Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
ash211
macrumors newbie

(Update) Handbrake alternative for movies that didn't successfully convert?

I've got about 8 movies that didn't successfully convert using Handbrake...anyone have any other suggestions? Also any suggestions for blue ray movies?

**Update** Nothing wrong with Handbrake there was just a Noob at the helm. After converting a bunch of movies I transferred them to my Windows desktop and added them to iTunes account. About half of the movies wouldn't play on my Apple TV so I thought Handbrake just didn't correctly convert them. Well, I discovered today that for some reason iTunes only "found" where half of the movie files were kept. When I showed iTunes where the files were everything works great.

Thanks for the help and suggestions Guys!!!

Last edited by ash211; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Update
ash211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Darby67
macrumors 6502

MakeMKV
Darby67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:32 AM   #3
ash211
macrumors newbie

Thanks
ash211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash211 View Post
I've got about 8 movies that didn't successfully convert using Handbrake...anyone have any other suggestions? Also any suggestions for blue ray movies?
What do you mean by "convert"? Rip BD discs (use MakeMKV)? Convert pre-ripped MKV's or other kinds of files not on any kind of a disc?
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

i am really impressed you managed to find something handbreak couldn't cope with, I have over 11TB now of bluray rips, dvd rips and TvShow captures and have yet to have handbreak fail ever
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:02 AM   #6
pommie82
macrumors regular

i have never liked handbrake at all

Last edited by pommie82; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie82 View Post
i have never liked handbrake at all
What do you like, then? I've very thoroughly benchmarked most consumer (and even a lot of pro-grade) video encoders and found HandBrake beating almost all of them, even a lot pro-grade ones.

Show me a faster encoder with at least the same quality and with moderated (say, under $100) price...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:20 PM   #8
jrcrip
macrumors newbie

Converted file doesnīt work

For the past few weeks I have experienced a problem with converting new movies to MP4-files, from MKV. Handbrake converts the file but the final file is not playable. It does not show the regular icon of the file, instead itīs a white icon. Anyone got the same problem?
jrcrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:38 AM   #9
orestes1984
macrumors 6502a

I've found a couple of MKVs and MP4s that Subler couldn't cope with so I had to reencode. For whatever reason they'd come out broken and I couldn't add them to iTunes, I ran them through Handbrake and they came out as good as new. I'm some what surprised that you managed to find a video that Handbrake could not handle.
orestes1984 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:50 AM   #10
pommie82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
What do you like, then? I've very thoroughly benchmarked most consumer (and even a lot of pro-grade) video encoders and found HandBrake beating almost all of them, even a lot pro-grade ones.

Show me a faster encoder with at least the same quality and with moderated (say, under $100) price...
i have tried lots of encoders in the past and the one i use is by far the best i won't use nothing else then the one that i use
http://www.******.com/ipad-converter-suite.html

Try the trail of this software and tell me what you think me personally i love it and it very fast and so sleek design and fast i haven't found anything better around to use and i have used it 100s of times and its definitely worth the money that i payed for it.

I have bought this software for a second machine because it was so good and i wanted to converter faster because i buy a lot DVDs on amazon so i just like to get them done quicker then waiting around for them.But don't me wrong the software does convert quite quick as long as you have the settings right if you need help with the settings just ask me then i help you out

Please let me know what you think of the software i would be grateful for your feedback of the software i have actually deleted all the old ones that i use to have and just use this one and nothing else.
Send me a personal message if you wish i don't mind or here on the forum

I hope you like the software and use it yourself.
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:20 AM   #11
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes1984 View Post
I've found a couple of MKVs and MP4s that Subler couldn't cope with so I had to reencode.

In these cases, give a try to the latest beta of MP4Tools (NOT the official non-beta; the latter sucks hard). I've too faced some MKV's that Subler couldn't remux but (again, the beta) MP4Tools could. Absolutely no need for converting. Assuming the MKV did have H.264 video in it, of course.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie82 View Post
i have tried lots of encoders in the past and the one i use is by far the best i won't use nothing else then the one that i use
http://www.******.com/ipad-converter-suite.html
Is it the Emicsoft / ****** / ********* / Aneesoft suite? (MR's engine has starred out the name of the dev so I listed every possibility I could find). I may have benchmarked it too - please name the dev so that I can look up my benchmark results / review for you.

EDIT: Based on MR's auto-starring the names I've entered, I think it was Ti-pa-rd (without the -'s) one, right?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater