Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:16 PM   #251
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman64 View Post
Apple fanboyism is out in full force on this thread.
This is a mac forum..............please go to winrumors.com
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:16 PM   #252
bobborries
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to bobborries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Google much?

How to shut down Windows 8

How to close a Windows 8 app

If it took me 20 minutes to figure this out I'd just hang it up. Seriously.
How do you get to Google?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:29 PM   #253
bobborries
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to bobborries
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-h2o View Post
The Metro UI is silly - bring back the Start Menu and it's quick and easy access to everything.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:44 PM   #254
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
I've been playing with 8 since the 26th and I have to say I really like it! The start screen apps are really nice looking and then you can just switch to desktop mode if you wish for the more traditional look. It's really almost like having 2 O.S.'s in one and I personally think it makes my Snow Leopard look a little stale.
Then get Mountain Lion and look at see how Win8 pales in comparison.

----------

Just when a bunch of people convince me to not get Win8, other people post how much they like it...

...so I'm still on track to getting it. *sigh*

Make up your minds people~!
theanimaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:50 PM   #255
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post
How do you get to Google?

oh iunno probably by pressing that button with the E with a hoop going around it, you know the one that people who don't know much about computers associate with the internet, then typing the URL google.com and pressing enter
uknowimright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:41 PM   #256
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
I think you're looking at things through rose colored glasses.

Office uses an open and standardized XML format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
[...]

Microsoft does not force you to use Microsoft Office, you're free to use OpenOffice if you choose so, but as we've seen over the years, Office trumps the competition significantly. MS Office is simply the best available office suite.
You really have no idea about corporate environments, do you? Office files are the lingua franca. Not the new formats, the OLD formats which are not open whatsoever. The XML format are only slowly gaining traction recently since companies are finally (forced to) upgrading to Office 2010. The XML converter for Office 2003 doesn't work far too often.

No one really uses other office suites, not because MS Office is so great, but because companies have to to be interoperable. Everyone demands DOC, XLS and PPT. You can't afford to send anyone some half-working Office document created in Open Office, nor can you afford to be unable to read documents you receive from other parties.

Quote:
Apple on the other hand locks users to Apple hardware. Why isn't OSX installable on a regular Windows PC without hacking it? Why does Apple require a Lighting cable to connect to the new iPhone? Why is iTunes even required to manage the iPhone?
You're contradicting yourself within the same sentence. What have Mac OS and iTunes got to do with hardware lock-in? Nothing at all, they are software.
The best example you could come up with was the lightning cable. Oh dear, a cable, what a terrible lock-in.

Also you're wrong. You can happily use i-Devices without iTunes.

Quote:
Apple makes good hardware and software, but for it to work well, you really have to stick to the Apple eco-system - the ultimate case of vendor lock-in.
This is getting ludicrous, you're making things up.
Which other Apple device do you need to use an iPhone or an iPad to its fullest? Or a Mac?
Speedy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:51 PM   #257
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
Do you say that as someone who's never used it before? Because the desktop is still right there, just as good as it was in Windows 7.
I have both, and no it's not just as good as in Windows 7. It looks like utter crap and you need 3rd party software just to get it to be as functional (start menu)

I love Windows 8 on my HTPC and hate it on my workstation, which is why my workstation still has 7.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:54 PM   #258
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Microsoft only released the figures for online Windows 8 Upgrades which happened in a specific way (i.e. through the Microsoft Store).

Based on those alone it outsold Windows 7 in the equivalent period.
Yawn. The only reason this happens for EVERY new Windows version is because there are more computers and more users around than two or three years ago. If you look at upgrades per installed user base, which would measure "success" and adoption much better, things look different.

Also, they are specifically picking online sales because that will OF COURSE make older versions look worse, since people are using online shops much more often these days.

Also, googling and looking for some background information will get you to this:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ows_8_upgrades

I quote:
"While Ballmer trumpeted the 4 million upgrade figure -- which would be mostly downloads, as retail sales data would be difficult to collect so quickly -- there's no way to compare the number with earlier Windows' roll-outs.
In late 2009, after Microsoft rolled out Windows 7, the company was cagey about sales for months, and never publicly revealed upgrade numbers.
[..]
At the end of this month, usage statistics from the likes of Net Applications should show an increase in Windows 8's share, but unless it surges dramatically, it will remain below the bar set by Windows 7 in late 2009. Before launch, Windows 8 adoption -- via a series of previews and the availability of an RTM, or "release to manufacturing" build -- was five times smaller than Windows 7 during the same period prior to its launch."

FAIL.
Speedy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:02 PM   #259
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

Fifteen dollar upgrades did not hurt either, I picked it up (for later use after trying it) because it was cheap.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:29 PM   #260
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2 View Post
No one really uses other office suites, not because MS Office is so great, but because companies have to to be interoperable.
Actually there was a time when WordPerfect ruled and Lotus Smartsuite was popular, but both have faded into oblivion since Office 95...

Corporations standardized on Microsoft Office because it is the best office suite ... not because they were forced to use it. Microsoft can't force you these days to use a particular product when there are other (cheaper/free) office suites available.

Quote:
You're contradicting yourself within the same sentence. What have Mac OS and iTunes got to do with hardware lock-in? Nothing at all, they are software.
Can you run OSX on non-Apple hardware? Can you manage an iPhone without iTunes? That is hardware/software lock in...

Quote:
Also you're wrong. You can happily use i-Devices without iTunes.
Please enlighten me with a supported method.

Quote:
This is getting ludicrous, you're making things up.
Which other Apple device do you need to use an iPhone or an iPad to its fullest? Or a Mac?

In anycase, I'm not anti-Apple by any means, I have iPhone, iPods, iPads, Apple TVs, iMac, Air, etc... but I also don't deny that Apple's eco-system is quite restrictive as compared to some other platforms.

From Steve's Job's biography:

Quote:
Jobs always wanted Apple to create its own unified utopia, a magical walled garden where hardware and software and peripheral devices worked well together to create a great experience, and where the success of one product drove sales of all the companions.
Page 451.

Last edited by coolspot18; Nov 21, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:03 PM   #261
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
Now she's looking for a job too? Microsoft, tough crowd...

()
I'm a journalist... interviewing people is one of the things I do all the time.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:24 PM   #262
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyville7989 View Post
Will there be any opportunity to view the interview?
I didn't ask her any tech questions, just stuff relating to the fact that she graduated from Western Washington University. I write for the school's newspaper. Writing out the transcript right now... I could send you a link when it's posted online if you'd like.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:30 PM   #263
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502

Probably because someone's head has to roll after the most atrocious releases in computer history. Windows 8 is an unmitigated disaster. But nothing takes the cake for the worst gadget in a long while than the surface. It is a very bad netbook, and an even worse tablet. Complete misunderstanding of the tablet. And Windows phone I'm sure will grab about as much market share as the surface. A few million maybe. I can't even imagine Internet Explorer on a low powered device. The average person has a lot more patience and tolerance for crap than I do.
philosopherdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:18 PM   #264
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusianSky View Post
It is easier. The old start menu is the most inefficient way to launch apps, unless you pinned the apps to the main menu of Start, which is what I've always done. Who wants to wait for "All Programs" to open and then scroll through a list of folders, that you have to also open, just to launch an app. It's pointless. In addition, you can always place shortcuts on the desktop or pin to task bar, just like it has been forever. Yes, the Desktop still exists in Windows 8 for those that heard differently.

As for accessing the new start window, hit the Windows key on the keyboard. It works the same way it has since XP. No need to move the mouse to the corner pop ups.
Good point I forgot to go into ... the tile screen is indeed a far better organisation than the start menu of old, and I've no idea why people keep clamouring for its return. With people reluctant to even move from XP to 7, I think I'm going to recommend getting used to windows key combos, which will make the (if uni ever would) eventual transfer to 8 even easier.

But yeah, can't get enough of the "unmitigated disaster" that is Windows 8; personally I'm enjoying using it even more than I did Vista, which is really saying something, as that was a fantastic OS IMO.

