Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
If Google includes turn-by-turn in their app now, why didn't they just do it before? Wasn't Google's refusal to include this feature, part of the reason Apple dropped their maps app in the first place? :confused:

Google's conditions were that they would include turn-by-turn if Apple let them gather more data from users, through services such as Google Latitude. I'm guessing this app will implement all of that.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
No he didn't. The person he quoted is the one who edited his original comment to make himself not sound wrong.

No silly billy, he edited his.

I'm surprised by this -doesn't the forum tag edited posts? Personally, I think it should.

I was just typing another long rant about how terrible Apple's maps are, but then I figured that's been said plenty already. I would, however, like to assure, if I can, those who say "maps is fine in my area" or "maps is nowhere near as bad as everyone makes out" that it is in many areas, such as my own, absolutely terrible. And I'm an Apple fanboy, look at my posts if you don't believe me. And the idea of linking to other apps rather than including public transport data in the map is a terrible, TERRIBLE idea from a customer point of view.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
As long as it shuts up the Googlephiles, I'm all for it, but there is no way in hell that it's going to get installed on our iPhones.

In the mean time, for anyone who wants Google maps or Street View on iOS 6, they can get them here: maps.google.com

I put the Google Maps app in the same basket as Microsoft's Mac version of Off ice and Intuit's Mac version of Quicken. They are intentionally crippled programs so Apple users won't have the same features as their "regular" offerings on Windows and Android.

I won't be installing Google Maps on my iPad 2 either. The Apple maps app does all I need and want and it does it well.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I used the "Report a Problem" feature in Apple's new Maps app to report that the grocery store across my house. Maps labeled it as "The" even though the actual name is "The Price."

Nearly two months later, it's still labeled as just "The."

So much for crowd-sourcing.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I downloaded iOS 6 with Apple maps while working in the Philippines. It was awful. Beyond bad. But when I got back home to San Jose, Ca I haven't had any problems with Apples maps. I've been actually really pleased.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
The awkward moment when you realise you're dependent on Google to make your Apple phone functional.

:eek:

Speak for yourself. My phone works just fine, as I can watch videos anyway, and I have eyes and can find my way around. People seem to forget that just a few years ago most phones didn't have these functions, yet somehow humanity survived. :rolleyes:

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
If apple rejects it, I'm switching back to android. Apples map is garbage

I read a number of your previous posts. It's obvious you are already an Android user who owns no Apple products at all and are on an Apple centric forum just to spread negative misinformation. Go away, troll.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I used the "Report a Problem" feature in Apple's new Maps app to report that the grocery store across my house. Maps labeled it as "The" even though the actual name is "The Price."

Nearly two months later, it's still labeled as just "The."

So much for crowd-sourcing.

Poor baby. I'm sorry that they didn't get around to your local convenience store ahead of what is likely millions of other tweaks they are making.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Google maps has a nearby school labelled "?". Bing omits it entirely, and I haven't looked at it with Apple maps but don't hold out much hope :p

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Google Maps?

No Thanks. Pass

Best mobile gps and maps system in the world? And pass? lol.

Anyway, this is good. I regret upgrading my 4s workphone to iOS6 because of terrible Apple maps, hopefully google can this thing out.

For me, Apple maps is a wreck. Hopefully it improves

Last edited:

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Whether you want to believe it or not, it was good that Apple ditched Google Maps and formed their own Apple Maps. Even if you dislike Apple maps, it has forced Google to stop removing features from the iOS version of Google Maps.

Funny how after Apple ditched them Google is going to include free turn by turn navigation in the iOS version of Google maps.

Either way, I still think Apple Maps is great. I haven't encountered any errors and I really enjoy the integrated YELP of reviews and improved restaurant/business information. Even when Google Maps is released I anticipate that I will remain using Apple Maps...

barclay

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
i like the apple maps and it is working better then the google maps here in europe,still waiting to check the nokia maps

dac2800

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
The pathetic failure of Apple Maps

I don't know about others' experiences, but I am not upgrading to iOS 6 only because I don't want to deal with the new Apple Maps. I have it on my iPad, and in addition to missing large swaths of roads in my area (Metro DC), the traffic function - which I rely on in planning my commute - is a pitiful joke. Beyond that, Apple Maps is littered with locations of commercial establishments, while missing basic items such as mass transit stations. The final straw for me was a vacation in London. Apple Maps couldn't locate most addresses in central London, was incapable of finding any business in the country, and Apple Maps insisted that every city we visited outside of London didn't exist. IMO Apple should go back to Google for its iOS maps function.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
I love my Apple maps experience. I don't miss Google at all.

I even got legitimately lost two nights ago when I was trying a new route home from the new gym I'm going to. Siri flawlessly found my way back home.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
It's not showing. Maps is still an embarrassing disaster.

Maybe Cue's time would be better spent trying to stop Game Center from falling apart under the stress of Letterpress' popularity.

Please save us Google. I appreciate the need for proper testing (unlike Apple with Maps and Podcasts), but my phone is heavily damaged by this rubbish :-(

While Google Maps is much better, Apple Maps has shown some signs of improvement. I didn't upgrade my phone so I could still use public transportation on google maps, but my iPad is upgraded to ios6.0.1, and I did notice some improvement. The Points Of Interest has certainly gotten much better for the small town that I live in up in northern california. It used to never find the right places, like I would type in Sushi and it would either not find the place (even though there was a Sushi place 10 minutes walking distance from me), or it would show a sushi restaurant in another state. Points Of Interest seems to be fixed for me

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Well I read this artical and decided to check out the maps app. Haven't looked at for about a week.

I was pleasantly suprised to see that all the black and white maps of my area are now colour. There is a few more points of interest too.
Hopefully the improvements will keep coming.
I just opened it after seeing your post and ... Well Apple still hasn't corrected a non-existing subway station in the most unusual place in my city :(
I submitted the error report like 10 times.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I can't wait for this, if it is indeed true.

Apple maps works ok for me for now. It's not terrible although it has gotten me lost a few times, and almost always has a less efficient route.

Google maps just had a much nicer UI. I really miss being able to walk through the directions before starting my route, and to be able to just drag/zoom while navigating somewhere. Also miss the large banner up top with the ETA on the bottom left/right. So much more convenient than tapping on Apple's maps to get the popup, and having to dismiss it.

I'm surprised that they would spend all this time developing the app not knowing whether it will be accepted for iOS or not. What do they do with the apps they make but are rejected?

longhegrin

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
timsutcliffe said:
I'm just hoping the missing location problems I've been reporting get added soon.

Has anyone seen any corrections made to the Maps app?

All the people I know who have used the "Report a Problem" button, have not seen any corrections made to the Maps app. It would be nice to hear about a person who has seen a correction made based on THEIR "Report a Problem" submission.

----------
haruhiko said:
I just opened it after seeing your post and ... well, Apple still hasn't corrected a non-existing subway station in the most unusual place in my city :(

Has anyone seen a single correction? Anyone? Anyone at all.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
I just opened it after seeing your post and ... Well Apple still hasn't corrected a non-existing subway station in the most unusual place in my city :(

I'm sure they will get around to it, there are a ton of other errors that are (arguably) higher priority.

I wish Apple would do what Waze did with their mapping software. They should have "area experts" that review any mapping errors reported in their designated area. This would allow much quicker reconciliation of maps errors. For those in areas where driving directions on Apple Maps is inaccurate, definitely try Waze. In my experience it has some of the most accurate mapping and can still use Google maps for POI search. Not to mention it has some of the most up to date and real time traffic reports. And unlike Apple Maps, mapping errors that are submitted are fixed fairly quickly.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

All the people I know who have used the "Report a Problem" button, have not seen any corrections made to the Maps app. It would be nice to hear about a person who has seen a correction made based on THEIR "Report a Problem" submission.

----------

I just trashed the app in a folder that I forgot where it is.

I added the Google Maps web app on the first page but man it is really bad. Street View only works on POIs, there's no pinning. Other third party apps have their design flaws like Street Viewer doesn't support pinch to zoom (epic fail).., others just don't have street view. Apple's turn by turn actually works if you can pin your exact destination - but don't use the search function

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009

----------

Here is some proof that they actually are fixing errors:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57527137-37/apple-quietly-improving-its-ios-maps-data/

I have reported an error in my neighborhood of my street. Apple Maps used to show that my street connected to a major road on both ends (going right through my house). However, it now properly shows that my street ends in a cul-de-sac, so now I shouldn't have any people trying to drive through my house :)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Apple will reject this app. They have rejected a lot of apps that they believe conflicts with their interest.

There will be a public outcry over it for a few weeks and then back to business.

They should reject this App. Google had its chance and it stunted the app with not providing navigation features. So why do it now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.