Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You know I'd be much more inclined to take what you say sersiously if you didn't end your posts with such back handed remarks. It's sad that you can't accept another person's opinion but that's your right. Also interpolation is a new word. I'd tell you to use spell check but I'm sure I have my fair share of misspelled words.

Anyway to go ahead and get this thread back on topic. I think that if the OP can somehow show that what is on his phone is in fact a defect in coating and not just normal wear and tear he should get a replacement.

*sighs there can be a defect..that doesnt cause the device to be defunct.... you are getting those two things confused.
Obviously i used spell check.. because it auto corrected it to interpolation.. which FYI is a real word.. (but you obviously refuse to use a dictionary hence your negligence to the definition of defect )

choose to take me seriously or not.. just like you said.. its my opinion to take the definition literally or to be subjective with it to suit my own case like some people on here like to do.. . I dont have to accept your opinion.. but but by all means you can think it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

just depends on ones definition of defect i guess. His screen looks pretty good and usable. :p
I for one agree..i dont think it should be flaking like that from just 3 days of normal usage! DeeEss have you gone back to the store?!

Last edited:

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines;

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
*sighs there can be a defect..that doesnt cause the device to be defunct.... you are getting those two things confused.
Obviously i used spell check.. because it auto corrected it to interpolation.. which FYI is a real word.. (but you obviously refuse to use a dictionary hence your negligence to the definition of defect )

choose to take me seriously or not.. just like you said.. its my opinion to take the definition literally or to be subjective with it to suit my own case like some people on here like to do.. . I dont have to accept your opinion.. but but by all means you can think it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

just depends on ones definition of defect i guess. His screen looks pretty good and usable. :p
I for one agree..i dont think it should be flaking like that from just 3 days of normal usage! DeeEss have you gone back to the store?!

Yes and interpolation was obviously the word you were trying to use there seeing as you deleted it seconds afterwards. Seriously look at this guys pictures. Seriously look at them does that look like a ***** defect to you? If it was an ***** defect he could just take the thing to an Apple Store and get a new one. If he does that then I will openly admit that by the manfucaturer that was a defect. If he is refused a replacement it is obviously not a defect regardless of what you OCD people may believe. And please for the love of God don't retort by saying, "just because Apple doesn't accept it or grant an exchange it doesn't mean the phone isn't defective." Apple is required to replace or repair any phone that is defective so if it's defective it will be replaced end of story.

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Yes and interpolation was obviously the word you were trying to use there seeing as you deleted it seconds afterwards. Seriously look at this guys pictures. Seriously look at them does that look like a ***** defect to you? If it was an ***** defect he could just take the thing to an Apple Store and get a new one. If he does that then I will openly admit that by the manfucaturer that was a defect. If he is refused a replacement it is obviously not a defect regardless of what you OCD people may believe. And please for the love of God don't retort by saying, "just because Apple doesn't accept it or grant an exchange it doesn't mean the phone isn't defective." Apple is required to replace or repair any phone that is defective so if it's defective it will be replaced end of story.

hehe classic vandy:)

what are you talking about "obviously the word i meant to use?" i never said i meant to use it (hence i deleted it).. you just said it was a new word(which it isnt..its in fact real and not a new word. ).. and you'd suggest i use spell check.. ... i said it auto corrected to me misspelling interpret. (obviously i used spell check)

i was just referring to how earlier you said "imperfection to me is only if the screen is bad yadada..could care less about the frame scratch" then now you say it is in fact a defect on the product..

And please for the love of God don't retort by saying, "just because Apple doesn't accept it or grant an exchange it doesn't mean the phone isn't defective." Apple is required to replace or repair any phone that is defective so if it's defective it will be replaced end of story.

apple actually isnt required to exchange defects on devices for cosmetics :D
they just have been doing it to be nice.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html
See B

so it could have a defect/imperfection on the cosmetics and apple isnt liable to replace it.. heh

but this is obviously going no where.. so have a great one!

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
hehe classic vandy:)

what are you talking about "obviously the word i meant to use?" i never said i meant to use it (hence i deleted it).. you just said it was a new word(which it isnt..its in fact real and not a new word. ).. and you'd suggest i use spell check.. ... i said it auto corrected to me misspelling interpret. (obviously i used spell check)

i was just referring to how earlier you said "imperfection to me is only if the screen is bad yadada..could care less about the frame scratch" then now you say it is in fact a defect on the product..

apple actually isnt required to exchange defects on devices for cosmetics :D
they just have been doing it to be nice.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html
See B

so it could have a defect/imperfection on the cosmetics and apple isnt liable to replace it.. heh

Actually if it's defective they do have to replace it. I'll be the first person to admit that sarcasm does not come accross in text but the first sentence of my quoted text was meant to be sarcastic, as in you obviously did not mean to use the word interpolation seeing as you promptly deleted it. Obviously you would not have if the word was what you meant. I'll admit I did not know it was a word but then again I'd rather use a simpler word like insert.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Actually if it's defective they do have to replace it. I'll be the first person to admit that sarcasm does not come accross in text but the first sentence of my quoted text was meant to be sarcastic, as in you obviously did not mean to use the word interpolation seeing as you promptly deleted it. Obviously you would not have if the word was what you meant. I'll admit I did not know it was a word but then again I'd rather use a simpler word like insert.

touche i didnt know it was sarcasm.
//end//

have a good one.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
All I'm saying is if the aluminum scratches you will see the shiny aluminum underneath. It doesn't go straight through. You need to chill out man this is just a discussion.

LoL you PM me telling me to chill then don't take PM's to let me respond. I'm perfectly calm, you're the one PMing people.... seems like a bit of an issue for you.

My points were stated, they stand factual with no room for discussion (unless you have a way to change chemistry). Good day.

CowboysFan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
LoL you PM me telling me to chill then don't take PM's to let me respond. I'm perfectly calm, you're the one PMing people.... seems like a bit of an issue for you.

My points were stated, they stand factual with no room for discussion (unless you have a way to change chemistry). Good day.

Hate to break it to you AFDoc but anodizing only applies to the top layer of the aluminum so what these people are saying is true. If you scratch it you will see the shiny aluminum underneath.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Are you sure it's not glue? Men kinda had the same issue, but it was just glue that had oozed out (I guess when the white part was stuck on). I used an opening tool to scrape it off - and off it came! Be careful though not to scratch it.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Anyone with a White iPhone 5 have any peeling of the clear coat on the aluminum portion which is sandwiched between the two glass panels on the rear of the phone ?

Mine is peeling where the aluminum meets the glass panel (top and bottom) on the rear of the phone. :(

Yes, I have a case (rubbery type).

I got rid of the 2 black iPhone 5's because of the nicks/scuffs out of the box to get a not so nice looking white iPhone 5 only to face the clear coat issue.

EDITED (Pic added/Best I could do):

Top Portion:

Bottom Portion:

aww I thought this was going to be on the iphone 3 haha. titles wrong btw

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Ghost armor matte skin! Done, you will never see, it will give it a nice new finish. Common guys you can't expect apple to replace this. It's one thing if its like that out of the box, but anything else is caused by regular wear and tear. Would you expect the dealership to exchange your car if your clear coat get scratches or swirl marks after driving it for a month? ;)

After only a month of owning a new car? Yes! I would expect the dealership to fix my new car. Even the paint on a new car is covered under the manufactor warranty. As a matter of fact paint defects are covered for several years. Even against fading. That's one of the reasons people buy new.

CowboysFan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
After only a month of owning a new car? Yes! I would expect the dealership to fix my new car. Even the paint on a new car is covered under the manufactor warranty. As a matter of fact paint defects are covered for several years. Even against fading. That's one of the reasons people buy new.

Yeah the warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear.

CowboysFan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
if your paint starts to flake off or fade only after a month wouldnt be normal wear and tear...

100% agree with you I'm just refering to scratches in paint and swirling, that's completely normal for anyone who drives on a highway for any amount of time. Living in Austin you should know exactly what I mean. All the rocks and debris constantly flying at you.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
100% agree with you I'm just refering to scratches in paint and swirling, that's completely normal for anyone who drives on a highway for any amount of time. Living in Austin you should know exactly what I mean. All the rocks and debris constantly flying at you.

amen brother.
eff austin highways.. all two of them.
I really think we have one of the worst road systems in all of the major cities.

CowboysFan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Agreed. Good thing normal wear and tear doesn't accour in only month.

Well it depends, for me I bought my car and a week later I had chips in my paint as a result of all the rocks on the highway. In my case my normal wear and tear came by doing my normal driving. But I agree that paint just flaking a chipping off from no trauma is in no way normal and should be covered by any warranty the vehicle has. In my case no way I could have gone back and said it was due to something being faulty. Unless of course the roads in Texas being faulty can be used as an excuse.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
UPDATE: Operation "Flake Exchange" has been successful! :D

I got a MINT replacement (no nicks, scuffs, etc), except there was one slight scratch on the back of the phone on the aluminum, however, it does not bother me considering my original one as mentioned above was worse.

This one was made on WEEK 37 (September) with a serial no. starting with DNPJ.

I don't know if it was a refurb or it was just someone else's original phone and re-boxed in a white box because of the scratch.

BTW: Here is a link to see when your phone was built and which factory it was assembled at:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Last edited:

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
UPDATE: Operation "Flake Exchange" has been successful! :D

I got a MINT replacement (no nicks, scuffs, etc), except there was one slight scratch on the back of the phone on the aluminum, however, it does not bother me considering my original one as mentioned above was worse.

This one was made on WEEK 37 (September) with a serial no. starting with DNPJ.

I don't know if it was a refurb or it was just someone else's original phone and re-boxed in a white box because of the scratch.

BTW: Here is a link to see when your phone was built and which factory it was assembled at:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Not a refurb. Week 38 is when it was released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.