But, I guess not everyone agrees with me, and they're choosing to listen to the others ... rolling heads seems such an odd reaction.
MartiNZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:22 PM   #265
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

The only odd thing about the old start menus was the pined list and then the other list, that was always odd. The new Windows 8 start menu does not allow one to pin enough of what they want to it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:18 AM   #266
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
The only odd thing about the old start menus was the pined list and then the other list, that was always odd. The new Windows 8 start menu does not allow one to pin enough of what they want to it.
Wuh? What are you having trouble pinning? The only thing I haven't been able to pin to the start screen are steam shortcuts. Everything else works fine.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:27 AM   #267
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
Then get Mountain Lion and look at see how Win8 pales in comparison.
Not really, have both.

What is so superior in OSX 10.8?
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:50 AM   #268
EmpireITtech
macrumors member

Quote:

Can you run OSX on non-Apple hardware? Can you manage an iPhone without iTunes? That is hardware/software lock in...
I agree with you for the most part, however, you can run OSX on non-Apple certified (bc Apple doesn't make most, if any, of their parts) hardware. I'm doing it right now, it's called a Hackintosh
EmpireITtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:16 AM   #269
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzakus View Post
You reckon they clipped him?
Every fiasco needs a fall guy. Jobs was even ousted from his own company once. Forstall is very talented. Telling someone to make detailed vector maps of the world is quite a challenge, despite all the talent, company acquisitions and mapping data licenses available.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:16 PM   #270
joneill55
macrumors 6502

SJ was correct when he said that "Microsoft pretty much was irrelevant." Couldn't agree more.

In my 100 person company, we are adding Macs/Ipads/iPhones every month. We initially meet resistance with the IT department for early adopter with iPhones 1. My simple solution was to replace the PC-weenie mentality that thrives in IT. With right people/leadership in place, It's been smooth sailing all the way. Plus, my IT administration cost have been reduced significantly. Much easier support.

I'm down to < 10 Windows DT and they are mostly in Accounting. MS was in pitching Server &Widows 8/ tablets earlier this year. We took a big pass for a lot of reasons and haven't looked back since!

YMMV.
joneill55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:25 PM   #271
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiefan89 View Post
I'm a journalist... interviewing people is one of the things I do all the time.
I know, I was just injecting some silliness into the thread.

Still, good luck with that interview. That's either great luck or inspired timing!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:13 PM   #272
robanga
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k995 View Post
Not really, have both.

What is so superior in OSX 10.8?
I have both and i really want to like Windows 8 but wow .... Setting are scattered all over the place for instance. System settings, personalization settings, application settings. Setting up a new account in mail? Can't do that from the mail app, have to go to accounts under system settings...

Working with a mouse and trackpad, you see more strangeness in pulling up the left and right widgets and running apps.

Maybe SP1 will solve some of that.

Mountain Lion is far better IMO.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #273
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by robanga View Post
Setting up a new account in mail? Can't do that from the mail app, have to go to accounts under system settings...
false, in the Mail app bring up the Charms and select Settings (or use Windows key + I) and Accounts is right there
uknowimright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:31 PM   #274
robanga
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowimright View Post
false, in the Mail app bring up the Charms and select Settings (or use Windows key + I) and Accounts is right there
Thanks for the correction. You are right.

I stand by opinion that that much has the feeling of been haphazardly scattered around the OS and the strange operation with a mouse. Maybe its different on a touch enabled device. Also what runs as a metro app and what had to go over to the desktop is kind of strange. Java such as a chat room? that has to be in desktop. Oh and BTW that Java loads but does not work correctly.

It is early though and the tile UI on the start screen is kind of nice.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:48 PM   #275
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Wuh? What are you having trouble pinning? The only thing I haven't been able to pin to the start screen are steam shortcuts. Everything else works fine.
Shortcuts to anything including websites not related to IE. If they are going to put this start street there then I need to be able to toss anything on it. I still work faster just using the pinned taskbar programs etc..

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion