Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Who would have thought after only 3 years with their Galaxy S line, Samsung would be the one holding fort for Android by a massive margin. And now the World's largest smartphone vendor.

Source

Some say Samsung is the only profitable Android Vendor. With HTC struggling to stay relevant. Samsung is really given most of the credit for Android's growth.

Source

Last edited:

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Those are some devastatingly crushing stats. Awesome, just Awesome. There is no doubt Samsung has a target on it's back.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
lulz at HTC. I don't know why, but I don't care for them. Maybe cause of their appalling battery life and they're obnoxious insistency on keeping that sleep/wake button on top of large devices. Gross.

What can we expect with the Galaxy S IV I wonder...

Also, aren't Samsung pushing bendable displays for late 2013? Exciting.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I did not expect HTC to be doing so badly.

Yeah, what exactly happened? People adored them a year or two ago. Then, in 2012, they just spiraled out of control.

Personally, I still think the HTC One X is super overrated.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Yeah, what exactly happened? People adored them a year or two ago. Then, in 2012, they just spiraled out of control.

I think their weekly new phone release schedule really screwed them over in 2011. :p

I do have to say that the HTC Nexus one was my favourite nexus up until the 4.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I believe most people would choose the iPhone over HTC latest phones that also don't include micro SD slot or removable battery. Plus Samsung has done an excellent job in advertising it's exclusive features. What does HTC have that other makes don't?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Samsung is the only real successful Android company, and that's terrible. They're an awful company, in case you haven't heard of my hatred toward then.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Overrated in what sense? I love its design but I agree with you on the button being a bit of an issue on top.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I believe most people would choose the iPhone over HTC latest phones that also don't include micro SD slot or removable battery. Plus Samsung has done an excellent job in advertising it's exclusive features. What does HTC have that other makes don't?

Yep everywhere I go I see ads for air browse or whatever it's called on the Note 2 and other features.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Samsung has done a complete marketing blitz showcasing the S3 and Note II. I can't remember the last time I saw any marketing from HTC or LG.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Overrated in what sense? I love its design but I agree with you on the button being a bit of an issue on top.

Sense, the sleep/wake button on top, and the abysmal battery life.

People got so enamored by the design, and I agree the white one looks great, but the ergonomics of the phone were terrible. I always thought it felt clunky and weird in hands. I'm not sure why. Every time I held it, it rubbed m the wrong way. Also, I sort of hate Beats.

However, I think the 8X feels great in the hand (much better than the Nokias).

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Poor old HTC. Google should give them some love and give them the job of doing the next Nexus.

Can't see that happening anymore since HTC settled with Apple. Don't think Google would want $8 of each Nexus phone sale going to Apple, let alone to have their Nexus device be under the terms of whatever agreement HTC and Apple reached.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Can't see that happening anymore since HTC settled with Apple. Don't think Google would want $8 of each Nexus phone sale going to Apple, let alone to have their Nexus device be under the terms of whatever agreement HTC and Apple reached.

Yeah, that's very true. I guess that might be a manufacturer crossed off the list for the future. Although a lot of manufacturers are already paying MS royalties, maybe it wouldn't be a factor.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

In an interesting twist on that theory, it could be one android phone that Apple couldn't sue over.

Next revision of android on new HTC nexus, immune from Apple lawsuit fun!

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Samsung is the only real successful Android company, and that's terrible. They're an awful company, in case you haven't heard of my hatred toward then.

Yes, you certainly make sure everyone knows of your hatred towards a company.

----------

Samsung are coming out with some pretty innovative stuff, so I'm not surprised!

That and they also spent a LOT of money on marketing the GS3.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I think a part of it has to do with brand recognition. Samsung makes hundreds of different products from microwaves to TVs and so on. HTC has nothing but phones (at least nothing that I'm aware of). Samsung is a hugely popular international company, it's hard to rival them. Coupled with these great looking and performing phones, they did a great job tackling a tough industry. I hope they continue to do well, maybe that will kick apple into gear.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I did not expect HTC to be doing so badly.

I do. They are apple of the android world. Minor spec bumps along the way but nothing innovative. Plus the battery life on their devices is absolutely horrid.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I do. They are apple of the android world. Minor spec bumps along the way but nothing innovative. Plus the battery life on their devices is absolutely horrid.

I'm not sure about this but last I heard HTC released a patch which greatly improved the ONE X's battery life.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I wish Motorola was doing better. They had some great designs on their phones that can set them apart. They also seem to be one of the only Android OEMs that put together kits of different materials than your standard plastic/polycarbonate Android devices. My Droid X was made out of Rubberized Aluminum.

That and they also ship vanilla Android with Carrier Bloat.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Samsung has done a complete marketing blitz showcasing the S3 and Note II. I can't remember the last time I saw any marketing from HTC or LG.

They've been running TV ads here in the UK.

The Samsung ads tell me that, with a Note, I can use the pen to write stuff on the screen.

The HTC ads tell me that, with an HTC, some fashion photographer used one to do a photo shoot while skydiving.

Hmm. Which is the more plausible claim and which would the typical punter find more useful...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.