Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:03 PM   #26
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
The reserves/pre-orders are contract only.
I reserved one at 10 pm on contract. When I showed up, I asked if they would sell it to me device only. They agreed, and cancelled my contract extension. it didn't seem like a big deal or unusual request. Boylston store, Boston.

Edit: so exactly the same experience as jlp2979, except I was already an AT&T customer, so they didn't cancel my service, just the new contract extension.
QCassidy352 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:10 PM   #27
jlp2979
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanchen242 View Post
They told me its only being sold to people with reservations. But when you reserve it, dont you have to sign up for a plan?
I signed up for a plan when I reserved the phone, yes. When they returned and re-sold the phone to me at full price I did not select any type of plan and it was sold to me contract free. I was told to go to AT&T store to work that out / re-activate the account as month to month and was given a new sim card if I wanted to use AT&T. Some people report that if you buy the phone outright it will show the unlocked message when you plug into iTunes with a t-mobile sim, I haven't tried using a t-mobile sim yet.

It looks like various stores are doing different things. My account was never canceled though and the "old" sim that came with the phone still works. So I'm sure I'll be dealing with AT&T nonsense in the next few days to remove the contract from my account.
jlp2979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:17 PM   #28
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
I reserved one at 10 pm on contract. When I showed up, I asked if they would sell it to me device only. They agreed, and cancelled my contract extension. it didn't seem like a big deal or unusual request. Boylston store, Boston.

Edit: so exactly the same experience as jlp2979, except I was already an AT&T customer, so they didn't cancel my service, just the new contract extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2979 View Post
I signed up for a plan when I reserved the phone, yes. When they returned and re-sold the phone to me at full price I did not select any type of plan and it was sold to me contract free. I was told to go to AT&T store to work that out / re-activate the account as month to month and was given a new sim card if I wanted to use AT&T. Some people report that if you buy the phone outright it will show the unlocked message when you plug into iTunes with a t-mobile sim, I haven't tried using a t-mobile sim yet.

It looks like various stores are doing different things. My account was never canceled though and the "old" sim that came with the phone still works. So I'm sure I'll be dealing with AT&T nonsense in the next few days to remove the contract from my account.
Yeah, I know a lot of the stores were selling the phones to "walk-ins" if there was a line when people were doing that. They told them they would have to wait in that line and the phone they previously reserved may or may not be available. Really seems like it depends on which store/genius you get.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:31 AM   #29
nanchen242
macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with the apple store in 5th ave, nyc and they said they do have it in stock but won't sell it to me full pruce w.o a contract. They said it's their policy in that store but i can try others. But they all say the same thing

Last edited by nanchen242; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
nanchen242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 PM   #30
RNVarma
macrumors regular

Quote:
Just got off the phone with the apple store in 5th ave, nyc and they said they do have it in stock but won't sell it to me full pruce w.o a contract. They said it's their policy in that store but i can try others. But they all say the same thing
That is very strange. Perhaps they're worried about resellers depleting their stock?

I did not have a problem when I bought my 4S last year off-contract and device only.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:32 AM   #31
nanchen242
macrumors newbie

Wow, ok this sucks. The iPhone 5 has been out for almost 2 months and I still can't get my hands on the it. First the apple stores wont sell it w.o a contract and now, the att store, verizon store, bestbuy and radioshack is doing the same here in NYC.....fml.

so....any suggestions guys? my galaxy s2 is dying. the power button has been turning my phone off and on for the past month..
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:43 AM   #32
mattroman246
macrumors 6502

maybe you got that one guy who was having a bad day
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:45 AM   #33
itismadhan
macrumors member

SFO store

I went to the SFO store and asked for an iPhone out of contract. They said they don't anymore and its ONLY SFO stores and NYC stores. You can get them out of contract everywhere else
itismadhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 AM   #34
nanchen242
macrumors newbie

They all said they do have them in stock, they just arent selling them w.o a contract right now.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 AM   #35
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wow, ok this sucks. The iPhone 5 has been out for almost 2 months and I still can't get my hands on the it. First the apple stores wont sell it w.o a contract and now, the att store, verizon store, bestbuy and radioshack is doing the same here in NYC.....fml.

so....any suggestions guys? my galaxy s2 is dying. the power button has been turning my phone off and on for the past month..
Look on craigslist. You're in NYC. There are tons of sellers on craigslist selling at or below retail price. Apple gave me the same crap up here in Albany.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone