Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:41 AM   #1
jacobluecke
macrumors newbie

Help me decide: KRK or JBL monitors

I'm new to the studio monitor world but I'm at the point where I need some for my amateur home studio.

I'm on a pretty restricted budget here, less than $300. I'm currently considering a set of KRK Rokit 5 monitors, which seem to be generally well liked.

My alternative are this JBL C2PS Control 2P set.

Any thoughts on these two options? I haven't been able to find a comparison online.

I use an Apogee Duet (1) to record acoustic guitar instrumentals with many layered tracks. Song samples in my sig.

Your help is much appreciated.
jacobluecke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:51 AM   #2
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

Having never heard the JBL's, get the JBL's.

The Rokits are simply awful.

With that said (and not many people around here will agree with me) the VXT4's, while small, are fantastic, and are worth every penny. You can probably find a pair used within your budget, because people have no idea how good they are.

Caveat: Every recent KRK i've used has been susceptible to RF noise.

If you liked the old NS10's, the HS-50's are a good option, too.

YMMV. Best luck!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Luap
macrumors 6502a

Listen to some if you can.
What sounds great to 1 person could sound like crap to you. Everyones tastes vary, everyone has different expectations, and nigh on all monitors sound different to each other. So you really need to check some out to hear what you like.

That said, I agree with spoonies post above. Put the HS50's on your shortlist too.
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4
zimv20
macrumors 601

1. the only valid way to judge monitors is to use them in your own space. best if you can try them for a while, mix a few songs on them.

2. the monitors will react radically differently in treated vs untreated rooms. it's no reflection on the monitors themselves, so before judging and purchasing, the better investment is in room treatment.

a couple bass traps in the corners will do wonders. either of these will work great (i have both):

http://realtraps.com/p_minitrap.htm
http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_244_bass_traps.html
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
1. the only valid way to judge monitors is to use them in your own space. best if you can try them for a while, mix a few songs on them.

2. the monitors will react radically differently in treated vs untreated rooms. it's no reflection on the monitors themselves, so before judging and purchasing, the better investment is in room treatment.

a couple bass traps in the corners will do wonders. either of these will work great (i have both):

http://realtraps.com/p_minitrap.htm
http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_244_bass_traps.html
Agree completely. Your room is just as important as your monitor.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Luap
macrumors 6502a

Acoustic treatment is good n all. But I doubt it is on the cards when the guy is budgeting $300 for his monitors. To make an appreciable difference, he'd need to spend rather more than the monitors cost in the first place.
If the budget was $3000, then yes, treatment all the way. But $300? Few are going to bother.. Besides, we don't even know what the OP's room is like.
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

The KRK Rokit series of monitors are much more hi-fi active speakers than they are studio monitors. I would recommend monitors from Mackie, ADAM, and Genelec.

Destroysall.
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
jacobluecke
macrumors newbie

Since a few of you mentioned my recording room, I'll describe it for your amusement.

Imagine a poorly-heated attic bedroom with carpeting. Due to the limited upstairs space, the walls form kind of an odd hexagon shape. All of this is in a house that sits less than 200 yards from railroad tracks.

Recording is certainly a challenge but it's all I've got right now.

I appreciate the sound treatment ideas but I probably need a whole new room first. Some day!

I'll go with the JBLs for now. Thank you all!
jacobluecke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:06 PM   #9
JCstudios
macrumors member

If you're going 5 inch, go for JBL. I wouldn't go anything lower than an 8inch with KRK, unless going on the VXT range, but they are pricey.

I currently owns a pair of RP8G2. Which is fine for mixing and all purpose and it doesn't cost me an arm. If I have a proper room for production, I will go for Adams or Alexis. Mackies aren't that great unless you go for higher end models which will cost you an arm at least.
JCstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio