Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puremeerkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Let's all take some time to appreciate LTE on our iPhones. And for those you do not yet have LTE, God speed to you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 455

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

I travel alot and have played in some LTE markets. Overall, I'm really impressed. I'm even more impressed that AT&T turned on LTE in my home market today. It is faster than my $50/month home cable ISP!

Cable Internet = 12MB down/2MB up
LTE = 25MB down/9.5MB up

Don't know how long the speeds will last as more and more people jump on the network, but for now it is amazingly fast.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
LTE is great. Much better and faster than 3G. But don't get hung up on the DL speed numbers. 60 Mbs is great, but your really wont be able to tell the difference between 10 to 20 Mbs DL with ping times less than 10 ms vs 30 to 60 Mbs DL with ping times over 50 ms. I would much rather have the lower ping times.

puremeerkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I'm in the metro Detroit area. LTE was actually launched here not to long ago. At first it was only the immediate Detroit area but it has since expanded to my city.

puremeerkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I have found that I got better LTE speeds when I used the Galaxy S III than the iPhone 5.
I had a Galaxy SIII before I got my iPhone 5. Unfortunately I did not have LTE at the time to test the speeds. Wish I could have.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Those are some awesome speeds!

Our LTE in So Cal isn't that great. I was in Pasadena a few days ago and there was LTE coverage on both AT&T and Verizon, but the speeds aren't any better than 4G HSPA+. We were getting around 7-8 down and 1-2 up on both networks. :eek:

I sure hope this improves sometime soon...

puremeerkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I don't have LTE where I live but I have been in an area and was able to get 47mbps. Freaking love LTE just wish i had it in my area lol

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Technically LTE speeds are there to show-off only. 5-10mbps is already more than necessary for the daily things you do on your iPhone. Web-browsing can only be that fast no matter what speeds you have, as it's also a matter of processing power. If I actually lived in the states, I'll already be very satisfied with AT&T HSPA+ "4G" speeds. There's no need for 40-60mbps unless you're using your phone as a personal hotspot.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I have an iPhone 5 and live in an LTE area but I could carealess honestly. Anything more than 3 Mb/s is more than what I need to check Twitter and use the browser...

I really don't see the big deal in having a faster internet connection than at home. I can't download apps more than 50 Mb OTA anyways. :p

VacTacks11

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I have LTE disabled on mine. It's just not worth the battery drain to have it on.

Seriously. Go a day with LTE on and go one with 3G. You'll notice a pretty significant battery drain difference. Shame, since I was regularly getting 25-30 Mbps.

Maybe 6.1 will fix the battery drain issue....

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Technically LTE speeds are there to show-off only. 5-10mbps is already more than necessary for the daily things you do on your iPhone. Web-browsing can only be that fast no matter what speeds you have, as it's also a matter of processing power. If I actually lived in the states, I'll already be very satisfied with AT&T HSPA+ "4G" speeds. There's no need for 40-60mbps unless you're using your phone as a personal hotspot.

Hehe and I do use the hotspot quite often so it's great! But I agree..I don't notice the speed increase in my apps at all with LTE over HSPA+. The phone itself is where I see things loading more quickly but the data speed isn't providing a noticeable difference besides maybe app updates or downloading a large app from the store. Going through twitter, facebook, flipboard or other news apps (including video) seems exactly the same to me.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
It's awesome, but sometimes speeds are wacky during peak hours. Late night I get up to 45 mbs, at noon on campus I'm lucky if I get 3.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
LTE got turned on in my city on Friday, and it's nice, though ping seems much higher here than I was getting in Cleveland. Speeds are good.

Interestingly enough, my battery life actually seems BETTER on LTE, which is odd. Earlier today I was at 2hrs 45mins of use and 6 hours standby and I was still at 72% and haven't been plugged in since this morning. Now I'm at 3hrs 38 minutes with 8hrs 8 minutes of standby, and I'm still at 62%. At this rate, that's 9 hours and 30 minutes of usage on this charge.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I have found that I got better LTE speeds when I used the Galaxy S III than the iPhone 5.

I have found that the speeds are about the same when comparing with my old GS3, although I will defitnetly say that I get better cell phone reception with my iPhone 5 then my old GS3. When I would sit in class in community college, I would rarely get 1 bar LTE with my old GS3 and it would be on really slow 3G about 85% of the time so virtually the internet was unusable.

But ever since I got my i5, I stay on LTE about 95% of the time and I even get a extra bar of service in the same spot.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I can't wait for the day when every current 3G tower is an LTE tower, so I always get LTE. Probably a very long time from now though.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I wish that they would turn it on in Lehigh Valley, PA already. They say by the end of the year, but you know that just means the ball will be a millimeter from the bottom and my iPhone will switch to LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.