Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solaris7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
I want to mirror what my iPad is playing onto my HDTV at 720p and I was wondering what the better solution was (going to use apps such as HBOgo and watchESPN). I could :
* Buy an apply TV for $99 and airplay directly from the iPad. I am cautious about this approach because I have read a lot of bad things about how it is still in "beta" (audio problems, lag etc.)
* Buy a lightning AV adapter ($49) and connect the iPad directly to the TV over HDMI. The only downside to this approach that I can see is that I would need to get up and go to my TV every time I need to pause/change videos. Does anyone have a workaround?

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Just so you know, HBOGo doesn't support video Airplay or Airplay mirroring. WatchESPN just recently added this ability.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I used to AirPlay movies from my iPad straight to the AppleTV2 - never had any issues with the video or sound. All in sync and all ran smoothly.

solaris7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Wow, that changes everything, HBOGo would have been my main use. Looks like I will have to hook up my laptop to the TV now, what a bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.