Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
After 3 bad iPhone 5's, I've returned it. I'm now using my 4S again. I'll wait 6 months for QC to get under control - if it ever does.. :(

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Definitely sucks. What kind of problems were you having?

I also have a perfect 5, never had to exchange or anything.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
My second one arrived perfect. After a month of use in a slip case it has half a dozen scuffs on the edge. Never gonna get away from it happening with usage. White 5S for me!!! Lesson learned.

Last edited:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
My second one arrived perfect. After a month of use in a slip case it has half a dozen scuffs on the edge. Never gonna get away from it happening with usage. White 5S for me!!! Lesson learned.

You have a link or photos on the slip case you were using?

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Definitely sucks. What kind of problems were you having?

I also have a perfect 5, never had to exchange or anything.

Glad to hear yours is perfect. Mine had various issues - scratches/scuffs on the chamfered edge, marks on the rear casing, gaps between glass and back case. I think it's a great phone, I'm just going to wait a bit longer before I try to purchase again.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Weird, I got mine at the start of November so I thought they might have gotten through the scuffgate issues. I dropped it twice from about 3 feet as it fell outta my sweats and not a single nick, scratch, or dent. Very impressed with it so far, couldn't imagine going back to the 3.5" 4S again.

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Very strange, I had my first ever iPhone as I thought the 5 was finally the one I wanted.

The first one sucked battery like the world depending on depleating it as quickly as possible. Apple swapped it for a nice new one, clean, unmarked, white 32gb and perfect.

I leave wifi, bluetooth and location services on all day, and I still get great battery life.

Loving it...!

Attachments

• IMG_0432.PNG
    IMG_0432.PNG
    105.7 KB · Views: 116

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yup:

http://www.thesnugg.com/iphone-5-ca...e-new-iphone-leather-pouch-case-in-black.aspx

It's just the paint rubbing off the chamfered edge and there's some minor markings to the matte aluminium sides and back from going in and out of it but c'est la vie. Got an upgrade due in May so I'll get a 'free' 5S rather than pay out another £530 again for a phone that is starting to look like crap after 6 weeks!

It's not caused by the case. It's defective anodizing coating if the black is rubbing off prematurely that easily. Get it swapped under warranty for one with normal anodization and you should no longer have that problem.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Sorry to hear that. I had a black on preordered and I came across a white on at radio shack and was so impatient I got that one, so I ended up with a white iphone 5. It has been functioning perfectly since day 1. If I got the black it may be more obviously scratched by now, but as far as I know that is the only major issue. I don't believe there have been many functional problems with them, unless missed something.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I got mine last week, everything seems to be perfect besides the yellowish tint on the screen.

Is it worth trying to exchange now to get a blueish screen ???

How many of you have had success finding non-yellow tint screens???

Are the new shipments coming in currently still have that ugly yellow tint ??

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Very strange, I had my first ever iPhone as I thought the 5 was finally the one I wanted.

The first one sucked battery like the world depending on depleating it as quickly as possible. Apple swapped it for a nice new one, clean, unmarked, white 32gb and perfect.

I leave wifi, bluetooth and location services on all day, and I still get great battery life.

Loving it...!

2 hours 27 minutes of usage draining 43% of the battery is not good battery life.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
In the end we can only report on our own individual experiences with the iphone 5.

Ive had mine over a month with out any issues.

I attain 1.5 days of battery life but obviously thats with my usage pattern.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Today is the last day of my return period for the iPhone 5 and its now boxed up and ready to return. I'll keep on using my iPhone 4 until the next one comes out.

Problems I experienced were:
- poor battery life - still didn't last a day while travelling for an hour to and from an 8 hour day at work (<60% after only 2 hours use)
- battery percentage would stick at 100% for a while and then drop like a stone. At the other end it would stick at 1% for a while - no point having a battery monitor if its nowhere near accurate
- nick in the bevelled edge after 2 days' use (though that wasn't too much of an issue as I put a case on it)
- simply not worth the £600 when my iPhone 4 works fine and I have other things to spend my money on
- won't be compatible with most of the UK 4G network when it launches next Spring

Don't get me wrong, I like the phone and the design but (for me) it just wasn't worth the upgrade.

My iPhone 4 has a minor crack in the glass and atrocious battery life so I did consider getting it replaced, but there's no point really. If it gives up/I break it, I'll get a used iPhone 4/4S as a temporary replacement until the next one is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.