Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2026
Jayuk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
With this semester ending in less than a month, I decided to buy myself a few things for having all A's..
how did you finding nexus 10?

thinking of buying myself one of em
Jayuk is offline   1
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2027
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayuk View Post
how did you finding nexus 10?

thinking of buying myself one of em
I ordered the nexus 10 yesterday (11-13-12) from the google play store but it hasn't shipped yet. From what the reviewers are saying, it seems like a good tablet. As of writing this, the 16gb ($399) is still in stock but the 32gb ($499) is sold out
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon Silver 64gb iPhone 6 plus
16gb iPad Mini
Samsung Note 10.1 (2014) 16gb
AlabamaSlammer is offline   1
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2028
rkmac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: JAFA, New Zealand

iPad mini 16GB Black Wifi + Dark Grey Smart Cover.
__________________
rkmac.
MacBook Air | iPhone 5 | iPad mini
web|twitter|flickr
rkmac is offline   8
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:01 AM   #2029
zwodubber
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Just ordered this, I'll feel much better with 4 hot swappable bays.

__________________
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Core i5 8GB RAM 480GB OWC 6G SSD
2006 15" MBP 2.0 Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 160GB HD
Powermac dual 867 ; iPhone4 ; AppleTV ; iPad Mini
zwodubber is offline   7
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:14 AM   #2030
t0rr3s
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
sold off my 18-55 kit lens and got this baby instead. nice bit of glass this.

__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   2
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:21 AM   #2031
gabicava83
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwodubber View Post
Just ordered this, I'll feel much better with 4 hot swappable bays.

Image
Why not the synology
gabicava83 is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:54 AM   #2032
twietee
macrumors 68040
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Only so much time to devote to ridiculous obsessions...coffee is mine!!
What ever happened to that expensive grinder we all dreamed about? Still making up your mind? Impulsive spending is the way to go!

And I don't want to hear those cheap 'I just bought iPad4 and iPhone5 blablabla' excuses!


I just got this nice peppy fellow:

Not a Peugot, but still very good. Love the olive finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dt_xl_Frankfurt_Olive_xl_2297_652967.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	377419  

Last edited by twietee; Nov 15, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
twietee is offline   2
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:11 AM   #2033
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
What ever happened to that expensive grinder we all dreamed about? Still making up your mind? Impulsive spending is the way to go!

And I don't want to hear those cheap 'I just bought iPad4 and iPhone5 blablabla' excuses!


I just got this nice peppy fellow:

Not a Peugot, but still very good. Love the olive finish.
He, He....A little bird informed me that he's bought the grinder!!!
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   2
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:15 AM   #2034
twietee
macrumors 68040
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
He, He....A little bird informed me that he's bought the grinder!!!


And now he can opt for that bluray player!
twietee is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:30 AM   #2035
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post


And now he can opt for that bluray player!
Yes, yes...I'm weak and pathetic. I did order the grinder. MacMan45's little bird had the straight poop! (get it?...birdy...poop...) It is due for delivery some time in January 2013, assuming no production problems. HG-One posted a map of all the grinders sold worldwide.

No plans for a Blu-Ray at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 7.28.13 AM.png
Views:	41
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	377435  
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   2
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:05 AM   #2036
twietee
macrumors 68040
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Yes, yes...I'm weak and pathetic. I did order the grinder. MacMan45's little bird had the straight poop! (get it?...birdy...poop...) It is due for delivery some time in January 2013, assuming no production problems. HG-One posted a map of all the grinders sold worldwide.

No plans for a Blu-Ray at the moment.
So cool! Which one did you order 71 or 83mm? Very curious though, hope for a full report of yours and then....will....probably....get that 23.99€ Braun thing
twietee is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:26 AM   #2037
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
So cool! Which one did you order 71 or 83mm? Very curious though, hope for a full report of yours and then....will....probably....get that 23.99€ Braun thing
I ordered the 83MM grinder.

One suggestion regarding your purchase of a grinder. It s generally agreed that second to the quality of the beans, the next most important element in making espresso is the grinder...more important even than the machine. Whatever grinder you get, make sure it is a BURR grinder (ideally conical burr, but flat burr is fine). NO BLADES ON PENALTY OF DEATH!! The next most important variable in the grinder is the number of adjustments. The (purportedly) best is "stepless" adjustment; i.e no clicks, just an infinitely variable adjustment. I currently have a grinder with 55 "stepped" adjustments. This allows grinding from very coarse (for press) to very fine (for espresso). The high number of adjustments make each "click" so fine as to be almost stepless.

The bottom line is my suggestion that whatever grinder you buy have as many adjustment steps as possible. A very small adjustment can make the difference between under extraction, over extraction, and the "right" extraction time when making the espresso.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   2
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2038
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040
 
h1r0ll3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
It's kind of like a fruit / wine / etc of the month club, with olive oil. You pick out a grove in Italy and you get olive oil pressed from "your tree" (or your share in the output of the grove, 1.5 liters to start and any additional you request). They make great oil! I use their mandarin olive oil in waffles, muffins, cakes.. I got the subscription, a couple of cans of olive oil to go with the subscription packet ("your" olive oil comes a few months down the road) and the book written by the people who started the enterprise ("The Dolce Vita Diaries"). A great gift for the foodie in your life who has everything already. http://nudo-italia.com/
Ahh, ok. Thanks for that.
__________________
15" MBP iPad (3rd Gen) iPod Nano (6th Gen) & 160GB Classic ATV
Galaxy Note 2
h1r0ll3r is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2039
pakyooh
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to pakyooh
Moleskine + MILK photo book I ordered came in. Put together a book for the last wedding I did just so I have something to show when I meet with clients (most of my work are only accessible online for now).



__________________
pakyooh is offline   5
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 AM   #2040
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I just ordered this Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Sharp Duo Knife Sharpener.

The reviews were great. I have a 3 stage ChefChoice sharpener which weighs a ton, makes a huge racket, takes forever to sharpen a few knives, and doesn't really put on a particularly good edge. It's such a pain in the ass it's up in the cabinet and I never use it.One of the reviewers (a professional chef) compared the two and found this to be better in all ways...AND IT WAS CHEAP!!!
I have that and it works great. I can't believe it was so inexpensive.
GoCubsGo is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2041
iApache
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmac View Post
Image
iPad mini 16GB Black Wifi + Dark Grey Smart Cover.
Hey there! I see you also have a MBA, may I ask if you are using the ipad mini more or less then the MBA?
__________________
MacBook Air | iMac | iPhone 5S
iApache is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2042
Colombianito
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Wife shattered the screen on her iPhone 4. I decided she needed an iPhone 5 to compliment mine. Got her a 32 GB white one.
Colombianito is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:21 AM   #2043
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombianito View Post
Wife shattered the screen on her iPhone 4. I decided she needed an iPhone 5 to compliment mine. Got her a 32 GB white one.
Happy wife = happy life or some **** like that.
GoCubsGo is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2044
twietee
macrumors 68040
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I ordered the 83MM grinder.

One suggestion regarding your purchase of a grinder. It s generally agreed that second to the quality of the beans, the next most important element in making espresso is the grinder...more important even than the machine. Whatever grinder you get, make sure it is a BURR grinder (ideally conical burr, but flat burr is fine). NO BLADES ON PENALTY OF DEATH!! The next most important variable in the grinder is the number of adjustments. The (purportedly) best is "stepless" adjustment; i.e no clicks, just an infinitely variable adjustment. I currently have a grinder with 55 "stepped" adjustments. This allows grinding from very coarse (for press) to very fine (for espresso). The high number of adjustments make each "click" so fine as to be almost stepless.

The bottom line is my suggestion that whatever grinder you buy have as many adjustment steps as possible. A very small adjustment can make the difference between under extraction, over extraction, and the "right" extraction time when making the espresso.
Thank's again once more. I'm still undecided though. Maybe I'll opt for these cheap but ok-ish Braun things (blades) for the moment as I have to get lots of new furniture this year as I'm moving in with my girlfriend. Yay. And spending 850$ for the perfect burr grinder, I'm sure that'll cause lots of trouble right now - and I don't want to drink that perfect cup of coffee alone.
For my Bialetti it'll work fine enough, I think.

One question though: what's the big deal with 71 compared to 83mm? Difference in price is only 10$ if I checked right. Any reason not to go with 83mm?
twietee is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2045
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I ordered the 83MM grinder.

One suggestion regarding your purchase of a grinder. It s generally agreed that second to the quality of the beans, the next most important element in making espresso is the grinder...more important even than the machine. Whatever grinder you get, make sure it is a BURR grinder (ideally conical burr, but flat burr is fine). NO BLADES ON PENALTY OF DEATH!! The next most important variable in the grinder is the number of adjustments. The (purportedly) best is "stepless" adjustment; i.e no clicks, just an infinitely variable adjustment. I currently have a grinder with 55 "stepped" adjustments. This allows grinding from very coarse (for press) to very fine (for espresso). The high number of adjustments make each "click" so fine as to be almost stepless.

The bottom line is my suggestion that whatever grinder you buy have as many adjustment steps as possible. A very small adjustment can make the difference between under extraction, over extraction, and the "right" extraction time when making the espresso.

Penalty of death? Now I know he's really coffee bananas....I'm sticking with my drip thing! In the morning I want coffees NOW! I can't see me fiddling with step settings etc. but I know you like your coffee hobby...enjoy
__________________
Thats Not All Folks

Last edited by Macman45; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Edit
Macman45 is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2046
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Thank's again once more. I'm still undecided though. Maybe I'll opt for these cheap but ok-ish Braun things (blades) for the moment as I have to get lots of new furniture this year as I'm moving in with my girlfriend. Yay. And spending 850$ for the perfect burr grinder, I'm sure that'll cause lots of trouble right now - and I don't want to drink that perfect cup of coffee alone.
For my Bialetti it'll work fine enough, I think.

One question though: what's the big deal with 71 compared to 83mm? Difference in price is only 10$ if I checked right. Any reason not to go with 83mm?
Buddy, really, really, really...don't get anything with blades. You can find an inexpensive burr grinder.

Blade choppers will completely ruin your coffee beans. You want an even grind, meaning all the particles are the same size. The chopper ones give you all different size particles...big chunks, fine powder, all kinds of crap. And then you will be tempted to just keep grinding, creating bean destroying heat.When you try to tamp it, you will get a lousy puck and the water will find "channels" and give you lousy espresso. The blade ones create a lot of heat. Heat is the enemy of your coffee beans. It scorches the beans and cooks the coffee oils. Believe me, you will ruin your coffee using a blade grinder. There are inexpensive burr grinders. You don't have to spend a bunch of money (as I did) to get an OK BURR grinder. Remember, the grinder is, after the beans, the most important element in your espresso making. You will just ruin your beans and waste whatever you paid for them if you use a blade chopper.

Mu understanding of the difference between the 71MM and the 83MM burrs is that the physical effort needed to turn the flywheel is much less with the 71MM burrs. You can get the grinder with 71MM burrs, and then if you want the advantages of the 83MM, you can switch them out. However, the replacement burrs, not surprisingly, cost a lot. So I went with the 83MM and will lift weights to strengthen my arm, if necessary!!

DON"T GET THE BLADE CHOPPER!!
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   2
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2047
lukefinch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Yorkshire, England
Send a message via MSN to lukefinch
I used to play guitar a bit a couple of years ago and have wanted to get back into it for a while so today, I got the new guitar and amplifier that I ordered yesterday.


New Guitar by lukefinch, on Flickr

Together, they cost me 170. The guitar is an alpine white Epiphone Les Paul Junior and the amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 15. The amp also came with an FBV2 2 button foot switch.

So far, I am very impressed with both the guitar and the amp
__________________
White MacBook 2.13GHz 4gb RAM 120gb SSD Black iPhone 5 16Gb White iPad Mini 32gb
lukefinch is offline   3
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2048
twietee
macrumors 68040
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Buddy, really, really, really...don't get anything with blades. You can find an inexpensive burr grinder.

Blade choppers will completely ruin your coffee beans. You want an even grind, meaning all the particles are the same size. The chopper ones give you all different size particles...big chunks, fine powder, all kinds of crap. And then you will be tempted to just keep grinding, creating bean destroying heat.When you try to tamp it, you will get a lousy puck and the water will find "channels" and give you lousy espresso. The blade ones create a lot of heat. Heat is the enemy of your coffee beans. It scorches the beans and cooks the coffee oils. Believe me, you will ruin your coffee using a blade grinder. There are inexpensive burr grinders. You don't have to spend a bunch of money (as I did) to get an OK BURR grinder. Remember, the grinder is, after the beans, the most important element in your espresso making. You will just ruin your beans and waste whatever you paid for them if you use a blade chopper.

Mu understanding of the difference between the 71MM and the 83MM burrs is that the physical effort needed to turn the flywheel is much less with the 71MM burrs. You can get the grinder with 71MM burrs, and then if you want the advantages of the 83MM, you can switch them out. However, the replacement burrs, not surprisingly, cost a lot. So I went with the 83MM and will lift weights to strengthen my arm, if necessary!!

DON"T GET THE BLADE CHOPPER!!




ok, ok. I'll surrender. And did you just call your eight-hundred-bucks-and-more-HG-One an "OK BURR grinder??!"

No, really

twietee is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2049
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post



ok, ok. I'll surrender. And did you just call your eight-hundred-bucks-and-more-HG-One an "OK BURR grinder??!"

No, really

Bad sentence construction!

That baby better be a WHOLE LOT BETTER than just OK!!!

Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to twist your arm. But a blade chopper is death to your beans.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2050
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
Pick up a couple copies of the Cities97 Sampler Vol. 24 today:

Thumb resize.
__________________
| 2011 Mac Mini i7 | 32GB iPad (4th Gen) | 16GB iPhone 4S |
fiddlestyx is offline   1


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post Your Last Purchase XXVII SandboxGeneral Picture Gallery 3854 Today 11:33 AM
Post Your Last Purchase XXVI GoCubsGo Picture Gallery 2000 Dec 2, 2013 12:09 AM
Post Your Last Purchase XXV peapody Picture Gallery 2022 Jul 13, 2013 09:34 PM
Post Your Last Purchase XXIV wordoflife Picture Gallery 2019 Mar 13, 2013 03:33 PM
Changing subsidized purchase to outright purchase jjk454ss iPhone 3 Sep 18, 2012 12:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC