Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1
mwhities
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
I pulled the trigger.

No, no... I didn't shot my mac mini, nor did I buy a 2012 mac mini....

I saw a listing for a 2010 Mac mini on craigslist for 500 OBO. I called and received voice mail. I figured it was gone already. Not thinking I'd get a chance at it, I posted a Want to buy add in Market Place for a Silver Nano (Really want one.) and had one person offer.

Well, a few minutes later, my phone rang and it was the person (guy) with the mac mini for sale. I asked what would ne the least he'd take for it and that I had cash money in hand. He stated he was asking 500 but, he'd entertain 450. I hesitated for a minute (actually looking up the cost of them and the new 2012 mac mini base (again and again)) and he said that he'd take 400. I told him deal.

He wanted to meet at the Apple Store so they could transfer his pics off the mac mini onto his MBP. I told him that I was an ACA and that we could meet at his location or the local coffee store and I could do it for him. He said that'd be great.

Well, an hour or so later, my wife called and said she was taking our 2yo to the doctor as he wasn't feeling well and complaining of his throat hurting. Strep, our 5yo had it Sunday... So she took him to the dr, confirmed strep and gave him a penicillin shot. MAJOR allergic reaction. So off to the children's hospital.

I call the guy and tell him that I DO want to buy the mac mini and then told him what was going on. He said that he was going out of town today and wouldn't be bak until next week. DRATS! He said he'd still have it and we could meet up whenever he gets back.

So, I haven't officially bough it it yet but, I am going to get a 2010 Mac Mini (4G ram upgraded) for 400. Then I'll transfer all of his files for him for free of course.

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. I had to get that out.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I hope your son is okay.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
thestickman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Hope your youngin' get well asap!!
__________________
2012 i7 2.3ghz Mac Mini 16 GB, 2012 11" MBA 1.6 ghz 2 GB; 2010 iMac i3 3.2ghz, 16 GB RAM ; 2007 Macbook 2.0ghz, 2 GB RAM ; iPad2 16GB
thestickman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Psychj0e
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
You sum-up all that is wrong with the people on Mac Rumors, and Apple fans in general.

Last edited by Psychj0e; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Psychj0e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I hope your son is okay.
Thanks. Just gotta keep an eye on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestickman View Post
Hope your youngin' get well asap!!
Thank you. He's good. Even with the allergic reaction, the penicillin will still knock out the strep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
You sum-up all that is wrong with the people on Mac Rumors, and Apple fans in general.
Because I'm broke and found (got) a really good deal on a Mac mini? If so, you are correct.

Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated, although, off topic and pointless.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:31 PM   #6
js81
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Good deal! $400 is a good price for that! My only concern would be the Core 2 Duo CPU, but that's what's in my my MBP and it's still plenty usable. Enjoy! Hope your son gets well soon; my wife, myself, and my 3 month old daughter have all been sick for a week now. One of the pitfalls of being an elementary school teacher...
__________________
Late-09 Mac mini server, 16GB iPad 2
js81 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:41 PM   #7
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by js81 View Post
Good deal! $400 is a good price for that! My only concern would be the Core 2 Duo CPU, but that's what's in my my MBP and it's still plenty usable. Enjoy! Hope your son gets well soon; my wife, myself, and my 3 month old daughter have all been sick for a week now. One of the pitfalls of being an elementary school teacher...
Thanks. My MacBook has the same specs. I want to get a Samsung 830 256G drive, put that in my MacBook and out the current 128G in the Mac mini.

Eventually get some external drives and use that as my media server. My 09 Mac mini will become my 5yo's computer.

Thank you. He's well, just penicillin stays in one's system up to 10 days or so. Dr said he'd possible get smaller reactions of itchy skin and hives for the next 10+ days. :/
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #8
atthecross
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
same here, hope your son will be well
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:45 PM   #9
js81
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
He's well, just penicillin stays in one's system up to 10 days or so. Dr said he'd possible get smaller reactions of itchy skin and hives for the next 10+ days. :/
Ugh - I know the feeling. Exactly the same that I found out I was allergic to penicillin, too.

On a side note, upgrade that Mini to 8GB of RAM. Even though Apple says 4GB (I think), it WILL support 8GB. And if you don't need the optical drive, remove it and put a SECOND SSD and stripe those bad boys.
__________________
Late-09 Mac mini server, 16GB iPad 2
js81 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:05 PM   #10
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthecross View Post
same here, hope your son will be well
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js81 View Post
Ugh - I know the feeling. Exactly the same that I found out I was allergic to penicillin, too.

On a side note, upgrade that Mini to 8GB of RAM. Even though Apple says 4GB (I think), it WILL support 8GB. And if you don't need the optical drive, remove it and put a SECOND SSD and stripe those bad boys.
It's not good.

I plan to up the ram to 8G and I actually want to keep the optical drive. I did add the data doubler to my 09 mac mini. 64G SSD main and a 750G 7200RPM for storage. The second SSD striped would be an over kill for me.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:45 PM   #11
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Is your son OK?

What specs does that mini have? I got a 2010 Mini and I'm planning to sell it. I just don't know how much ask for it.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:48 PM   #12
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
Is your son OK?

What specs does that mini have? I got a 2010 Mini and I'm planning to sell it. I just don't know how much ask for it.
Yes, thank you.

This one at everymac.:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...010-specs.html

4Gs ram, otherwise, everything else is stock.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:54 PM   #13
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Yes, thank you.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...010-specs.html

4Gs ram, otherwise, everything else is stock.
Same as mine. C2D 2.4GHz. 4GB of RAM too. Mmm… will try €450 as my first price.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:01 PM   #14
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
Good to hear!



Same as mine. C2D 2.4GHz. 4GB of RAM too. Mmm… will try €450 as my first price.
Thanks.

Yeah, I'll be upping the RAM to 8Gs for sure.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Thanks.

Yeah, I'll be upping the RAM to 8Gs for sure.
Do it. 8GB are super cheap nowadays and it won't hurt.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Psychj0e
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post


Because I'm broke and found (got) a really good deal on a Mac mini? If so, you are correct.

Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated, although, off topic and pointless.
Not because your broke, but because your excitement about your new toy seemed to outweigh the fact that your son was/is in hospital after a severe reaction to penicillin.
Psychj0e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:38 AM   #17
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
Not because your broke, but because your excitement about your new toy seemed to outweigh the fact that your son was/is in hospital after a severe reaction to penicillin.
Seemed. I was excited but, no, it wouldn't out weigh it. If it seemed like it, I apologize.

I read your comment as I was stiffing the guy. Again, my apologizes.

Either way, my son is back to normal (tearing stuff up and being his loud self) and feeling great.

Thanks all.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Question Hmmm...

You're broke and already have two Macs, not to mention a family to support. And yet you intend to spend $400 on a Mac that you don't really need...

Hopefully during the time you are waiting for the seller to return you will reconsider and postpone this unnecessary purchase.
Mojo1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:56 AM   #19
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
You're broke and already have two Macs, not to mention a family to support. And yet you intend to spend $400 on a Mac that you don't really need...

Hopefully during the time you are waiting for the seller to return you will reconsider and postpone this unnecessary purchase.
haha

Okay, okay.. enough with the ball busting already.

Broke, yeah, I could spend it on necessary items needed. Like food, gas, bills and everything else that is needed... Ohh wait, that's all paid for already... this is extra spending money that I get on side jobs. I'll never purchase something I "don't need" over the well being of my family.

When I stated "broke" it's in reference to the extra spending money I have monthly. If you'd like, I'll update the OP to reflect that.

Anyways, I'm looking for a couple more systems (one for my 2yo and one for my wife as well) plus a few more for testing and learning to create images, re-image systems, create cloned backups, setup OD, mess up the OSes testing different things, and generally learn more about OS X via hands on. I want my ACSP soon.

So, thanks for your post too. I enjoyed the chuckle.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:03 PM   #20
js81
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
haha

Okay, okay.. enough with the ball busting already.
... Ohh wait, that's all paid for already... this is extra spending money that I get on side jobs. I'll never purchase something I "don't need" over the well being of my family.
LOL, nice. I LOVE IT. Mainly because it's me to a T. Poor school teacher here... that's why I've been looking for a cheap Mac, too, to replace a beast PC. Some of us would LOVE to be able to just buy the nice shiny new iMac, but that just isn't an option.
__________________
Late-09 Mac mini server, 16GB iPad 2
js81 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:21 PM   #21
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by js81 View Post
LOL, nice. I LOVE IT. Mainly because it's me to a T. Poor school teacher here... that's why I've been looking for a cheap Mac, too, to replace a beast PC. Some of us would LOVE to be able to just buy the nice shiny new iMac, but that just isn't an option.
hehe

Yeah, I am a data center engineer but, with the wife not currently working, I don't have the option of buying new right now either. I make enough to pay the bills, buy what we need, and stick some in savings but, no means to go buy whatever.

So I depend on side jobs to pay for our (Yes, I share my extra money with the family.) "extra" purchases.

I'm hungry, it's lunch time!
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
Broke, yeah, I could spend it on necessary items needed. Like food, gas, bills and everything else that is needed... Ohh wait, that's all paid for already... this is extra spending money that I get on side jobs. I'll never purchase something I "don't need" over the well being of my family.

When I stated "broke" it's in reference to the extra spending money I have monthly. If you'd like, I'll update the OP to reflect that.
That clarifies things enough as far as I am concerned.

If you have spent any time on this forum you have probably noticed that there are people here who do spend money they don't have on their Apple toys. When you wrote that you were "broke" I took it literally since you didn't qualify the statement in your original post.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:50 PM   #23
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
That clarifies things enough as far as I am concerned.

If you have spent any time on this forum you have probably noticed that there are people here who do spend money they don't have on their Apple toys. When you wrote that you were "broke" I took it literally since you didn't qualify the statement in your original post.
Understood and I'm glad we settled that.

Now to save up more to get the 256G SSD and the 8G ram for it. :P
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Hey, I'm 58 and been around the block a few times... I'm sometimes compelled to share a little hard-earned financial wisdom on this forum. Occasionally I am even thanked for doing it!
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:32 PM   #25
mwhities
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
Hey, I'm 58 and been around the block a few times... I'm sometimes compelled to share a little hard-earned financial wisdom on this forum. Occasionally I am even thanked for doing it!
Haha. I appreciate it.
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally pulled the trigger... New 27" iMac superspud iMac 2 Dec 8, 2013 05:47 PM
Pulled the trigger on Mini 1st gen kf9vh iPad 15 Dec 2, 2013 11:37 AM
Pulled the Trigger - now need software/memory advice Bemidjiboy Mac Applications and Mac App Store 10 Mar 21, 2013 01:41 PM
[Trigger Pulled] I Got an A1085 TheUI PowerPC Macs 20 Jul 23, 2012 03:05 AM
Just Pulled The Trigger on Last-Gen 15" bloodymatzaball MacBook Pro 6 Jun 12, 2012 10:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC