Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
If Google includes turn-by-turn in their app now, why didn't they just do it before? Wasn't Google's refusal to include this feature, part of the reason Apple dropped their maps app in the first place? :confused:

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Getting Better

Apple's maps are getting better. Areas that were just blurry on satellite view are now on a par with google's offerings in the UK. I've never had a problem with the standard map view, that has always been accurate for where I've been.

I'm just hoping the missing location problems I've been reporting get added soon.

Soks

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Planet-Earth...ish.
It would really be silly of Apple to reject a Google map app.

I'm sure there are some out there who are willing to skip buying the iPhone 5 because of the terrible native app, and perhaps if a Google app is available they wouldn't think twice about it and just get an iPhone anyway.

...and it's not like Apple is charging for their app anyway - it's bundled along with iOS.

Someone I know argued "But Google Maps sells Android phones", and yes - that may very well be, but all the people who will buy the app for iOS is going to put a penny or two into Google's pockets, so that's a good way to grab some of the money they don't get on the sales of the Android phones.

Let's see what happens. :)

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I hope it won't be as badly broken as the old Google Maps or the current Apple Maps.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Too bad it wont integrate fully with iOS anymore

True. However, if it comes with free turn-by-turn navigation, that will be a feature Google never provided before. Maybe it will work out for the best in the end. We'll have Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Nokia Maps, all with turn-by-turn, at no additional cost.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
one more reason why i think apple should finally enable the option to set a different app as the default one or at least an "open with" option

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
The first thing apple consider is money, money, money, not its clients any more!
But don't forget, all the money you make comes from your client!

you can reject an app because it is bad enough, but how dare you reject an app because it is too good?
coward!!!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
True. However, if it comes with free turn-by-turn navigation, that will be a feature Google never provided before. Maybe it will work out for the best in the end. We'll have Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Nokia Maps, all with turn-by-turn, at no additional cost.

No, it won't. Turn by turn is a useless feature for many of us compared to integration.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
Am I the only one who hasn't had major issues with the new Maps app? Everything I've needed to find has been where it's supposed to be.

CDNM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Obviously the reason google didn't include turn by turn navigation on its previous app is to give its android OS an advantage over apples. Now that apple is offering it with their maps app, google is forced to offer it as well if they expect people to download their app now!

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I'm wondering if Apple has been improving their maps progressively, or if they've been stockpiling all these improvement so that they could push them out in one big update.

I'm wondering this because I haven't seen any improvements at all. 2 weeks after iOS 6 was released, there was a noticeable update, where I suddenly saw more POIs, better information, and some improved imagery. Since then, absolutely nothing has changed for me. In other words, I saw improvement after 2 weekss, but in the 6 weeks since then, absolutely nothing.

If Apple has been improving things throughout those 6 weeks, then I'm worried, as things have been going at a snail's pace and I haven't actually noticed any tangible improvements. That's why I'm hoping that this has merely been a case of Apple holding things back so that the work it has done over the past 6 weeks (and the next few weeks) will all come out together in one significant back end update.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Ooh- I enjoy the drama. This report comes just on the heels of the Nokia map app announcement. It sounds like a race between google and Nokia. If Nokia gets their app in quick enough, and it is a good enough app, people (myself included) might stick with it rather than google or apple.

The competition should be good for us all!

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Mapple Traffic

It's not that I hate everything about the Apple Maps, I just can't stand the way it displays traffic. Google has green for clear, yellow for slow and red for dead stop, and nothing for 'no data'. Apple just has red dots for either slow or dead stop, and does not show 'clear'. This makes it difficult to determine the conditions, as there are a lot of times when there is no data, and a huge difference between 'yellow' and 'red'. Does anyone know a map app that uses Google maps style traffic reporting?

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
If Google progresses on their traffic update system for their Maps App, I see that being the biggest mod they can do for the consumer. Google has all this great data now on traffic results throughout the entire world...

They need to harness the traffic results and give us a better interface for traffic reports or heads-up signals for oncoming traffic. Next would be to alert for EZ-Pass/tolls & Gas Stop/Service Stations on major highways... this could/can be done, it can.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Wonder if Google skimps out again... wouldn't be surprised, Android's Maps is the best GPS app on a mobile platform to date.
Have you used Navigon? Yes it's expensive but I would not say google is better on android.
If Google includes turn-by-turn in their app now, why didn't they just do it before? Wasn't Google's refusal to include this feature, part of the reason Apple dropped their maps app in the first place? :confused:
I believe it was a advertising/data mining issue... Apple would not allow google to do certain things or have access to certain data so they didn't allow it - It is something along those lines, it was mentioned when the whole Apple maps debacle went down.
No, it won't. Turn by turn is a useless feature for many of us compared to integration.
Perhaps but iOS could fix this by letting us set WHICH app is treated as integrated - sort of like setting the default 'open with' on a desktop. I find it odd that it can't be done with browsers and such on iOS, what if I prefer the Atomic browser? I should be able to tell iOS that Atomic is my default browser so open it (instead of Safari) anytime a brower is launched/required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.