Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I just returned this case. The back didn't sit flush with the back of the phone, There was noticeable play between them. Meh...

pikkashoe

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
For those of you with this case, be careful when taking the case off, do not try to take it off from the top left corner where the sound/vibrate switch is.

I tried to take the case off starting from the left top corner, and the area right above the sound/vibrate rocker switch cracked.
Had to return it.

As someone else mentioned earlier, mine also shows a sliver of silver on the top left corner. Going to contact speck to see if they will send me a replacement.

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
Just for the record, I've now received the CandyShell Grip and it works with my Beats Solo HD headphones, the connection's a bit snug but it works.

MCLACHLAN1

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Note to people in UK ordering direct from Speck.

I just had an invoice through the door from FED EX for £14.29 :(

That could of bought another case..

mscann

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Anyone have any issues with the sound using this? I am thinking about getting a Satin but I see the speakers are covered. Any problems?

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
Note to people in UK ordering direct from Speck.

I just had an invoice through the door from FED EX for £14.29 :(

That could of bought another case..

How many cases did you order in one go? Reading through the Revenue and Customs documentation you shouldn't be charged anything but VAT and only then if the VAT exceeds £9. So for one case it shouldn't be a problem?

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Anyone have any issues with the sound using this? I am thinking about getting a Satin but I see the speakers are covered. Any problems?

No problems with speakers. It sounds fine with the case on.

Does anyone has pics of a white iphone with the black satin candyshell?

jcliden

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
San Diego
So finally received my Speck Candyshell! Love it so much!! But.. I see some cons here. If you look at the picture, there are some tiny shavings of plastic that makes the case look less than perfect. Minor imperfection but I thought Speck would be better than this. Second, the case is prone to scratches. I've only used it for few hours and I already have lotsa scratches in the back. HOWEVER, overall, I LOVE this case! Love how it looks and button and cutouts are perfect! Purchased at : http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Glossy-iPhone/dp/B0093IHW6U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350084967&sr=8-7&keywords=speck+iphone+5

hgjhgj.jpg

thy.jpg

image.jpg

photo.jpg

Here, you can see the orange plastic shavings

bduvinmac

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
where did you get the home button sticker? i love it!

So finally received my Speck Candyshell! Love it so much!! But.. I see some cons here. If you look at the picture, there are some tiny shavings of plastic that makes the case look less than perfect. Minor imperfection but I thought Speck would be better than this. Second, the case is prone to scratches. I've only used it for few hours and I already have lotsa scratches in the back. HOWEVER, overall, I LOVE this case! Love how it looks and button and cutouts are perfect! Purchased at : http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Glossy-iPhone/dp/B0093IHW6U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350084967&sr=8-7&keywords=speck+iphone+5

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I got the Incipio Faxion which is a nice case. Question on the Candyshell or Candyshell Grip - the speaker and mic holes; do they impair the sound at all? They look very close together and I am worried about muting the sounds.

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
The case looks awesome and looks like it fits even better, but I gotta say, Speck made some FUGLY colors to choose from.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012

Scratch the shavings against the edge of the plastic with your fingernail and they fall right off.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
I've got the Spigen Ultra Air minimal soft clear case but my phone has survived a couple of nasty spills recently so I decided to get a more protective case. Went with the white/blue grip to go with my white iPhone 5. Apologies for poorly lit iPad pic...

image.jpg

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I do love this case, very much. I have the raspberry/black version. However, it's leaving honeycomb like marks on the back of my phone :( I ordered a belkin candy grip sheer. Hopefully it's easier to get on and off too. I don't want to switch but I don't want the back of my phone all marked up.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
JCiVt.jpg

MdRnd.jpg

CcR1J.jpg

6cA7J.jpg

yJLro.jpg

Like it a lot so far. The rubber seems to be a little better than the previous gen; maybe we won't have the flaking problem. The sound comes out fine through the speaker holes and the previous weak points - namely the area above the dock connector - don't seem to be prone to breaking as much.

It definitely adds some bulk but compared to the IPhone 4/4S with a Candyshell on, the the 5 still feels slim and light. Let me know if you have any questions.

case has been around for a while, its a nice case but still staying naked!

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I do love this case, very much. I have the raspberry/black version. However, it's leaving honeycomb like marks on the back of my phone :( I ordered a belkin candy grip sheer. Hopefully it's easier to get on and off too. I don't want to switch but I don't want the back of my phone all marked up.

You will love the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer! It's a little slimmer than the Candyshell but the lip isn't as pronounced. The Candy Sheer is a flexible TPU so it is easy to install and remove. It's the case I am currently using in Teal/Gray on my white iPhone 5.

I also have a White/Peacock/Pebble Speck Candyshell Flip and a Purple/Green Speck Candyshell and I found that putting a back protector (I'm using SGP Ultra Clear) makes it so you don't get any honeycomb effect on the back.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
You will love the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer! It's a little slimmer than the Candyshell but the lip isn't as pronounced. The Candy Sheer is a flexible TPU so it is easy to install and remove. It's the case I am currently using in Teal/Gray on my white iPhone 5.

I also have a White/Peacock/Pebble Speck Candyshell Flip and a Purple/Green Speck Candyshell and I found that putting a back protector (I'm using SGP Ultra Clear) makes it so you don't get any honeycomb effect on the back.

The honeycomb effect seems to wear off if you keep the case off for awhile, but I do like to clean my phone and the case is really hard to get off also. I figured I'd go with the Belkin since it seems to get rid of both those issues. I noticed their website has a smolder/gravel sheer so I ordered that. I hope it's as see through as it looks on the site, should look great on my phone.

I get paranoid of people talking about the phone bending in cases that aren't quite as stiff. Such a silly thing to have to worry about with a cell phone.

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I'm interesting in getting a Speck Candyshell Grip since I never tried that line before. I have a white iPhone 5 and I'm torn between the White/Black color option or the Lemongrass/Harbor color option.

If anyone has any pictures of either case on a white iPhone 5, please feel free to post them! :D

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I'm interesting in getting a Speck Candyshell Grip since I never tried that line before. I have a white iPhone 5 and I'm torn between the White/Black color option or the Lemongrass/Harbor color option.

If anyone has any pictures of either case on a white iPhone 5, please feel free to post them! :D

I have the white/black Grip case on my white iPhone 5. It looks great, and the white/black case almost looks like it's part of the phone. I don't have pics handy, but here's a good review of the Candyshell Grip case in white/black on a white iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqhxyrg-Erw&feature=plcp

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I just returned the Speck Candy Shell Flip case because I've read some comments that it is hard to remove as well as that it can leave a honey-comb effect on the back of the iPhone 5.

Have others found that the case is hard to remove and that it leaves a honey-comb effect on the back of the phone? Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.