Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:24 PM   #251
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Not only that, but who are these doctors whom are making tons of money a year treating? I've only ever seen overwhelmed and overworked doctors and nursing staff when I've gone to hospitals or ERs. Then again, I never have gone to any of the elite hospitals
Well, there are several questions here:

First, do people trained in medicine flock to the US? And, has this changed? Do they come to the US because of payments? Are there other reasons (education, stability, R&D, etc.?)? What's the cap payment compared to averages around the world? Can a doctor really make more somewhere else? Where?

Is there a difference between ERs, specialty clinics, etc?

Has any other country attempted payments caps? What was the effect?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:33 PM   #252
Peace
macrumors P6

Here's what papa johns competition thinks :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...usaolp00000003

"I’d tell Papa John's' CEO, ‘Welcome to the club,’” Martin said. “We’ve battled the whole way giving health insurance to employees ever since we could afford to do it 9 years ago, as a two-year-old business.”
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:47 PM   #253
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Haven't you noticed a lack of credibility from our nation's CEOs? Steve Jobs said Apple wouldn't make a 7-inch iPad, Robert Murray blames Obama for 145 layoff when they're actually attributable to shift in the market because of natural gas fracking, David Siegel rescinded his threat to fire workers and instead gave everyone raises.

So, yeah, when a CEO says the PPACA will hurt his business, I have to wonder how accurate that information is and whether or not he isn't using that claim to cover internal problems with the company.
Technically Apple still hasn't made a 7" iPad. Also, and I may be wrong on this, but I don't believe he ever said Apple would never make a 7" tablet. He just said, at the point he was asked, that 7" tablets were DOA. Obviously....he was wrong. Doesn't necessarily make him a liar.

But that is neither here or there. Just because CEO A "lies" about something does not automatically make CEO B a liar by proxy.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:53 PM   #254
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

"I’d tell Papa John's' CEO, ‘Welcome to the club,’” Martin said. “We’ve battled the whole way giving health insurance to employees ever since we could afford to do it 9 years ago, as a two-year-old business.”
America needs more businessmen like this guy and more businesses run with morals. We have too many of these big greedy corporations who put profits over everything.

He realizes you can run a successful, profitable business without cutting corners and bending over your employees to make every last buck. They treat their staff right, and in turn, the staff probably cares more about their jobs and therefore the company sees a higher quality product being produced. At least we have some business people who aren't complete greedy morons.
zioxide is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:02 PM   #255
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

If I lived within a reasonable distance, I'd try their pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Technically Apple still hasn't made a 7" iPad. Also, and I may be wrong on this, but I don't believe he ever said Apple would never make a 7" tablet. He just said, at the point he was asked, that 7" tablets were DOA. Obviously....he was wrong. Doesn't necessarily make him a liar.

But that is neither here or there. Just because CEO A "lies" about something does not automatically make CEO B a liar by proxy.
He said a lot of things. I don't interpret CEOs as anything but salesmen. A lot of these things are opportunistic. They can praise or blame external factors regardless of whether they really influenced actual decisions. Even if they did, we need a better sample of the net effect than single anecdotes. These examples are often for emotional appeal as statistics don't really deliver that in the same way. People feel more connected to an actual story, and many of them are apprehensive of charts, graphs, and spreadsheets.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:49 PM   #256
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
We're talking about two different realities.

The franchisee was stating that net profits in several of his current locations is currently <$175k. This is a pre-ACA number. Factor in the costs once all of the changes in the ACA are in effect and the net profit number changes.
I did a little [2 minute] investigation and found the following. Could you or any other savvy businessman comment on this? To my unqualified ears it sounds as if it refutes the stances by Papa John's and Dennys CEO ...

Quote:
What You Need to Know about the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

How will the credit make a difference for you?

For tax years 2010 through 2013, the maximum credit is 35 percent for small business employers and 25 percent for small tax-exempt employers such as charities. An enhanced version of the credit will be effective beginning Jan. 1, 2014. Additional information about the enhanced version will be added to IRS.gov as it becomes available. In general, on Jan. 1, 2014, the rate will increase to 50 percent and 35 percent, respectively.

Here’s what this means for you. If you pay $50,000 a year toward workers’ health care premiums – and if you qualify for a 15 percent credit, you save … $7,500. If you save $7,500 a year from tax year 2010 through 2013, that’s total savings of $30,000. If, in 2014, you qualify for a slightly larger credit, say 20 percent, your savings go from $7,500 a year to $12,000 a year.

Even if you are a small business employer who did not owe tax during the year, you can carry the credit back or forward to other tax years. Also, since the amount of the health insurance premium payments are more than the total credit, eligible small businesses can still claim a business expense deduction for the premiums in excess of the credit. That’s both a credit and a deduction for employee premium payments.

There is good news for small tax-exempt employers too. The credit is refundable, so even if you have no taxable income, you may be eligible to receive the credit as a refund so long as it does not exceed your income tax withholding and Medicare tax liability.

And finally, if you can benefit from the credit this year but forgot to claim it on your tax return there’s still time to file an amended return.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Small-Business-Health-Care-Tax-Credit-for-Small-Employers
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:03 PM   #257
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
How nice of him to put the onus of this on his wait staff.
Actually, he is turning them into political pawns.

Quote:
The man sounds like a royal douchebag.
Not nice to speak so unkindly of Teh Royals.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:26 PM   #258
IBradMac
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Other expense(s) you may not be aware of is disability and workers compensation. We pay $35,000 a year into these programs. That's one, maybe 2 jobs wiped.

The way some of you talk down on businesses is sickening. Owning and operating a business is hard work. If you guys had an ounce of nut, you'd get out there and try it. Instead of complaining about how all businesses horde money and never reinvest, and never hire. Make a difference. Change the American business model.

But remember when you do it, you are going to need to be 'fair' any money you make/earn needs to be reinvested, hire more people, and most importantly don't forget to pay double in taxes.

Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance ... I am not in any way a business person or versed in accounting. So I may need some remedial business education here.

But aren't employee healthcare costs counted as an expense? These costs don't come out of net profit. Costs may influence net profit, but don't come out of it.

Are healthcare costs tax deductible for the employer? I know that some expenses are.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:43 PM   #259
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
Other expense(s) you may not be aware of is disability and workers compensation. We pay $35,000 a year into these programs. That's one, maybe 2 jobs wiped.

The way some of you talk down on businesses is sickening. Owning and operating a business is hard work. If you guys had an ounce of nut, you'd get out there and try it. Instead of complaining about how all businesses horde money and never reinvest, and never hire. Make a difference. Change the American business model.

But remember when you do it, you are going to need to be 'fair' any money you make/earn needs to be reinvested, hire more people, and most importantly don't forget to pay double in taxes.
There's a difference between "small business " and "big business".
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:55 PM   #260
IBradMac
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
There's a difference between "small business " and "big business".
I certainly won't disagree with you there. It's not 'fair' that I can't afford health insurance for my business. I'm on my wife's plan. She works for a corporation. I just can't wrap my head around people being forced to buy health insurance.

I'm here to tell you folks, I work in southeast ohio and West Virginia and those people are not going to buy health insurance and are not going to pay the penalties associated with. They will not do it.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:15 PM   #261
AlaskaMoose
macrumors 65816

Well, a lot of posters in this forum won't agree with what dime21 has said. But in reality nothing is lost by listening to the "dark side" in this forum. I agree with what he has said about Obamacare, although I blame both the Republicans and the Democrats for the state of our economy.

The way things are at the moment, for the Government to put more obstacles in the way of the private sector will result in a greater loss of jobs, with in turn will depress our economy further. While I never paid much attention to Ron Paul, most of the stuff he warned us about have become a reality, and nobody in Congress cared for what he had to say.

By the way, no member of Congress except for Ron Paul, is willing to see what's ahead in relation to our economy. The plan to increase taxes and cut spending will do nothing meaningful. The new tax revenue will only increase government budgets, and spending cuts won't be great enough to make a difference, just like it has been done in CA by the Democrats.

Last edited by AlaskaMoose; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
AlaskaMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 PM   #262
AlaskaMoose
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Well, there are several questions here:

First, do people trained in medicine flock to the US? And, has this changed? Do they come to the US because of payments? Are there other reasons (education, stability, R&D, etc.?)? What's the cap payment compared to averages around the world? Can a doctor really make more somewhere else? Where?

Is there a difference between ERs, specialty clinics, etc?

Has any other country attempted payments caps? What was the effect?
A couple of years ago I was reading a medical news report from Canada where it was said that a great number of Canadian doctors were living Canada to work in the US after completing their education in Canada. According to the report, they were living because there was more money to be made in the US than in Canada. Nowadays it may be a completely different story, however.

This was back in 2007:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...d-dae67df07bec
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:01 AM   #263
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The way some of you talk down on businesses is sickening.
Please take a moment and point out an example that sickens you.

I'd sure like to know where that line is drawn.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:19 AM   #264
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I think the most relevant part there is, "A lot of what drives statements like those of Papa John’s CEO are politics, not economics". For a company their size, the cost of making a pizza is nothing. From what I've learned about pizza from others, the biggest expense is usually the box. The cost of oil will affect PJ's more than the law.

With that said, I know quite a few small business owners that are concerned about the mandate, especially with current economic times. We'll have to wait and see how the law works 6, 12, 18, or more months down the road. There's the possibility the law could improve the economic scene due to healthier workers losing less time and having greater productivity. There's simply no way to know the impact until we've done it.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:02 AM   #265
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
I think the most relevant part there is, "A lot of what drives statements like those of Papa John’s CEO are politics, not economics". For a company their size, the cost of making a pizza is nothing. From what I've learned about pizza from others, the biggest expense is usually the box. The cost of oil will affect PJ's more than the law.
The irony is that no one bats an eyelash when a company imposes a "fuel surcharge" to defray one rising cost, but somehow adding a 5% "Obamacare surcharge" causes all manner of indignation.

What's really insane is that they impose a delivery charge on top of whatever tip the driver receives.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:27 AM   #266
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I certainly won't disagree with you there. It's not 'fair' that I can't afford health insurance for my business. I'm on my wife's plan. She works for a corporation. I just can't wrap my head around people being forced to buy health insurance.

I'm here to tell you folks, I work in southeast ohio and West Virginia and those people are not going to buy health insurance and are not going to pay the penalties associated with. They will not do it.
Are you saying small businesses are not going to buy insurance for their employees, or, that employees are not going to buy it, or, that no one at all in that region buys health insurance? The way you stated it is kind of ambiguous. So, I'm wondering how medical care gets paid for in the end. I mean, in that region, if you need a bypass operation, do you just write a check for the bill? Does everyone pay for everything out of pocket?

I just can't wrap my head around employers expecting the public to pick up the bill for their near-minimum wage employees, and then, turning around and complaining about taxes. See, that is the problem-- somebody is paying for medical care for poor people already. What is your proposed solution?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:59 AM   #267
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I didn't say liar, rather I'm just pointing out that CEOs tend to say things in the best interests of their respective companies regardless of the truth. Steve Jobs being savvy and secretive, kept the future iPad design close to his vest while criticizing the form factor 7-inch tablets (yes, I know "technically" it's not 7-inches [cue she said joke]).

Quote:
...But that is neither here or there. Just because CEO A "lies" about something does not automatically make CEO B a liar by proxy.
Sure, but CEOs are salesmen and politicians, so I don't think they have much credibility on something like the business consequences of the PPACA.

Quote:

This is a weird critique. We can't say the pizza sucks unless we've been a chef? We can't critique a movie unless we've been a director? Come'on, if modern American corporations are part of the problem, we should be able to say so. Many American corporations are making record profits, yet they're not hiring. Many corporations have large cash-hordes and their stock has been climbing for years, but they're not expanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMoose View Post
A couple of years ago I was reading a medical news report from Canada where it was said that a great number of Canadian doctors were living Canada to work in the US after completing their education in Canada. According to the report, they were living because there was more money to be made in the US than in Canada. Nowadays it may be a completely different story, however.

This was back in 2007:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...d-dae67df07bec
Sure, but keep in mind that the U.S. and Canada are in a unique situation that may not be reflected with other countries. Keep in mind, though payments may be capped, they're still higher than most countries, so we won't necessarily see a massive drain on the number of available doctors because of PPACA.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:17 AM   #268
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Jobs actually said "... we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps." but that's not really here nor there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMoose View Post
The way things are at the moment, for the Government to put more obstacles in the way of the private sector will result in a greater loss of jobs, with in turn will depress our economy further. While I never paid much attention to Ron Paul, most of the stuff he warned us about have become a reality, and nobody in Congress cared for what he had to say.
On the flip side if you remove obstacles (and by obstacles I mean regulation) in the way of the private sector they will still slash jobs, move operations overseas and/or otherwise contribute to joblessness, environmental damage, etc., in America. Remember the '04 tax holiday that corporations said they need to have in order to grow and expand? Yeah, some of those same companies laid off thousands of employees after their overseas profits came back home. A government oversight committee later reviewed the '04 tax holiday said it was actually a net loss for the Feds. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:16 AM   #269
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Papa Johns franchise out its restaurants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
Yes, and it's been mentioned a dozen times in this thread. However, it usurps the emotional soundbites, so no one cares to address it.
That's because it's not the franchise locations making the comments. It is corporate complaining about what corporate will have to do. And then a bunch of people here have chimed in acting like the corporation is on the ropes and that pizza is some sort of low margin business where 15 measly additional cents will cause them to go under. That does not jive with that image of that mansion now does it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Denny's is adding an ObamaCare line item to the bill of every customer. Good for them. People need to realize that the federal government is not an all-you-can-eat buffet of free money. These crushing social programs like ObamaCare have to be funded somehow.

ObamaCare costs money, a lot more than the current system. Who is going to pay for it? They're going to pass the costs on to all of us, in the form of higher retail prices of course.

Combine that with the inflation that is already creeping in to our economy, due to Obama & Bernanke's clueless economic bunglings, and the middle class is really going to be hurting in the coming years.
One franchise of Denny's, not the whole chain. You should get your story and facts straight first. And I just love that people have no problem paying for bombs and wars, but healthcare for everyone, OH MY GOD!! THE WORLD'S ENDING! If 15 cents more for a pizza is more important to you then someone having decent access to healthcare, then I would say you have misplaced priorities.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:37 AM   #270
freeny
macrumors 68020

Three things...
First, my family health insurance will go down approximately $3000 yearly with OC

Second, I have no problem with paying an extra 15˘ on EVERY item I buy knowing it brings healthcare to people

Third, if Papa Johns is so strapped for cash, why are they giving away 2,000,000 free pizzas in their current promotion?
freeny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:27 AM   #271
Huntn
macrumors 604

I did not check to see if this CNN YouTube video was posted in the thread somewhere, but it is worth watching. It is an analysis of Papa John's CEO claim:

Last edited by balamw; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: embedded clip
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:37 AM   #272
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCamenarum View Post
The irony is that no one bats an eyelash when a company imposes a "fuel surcharge" to defray one rising cost, but somehow adding a 5% "Obamacare surcharge" causes all manner of indignation.
Well you almost got it right.

The indignation (at least on my part) doesn't come from any price increase on Papa John's part. If their costs rise and they need to increase the price of their pizza to offset those costs, I have no problem with that at all.

The indignation is not over the "Obamacare surcharge". The indignation is over the fact that these CEOs are using this to directly threaten jobs of their employees. They are committing a form of political blackmail. And as the video [below] demonstrates, they don't have the facts to back up their highly specious claims.

So while you're right that there is indignation.

You're wrong about why it's being felt.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:49 AM   #273
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Well you almost got it right.

The indignation (at least on my part) doesn't come from any price increase on Papa John's part. If their costs rise and they need to increase the price of their pizza to offset those costs, I have no problem with that at all.

The indignation is not over the "Obamacare surcharge". The indignation is over the fact that these CEOs are using this to directly threaten jobs of their employees. They are committing a form of political blackmail. And as the video [below] demonstrates, they don't have the facts to back up their highly specious claims.

So while you're right that there is indignation.

You're wrong about why it's being felt.
I've had several people on the right tell me the indignation is that the vocal Obamacare critical CEOs are passing their costs on to customers. I have no idea how they get this idea. Would someone educate me? I don't hear about them passing on costs. I hear them taking it out on their employees through work hour cuts. Am I mistaken?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:04 AM   #274
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I've had several people on the right tell me the indignation is that the vocal Obamacare critical CEOs are passing their costs on to customers. I have no idea how they get this idea.
I have no idea either.

I haven't heard anyone hear complain about adding 15 cents to the price of their pizza.

Red herring pizza is apparently the new hot flavor.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:54 AM   #275
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
I just can't wrap my head around people being forced to buy health insurance.
What?

It's pretty simple.

Health care costs money and all people use health care. If someone walks in to an ER without insurance and needs urgent medical care, what's going to happen? Is the ER doctor going to kick them out? Obviously not. They're going to treat them. Who's going to pick up the bill for this? Me and the rest of the taxpayers who are already paying for our own insurance.

So yes, everyone should be forced to have insurance. Either that, or if you don't have insurance, you should be denied medical care. People who don't have insurance are a burden to society.

Quote:
Then they can go to jail for tax evasion. I'm sick of my healthcare costs and insurance continuing to rise to pay for the millions of people who don't have insurance but still run to the nearest ER to have the taxpayers cover their hang nail.

We would save so much money by going to a true universal health care system from the government, where EVERY person was covered, but the Republicans would never agree to it because they wouldn't be able to make money off the insurance lobbyists anymore.
zioxide is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues