Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miralize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Ireland
I stupidly dropped my black iPhone 5 when the earphone wire got tangled in a cord, just wondering what my options are to get it fixed/replaced? The chip is on the right side towards the front of the phone. Can I get it fixed by Apple, or do I have to request a replacement at full cost?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I stupidly dropped my black iPhone 5 when the earphone wire got tangled in a cord, just wondering what my options are to get it fixed/replaced? The chip is on the right side towards the front of the phone. Can I get it fixed by Apple, or do I have to request a replacement at full cost?

Why you would want to replace your phone just because it has a chip is beyong me however, I will answer your question. If you have AppleCare+ just pay $49 and get a new/refurbished one. If you don't pay $229 and get a new/refurbished one. Or the option I would go with, just live with the chip and save the money for when something really bad happens.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010

It's just a chip. Live with it :rolleyes:

miralize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Ireland
3 reasons why I think its best to replace it.

1. Its actually a pretty deep and without a cover it's pretty rough to hold the phone

2. The resale value of something is prominent goes way down

3. It sticks out like a sore thumb after 6 weeks of using a damage free phone

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
3 reasons why I think its best to replace it.

1. Its actually a pretty deep and without a cover it's pretty rough to hold the phone

2. The resale value of something is prominent goes way down

3. It sticks out like a sore thumb after 6 weeks of using a damage free phone

Which is why you should just keep it and wait until you really need to replace it. You aren't planning on selling it before the iphone 5s comes out anyway. Just put a cover on it and move on. If you are that OCD about just replace it but it seems like you are leaning that way anway so just pay the $49 with applecare+ or $229 without it and move on.

miralize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Ireland
Which is why you should just keep it and wait until you really need to replace it. You aren't planning on selling it before the iphone 5s comes out anyway. Just put a cover on it and move on. If you are that OCD about just replace it but it seems like you are leaning that way anway so just pay the $49 with applecare+ or $229 without it and move on.

do i need applecare if its 90 days from sale, or is that just for premium phone support?

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
So lets say you pay for a replacement or whatever, and then drop it again.

As long as glass isn't shattered, just live with it.

priestylfc

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Just noticed a pretty big chip on mine too, only had it less than week, definitely not dropped it and there are no scratches on the phone just a pretty big chip :(

Going to hit the Apple store at lunch to see what they say.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Get a case. Theres some nice cases out there. Findinf an attractive and functional case will solve your problem. Out of sight ....out of mind!

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
So you dropped your phone and chipped it now you want apple to replace your phone for something you are at fault for?

miralize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Ireland
So you dropped your phone and chipped it now you want apple to replace your phone for something you are at fault for?

I never said I want apple to replace it. I asked what my options were, including me to get it replaced out of pocket..

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
You can purchase AppleCare+ up to 30 days from date of purchase. However, unless you buy AppleCare+ with a new phone, you have to take the phone to an Apple Store with proof of purchase in order to enable them to check the phone is still in pristine condition.

If the OP doesn't already have AppleCare+ he wont be eligible for a new replacement.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Ask yourself what you're going to do the next dozen times you chip your phone.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
There's no way your damaged phone will go down $200 in value if you don't replace it. I'd keep it... And cover it... You might drop it again.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Applecare+ is not available outside the US.

Easiest option is a case.

Yes it is.

0mtim.jpg
is probably the kind of damage that he has. Not worth replacing it over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.