allowance, and I even went on a trip where I streamed stuff all day long, ran many speedtests on LTE and spent several days away from Wifi. Usually I'm over 3 by this point in the month.
Jman13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:24 PM   #32
realeric
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot83706 View Post
I am on best network on the world AT&T!
I would stop using Popcasts app or turn the cellular data off. It has a serious bug eating cellular data.
Attached Images

realeric is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:37 PM   #33
Kisey
macrumors 6502

Same issue here. I only have the 200mb data plan, and I've never gone over when I had my iPhone 4. Just a few days into having an iPhone 5, and I'm already halfway through my data allotment. I rarely even use data (exactly why I only have 200mb plan), so I am not sure how I have used much more with the 5 with the same usage. I don't think the whole "you're just using it more" or "it's faster so you're loading more pages", etc is entirely true.
Kisey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:53 PM   #34
whynot83706
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
I would stop using Popcasts app or turn the cellular data off. It has a serious bug eating cellular data.
I did check and my Data is Off...I don't remember changing it before but I will make sure I download Podcast next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	371747  
whynot83706 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:31 PM   #35
whynot83706
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmac3 View Post
For the record, I don't even live in an LTE area and since getting my 5 I've BLOWN through data doing nothing that I didn't normally do on my 4 or 4S. It's almost like with all these wifi issues that it's using data and wifi simultaneously. That would explain why sometimes it's quick and sometimes it's slower than smoke, and the random spike in data usage when I'm still using the same EDGE/3G/HSPA+ combo and doing the same things as always.
Same thing with me, I can understand I did use little more because its new iPhone so I did spend little more time playing with it....but not that much.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:46 AM   #36
qawsed27
macrumors member

Applejuiced and others like him...you lose.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1489771

Quote:
No, it's a usage problem. Not an iOS 6 issue.
I'm on lte unlimited and only used 195mb in 3 weeks.
So believe it or not you used the data somehow. It didn't magically rack up all those GB's.
Quote:
You used up the data period. Podcast app or whatever you used still its not an iOS issue or carrier scam or anything else.
That's what I was saying.
Is it that hard to get?
Wether you knew or understand what used the data or not the data was used and measured on the carriers end.
qawsed27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:21 PM   #37
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Wow that is crazy! How do you use such small amount of data, 5 gigs I cant believe its so low, CRAZY..... I cant seem to make it through the month with less than 20 gigs. I call BS here, thats just crazy low.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:54 PM   #38
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by qawsed27 View Post
Applejuiced and others like him...you lose.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1489771
I heard about the podcasts bug but I never experienced it personally since I dont have that app installed or download podcasts.
I dont think everyone uses that app.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:58 PM   #39
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
If you are on verizon and haven't yet done the carrier update that could very well be the issue. There was an issue where it was still using data even on wifi. You have to go to the settings about menu and it will pop up saying there is a carrier update. If you have already gotten it, then im not sure. But since I discovered Podcasts eating data I started downloading them on wifi ahead of time and have only used about 270MB in a week now (as opposed to 4GB in about 5 days.)
the pic clearly showed AT&T lmao
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone