Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
wedelgaard
macrumors member

colorizing monochromatic icons

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of trying to make little RPG game. In that occasion I want to use these awesome icons made by "Lorc":

I want to vectorize these icons and colorize them. Something like this:

Do anyone of you know any good tutorials/guides/tips on how to do proper colorizing?

Thanks
wedelgaard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
YESimBLUNTED
macrumors member

If you want them to be vector graphics you need to use a vector program. These are simple icons and can be turned to vector artwork and colored very easily within Adobe Illustrator. There are many sites and tutorials out there for using Illustrator.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:41 PM   #3
wedelgaard
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YESimBLUNTED View Post
If you want them to be vector graphics you need to use a vector program. These are simple icons and can be turned to vector artwork and colored very easily within Adobe Illustrator. There are many sites and tutorials out there for using Illustrator.
Thanks for your answer. I know how to vectorize the icons, but what I'm unsure of is the technic to do the shadows/highlights when colorizing. Is it just common sense or are the specific guidelines to help?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
mrichmon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedelgaard View Post
Thanks for your answer. I know how to vectorize the icons, but what I'm unsure of is the technic to do the shadows/highlights when colorizing. Is it just common sense or are the specific guidelines to help?
There are many online tutorials that explain how to do shading of buttons for the web. Based on the examples of the coloration you showed the button shading techniques look to be appropriate.

This is a good starting point: http://www.rdesignonline.com/design/...n-illustrator/
mrichmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:59 AM   #5
wedelgaard
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichmon View Post
There are many online tutorials that explain how to do shading of buttons for the web. Based on the examples of the coloration you showed the button shading techniques look to be appropriate.

This is a good starting point: http://www.rdesignonline.com/design/...n-illustrator/
That guide seems useful. I didn't know about the "blend" technique. Thanks

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics