Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Hey guys, seems like gevey sim has made a sim unlock for the iphone 5. I never used any kinda sim unlock before so are they reliable? Will it mess up your phone? It's called gevey r-sim 6

anonjd

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
Not all factory unlocks are that cheap. For Canadian carriers, it's over $100.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Factory unlock for me is $150 up since am with Rogers so it's not really worth it

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Hey guys, seems like gevey sim has made a sim unlock for the iphone 5. I never used any kinda sim unlock before so are they reliable? Will it mess up your phone? It's called gevey r-sim 6

You might be mistaking the IMEI unlock on their site. As far as I can see. They have no Gevey SIM for the iPhone 5 just yet.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
^^ it's out dude iphone 5 sim unlock. The sim is r-sim 6 it's their on the website gevey.

----------

Actually the website is gevey3.com , is this like a gevey imitation or something?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah, it's IMEI unlock for AT&T iPhones only. Not a hardware Gevey SIM.

Interesting things about their service:

1. Their website does NOT do any IMEI checking. I put in the IMEI of my already-unlocked iPhone 5, and it just adds it to the cart.
  2. They include a free lighting to USB cable with each unlock order, which is kinda neat.
  3. Interesting bit of language on their site: they claim that for "returns or illegitimate purchases" they can re-lock an iPhone. This would suggest that iPhones, once "factory" unlocked, CAN be re-locked.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Waste of cash, factory unlock from Telus in Canada is $35. Only requirement is 90days of service and your account has to be in good standing.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Their website does NOT do any IMEI checking. I put in the IMEI of my already-unlocked iPhone 5, and it just adds it to the cart.

Not a far cry from the many third party unlock checkers returning all iPhones (even factory-unlocked) as "locked," as a ploy to get you to use their unlocking service.

They include a free lighting to USB cable with each unlock order, which is kinda neat.

That proves they're overcharging for their unlocking service.

Interesting bit of language on their site: they claim that for "returns or illegitimate purchases" they can re-lock an iPhone. This would suggest that iPhones, once "factory" unlocked, CAN be re-locked.

This is why bona fide factory-unlocked/authorized unlocked iPhones are selling for a bit more (at least on ebay) than "unlocked" iPhones by other means, including third party unlockers.

pranav429

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Are there any reception problems if i use a Turbo sim.

I am getting factory unlocked iphone 5 for 38K rupees. whereas the turbo sim unlocked is for 32K.

which one should I go with ?

What are the issues involved with Using Turbo sim/sim hardware unlock.
is it safe. ? and most importantly , can it lead to reception issues .

Please help

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am getting factory unlocked iphone 5 for 38K rupees. whereas the turbo sim unlocked is for 32K.

which one should I go with ?

What are the issues involved with Using Turbo sim/sim hardware unlock.
is it safe. ? and most importantly , can it lead to reception issues .

Please help

Get the factory unlock. The turbo sim, while safe, can be locked out on iOS updates, and has in the past. A factory unlock will reamain forever. For a 20% price increase, you have no future headaches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.