Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:21 PM   #26
toby00001
macrumors newbie

This is literally the worst looking thing ever. Anyone who decides to wrap their iPhone (or anything for that matter) in a faux book cover deserves to be shot on sight.
toby00001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:25 PM   #27
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby00001 View Post
This is literally the worst looking thing ever. Anyone who decides to wrap their iPhone (or anything for that matter) in a faux book cover deserves to be shot on sight.
I'm waiting outside for you and your gun.

On the other hand, I don't see you producing anything better for me to buy, so I really don't think you're in a place to judge.

BL.
bradl is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:30 PM   #28
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby00001 View Post
Oh shut up, its not my cup of tea but EACH TO THEIR OWN. Oh the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things eh?
adztaylor is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:39 PM   #29
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

The most impractical case I've seen
Aluminum213 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:44 PM   #30
jbrettz
macrumors member

Has anyone checked out the Portenzo.com site. They have similar with more choices on the outside cover, but not the wallet.

Brett
jbrettz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:50 PM   #31
scionfriar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
The most impractical case I've seen
Wrong.
scionfriar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:50 PM   #32
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Thumb resize.

Actual image from their site. Talking on the phone with all your bank cards and cash sticking out? No thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:01 PM   #33
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
God i hate iPhone cases. I think it's hard to argue the phone looks better without them 100% of the time. I understand why some people need them, but they're very aesthetically unappealing. My iPhone is a working device, i don't care if it gets a few scratches here and there. It's not a museum piece!
Exactly. By the time they get scratched up, you're buying a new one anyways. Haven't had a case on any of my phones since the late '90s.

Apple puts a lot of work into making the iPhone look good. Cases ruin all that.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:02 PM   #34
acrobat9
macrumors newbie

yes... people love it and do use it

i never post on these things, but this is a product i genuinely believe in.

1. it's SUPER practical. i always forget either my phone or my wallet. when i had the BookBook, i always had both with me.

2. someone was asking about target demo... everyone i know that has these are guys between the ages of 18-35 (and i know a lot of people that have and love them).

3. 12South has fantastic customer service! last year, one of the seams on the inside of my BookBook started to come undone. i let them know and they sent me a new one ASAP.

3. if it's not your thing, that's fine! but why be a hater?
acrobat9 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:09 PM   #35
DrJohnnyN
macrumors 6502a

Neato.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:14 PM   #36
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
Thumb resize.

Actual image from their site. Talking on the phone with all your bank cards and cash sticking out? No thanks.
I'll admit; bad picture and scenario to use the phone. In all practicality, bluetooth is used the most with this case or any wallet case.. unless you're wanting to pull the phone out each and every time it rings, you're not going to be holding the entire thing up to your ear.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:32 PM   #37
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
So you're arguing you hate covers because they're not aesthetically appealing, yet you don't care about getting scratches on your phone because you don't care about your phone being aesthetically appealing.
What's the point of keeping your phone scratch free if it's covered by a case anyway? You can't see it! A few scratches on a beautiful phone is much more aesthetically pleasing than a big ugly case ruining the whole look of the phone.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:41 PM   #38
scionfriar
macrumors newbie

I hate cases as much as the next guy. I've been using my iPhone 5 naked since I got it. For me, that's part of the joy of the BookBook. It is so easy to remove the phone from the BookBook that I take it out everyday when I get home. Why walk around my house with my wallet in my pocket?

But the convenience, of grabbing ONE item in the morning, a BookBook which has both my phone and my wallet, is so great. If I have to leave the office for a bit, just grab my BookBook and I'm ready to go. For me, the BookBook rendered the case vs. non-case argument moot.
scionfriar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:10 PM   #39
boomer0001
macrumors newbie

I have a few 12south products, always great quality pieces. They don't skimp on the materials or details. I've been waiting for this case because it's the only one to ever really appeal to me. Can't wait to order it!
boomer0001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:18 PM   #40
skellener
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlblodgett View Post
Do the new models have a hole for the camera / flash?
I was wondering that too. The knock off cases thought to make an opening for the camera.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:30 PM   #41
urbanj
macrumors regular

As Jay-Z would say "can't wear skinny jeans cause my iPhone with a massive case don't fit"

Seriously, I use a slim wallet with a money clip on it and my iPhone. If I was a woman with a purse, sure this would be good but even girls I know slide their phones into their back pockets and put a wallet in a clutch when they go out.

I'll never understand bulky all in one cases.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:05 PM   #42
iTiki
macrumors 6502

I have no interest in the iPhone case. Having to slide the phone out to use the camera and your ID and credit cards being exposed while using the phone seems dumb to me. I do like some of the other products they offer. Quality appears to be good and the styling of their products is a nice match to Apple. Just my $.02....
iTiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:39 PM   #43
charliex5
macrumors regular

I recommend the Tuch iPhone cases. I've had one for about a year now and love it. I've gotten rid of my wallet and I still get to hold the steel and glass of the iPhone. I've been thinking about one of their iPad cases too but they seem to be currently sold out.

Check it out: http://www.tuchmade.com/

So much better than these BookBooks. My friend had one so we got to compare and I was definitely glad I went with the Tuch. Simplicity is key!
charliex5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:42 PM   #44
jjd
macrumors regular

Like the idea of the wallet - but not the faux book

I have been looking for a wallet case that I could live with - have not yet found it. But given the ubiquity of both (and prior to any real progress on NFC obviating the need for a wallet) I totally get the idea of combining the phone and wallet.

But, what I cannot fathom is taking something as modern and beautiful as an iPhone, one of the finest products ever made (really) and wrapping it in a faux antiquted book cover. Talk about mixing aesthetics. I am sure Jony Ive is appaled by this.

Then again, Mr Forstall et al have forced us to live with similarly garish features in iOS itself - like that hideous game center, and those tacky leather notepad themes etc. But that will soon be fixed...

If these guys offered a wallet with the same dimensions and capabilities but in a simple, understated and current style, that wasn't pretending to be something it's not, I would order it.
jjd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:38 PM   #45
kilcher
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
What's the point of keeping your phone scratch free if it's covered by a case anyway? You can't see it! A few scratches on a beautiful phone is much more aesthetically pleasing than a big ugly case ruining the whole look of the phone.
Resale value. Not breaking a phone that costs $800 to replace. Good enough for me.
kilcher is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:47 PM   #46
OneMike
macrumors 68040

That case is so ugly to me.
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:55 PM   #47
Jmc323x
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlblodgett View Post
Do the new models have a hole for the camera / flash?
Yes it does!

https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1720697/1400299/?v=a
Jmc323x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:02 PM   #48
slu
macrumors 68000

Give me mobile payments and I won't need a wallet at all.
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:46 PM   #49
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

This looks DELICIOUS. Gonna order one each for my iPhone 5 and iPad
BornAgainApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:34 PM   #50
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
Got to laugh at the young attractive model on the web site. I'm sure she would be keen to be seen with one of these in public.
Yes, god knows people go about their lives worried about what the likes of you think of them...
Kaibelf is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion