Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Jayz2
macrumors newbie

Brave - Problem converting with Handbrake

Bought the DVD at WalMart today, kids dying to transfer to their ipads. Gave it a go with HandBrake Mac however was not successful.

Is anyone else having problems with this one or is it just me?
Jayz2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Darby67
macrumors 6502

MakeMKV, convert with HandBrake post rip.
Darby67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Penn Jennings
macrumors 6502

If you are using handbrake I would sugest putting the DVD into a player and starting the movie. While the movie is playing, look at the "title number" that is playing. For Brave it might be 14, or 44 or something like that that.

Once you know the title number, start handbrake, go to file -> open source (Specific title) and enter that title number. BAM, your done.

PS, this was asked and answered a few days ago as well.
Penn Jennings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
garyj
macrumors newbie

I have the same issue, and I have tried with "specific title" option. It scans it, but has a lot of issues. For instance, it shows the pixar animation intro twice and then skips parts. It's not any errors with the DVD. It is brand new and clean. I can play it, but when it tries to rip it, it has these errors.

I have had to do the "title sepcific source" on other DVDs, but this one appears to have more serious issues to protect the item. It happens on chapter 1, so I have tried multiple options with just scanning chapter 1, and I get the same issue every time. Not matter which title, no matter how I alter the video. It seems doomed...

Any help would be great.
garyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
macking104
macrumors 6502

Probably related to Disney's copy protection to keep people from making bootleg dvds to be sold on the street. I think to be 1000% legal, you should have bought the dvd/blueray with Digital copy code... (I'm not a lawyer, but it is Disney)

example of Disney and backups: http://jasongriffey.net/wp/2010/03/1...-and-copyright
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Use MakeMKV to rip it first, then encode with handbrake like the above poster said. Companies are trying to find ways to circumvent piracy and copying and are putting in small tweaks that break programs that rip movies, handbrake included. MakeMKV is updated with this functionality more often and does a better job 90% of the time.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:02 PM   #7
kbmb
macrumors 68030

For me it was title 6.

Cancel the open window and choose File - open source (title specific). Enter title 6. Rip away.

FYI RipIt failed still on the one.

-Kevin
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:36 PM   #8
bt22
macrumors 6502

Get the nightly build of handbrake. That worked for me.
bt22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:46 PM   #9
oldTimerR
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macking104 View Post
Probably related to Disney's copy protection to keep people from making bootleg dvds to be sold on the street. I think to be 1000% legal, you should have bought the dvd/blueray with Digital copy code... (I'm not a lawyer, but it is Disney)

example of Disney and backups: http://jasongriffey.net/wp/2010/03/1...-and-copyright
Ended up not able to defeat this one so i followed another macrumors members advice. Bought the 5 disc package @ Target for 27.99, kept the digital copy and chucked the rest of the discs on eBay. Came out ahead + made a profit, my time turned out to be worth more.

Apple Just Do It
oldTimerR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
kbmb
macrumors 68030

Weird.....must be different discs out there. For me Handbrake title 6 worked like a charm!

-Kevin
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:05 PM   #11
houstonog
macrumors newbie

Smile Open Source (Title Specific)

Call me a newbie but....I almost broke down like others and bought the DVDs with all the others. Instead, I poke around handbrake and found how to open source by a specific title. In the menu, click on File, Open Source (Title Specific), enter 6, and you will be good to go.

6 is specific to Brave. Play Brave and when the movie start look at the title number. The title for Brave should be 6/99.

My kids can now enjoy Brave on the iPad or Roksbox via our NAS.
houstonog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:27 AM   #12
MileHighCritic
macrumors newbie

Open Source (title specfic) - Title - 6
Worked like a charm.
Thanks for information
MileHighCritic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:31 AM   #13
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

DVDFAB works every time, once the movie is decrypted on your HDD, convert to whatever format you like.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
WalterElement
macrumors newbie

More Brave questions

I have been opening the specific title (6) and it seems to work but Handbrake only encodes the first 20 minutes of the film. I must be doing something wrong.
WalterElement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:08 PM   #15
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

how much free ram do you have i have had errors when all my ram is used and osx will not free any up i have to manually purge the ram to actually get handbrake not to error out after that
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:03 AM   #16
snaab4
macrumors newbie

The killer now is that they make you buy the 3D Blue Ray to get the digital download! Arrgghhh! And it just took over 11 hours for MakeMKV to do its rip. No Handbrake yet...
snaab4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:55 AM   #17
brooklawnbrewer
macrumors newbie

You ever get this figured out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterElement View Post
I have been opening the specific title (6) and it seems to work but Handbrake only encodes the first 20 minutes of the film. I must be doing something wrong.
I am having the same issue
brooklawnbrewer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:55 AM   #18
blanka
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaab4 View Post
The killer now is that they make you buy the 3D Blue Ray to get the digital download! Arrgghhh! And it just took over 11 hours for MakeMKV to do its rip.
20 minutes to get a YiFy
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:18 AM   #19
Miqs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn Jennings View Post
If you are using handbrake I would sugest putting the DVD into a player and starting the movie. While the movie is playing, look at the "title number" that is playing. For Brave it might be 14, or 44 or something like that that.

Once you know the title number, start handbrake, go to file -> open source (Specific title) and enter that title number. BAM, your done.

PS, this was asked and answered a few days ago as well.
Just bought the DVD and have the same problem. Having read the thread I unfortunately still have problems. When I play the dvd in DVD Player and locate the menu bar at the bottom of the screen I then try to click the "title" button but it says it is " not permitted"! So cannot follow the above instructions. What do I do now?
Miqs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:35 AM   #20
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miqs View Post
Just bought the DVD and have the same problem. Having read the thread I unfortunately still have problems. When I play the dvd in DVD Player and locate the menu bar at the bottom of the screen I then try to click the "title" button but it says it is " not permitted"! So cannot follow the above instructions. What do I do now?
Try using VLC instead of DVD Player.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:47 AM   #21
Miqs
macrumors member

Unfortunately VLC crashes every time I try to open the DVD.
Miqs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #22
newmaccy
macrumors newbie

Title number!

For me my Dvd player stated title 91!! will try this first -

Now I am trying 6 as 91 was only 31minutes long!!
newmaccy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:24 AM   #23
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I couldnt rip Brave properly either, so I just torrented it instead. Hows that for your ****** DRM Disney, which didn't do you anything, except annoy your paying costumer?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #24
newmaccy
macrumors newbie

Well 6 nor 91 worked!!!, think I'll have to let the kids reck the dvd then!!!!
newmaccy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:42 PM   #25
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miqs View Post
Play the movie as normal then right click on the center of the screen. A menu will show up in the center of your screen. 2/3 of the way down the menu, you will see the title selection. Mouse over it and you will see the title number.

I found that MakeMKV worked on the DVD movies that handbrake couldn't rip.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmaccy View Post
Well 6 nor 91 worked!!!, think I'll have to let the kids reck the dvd then!!!!
When you start handbrake, if you want to open source title specific you immediately have to hit the cancel button. You can then go to the file menu and select open source title specific.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater