Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wired2apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Nyc
Im in New York, and the 3 new iphones i have all have bad call quality. Breaking up when ringing, and when listening to the other caller. Does anyone else have similar issues? I dont think it could be that unique for 3 devices to have similar issues?

:apple:

ashenfang

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
yep. I have two iPhone 5's. A white and black 16gb. Both phones suffer from poor sound-call quality. Sometimes it just sounds really muffled and other times the person sounds "robotic". From what I understand this is a common complaint and hopefully will be addressed in the first IOS update.

paradise808

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Verizon iPhone 5 Bad Call Quality / LTE Overriding Wifi

I'm not satisfied with the Verizon's iPhone 5's call quality. I've been going back to Apple several times and am on my second phone replacement from Apple. The call quality is choppy, sound goes in and out and the most annoying part is there are times a loud booming metallic echoing sound that drowns the call out. Apple says that they can't figure out the problem yet.

I'm also experiencing that the phone's LTE is overriding my Wifi and using the data instead of the wifi, which caused me to burn through my data plan in 10 days. Apple said that they are aware of that problem and trying to fix it.

The phone is also switching the date / time periodically even when the setting is in manual mode. Apple also said that they are aware of this problem as well. Just very frustrating for an expensive phone.

Paulsan

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Earth
I'm not satisfied with the Verizon's iPhone 5's call quality. I've been going back to Apple several times and am on my second phone replacement from Apple. The call quality is choppy, sound goes in and out and the most annoying part is there are times a loud booming metallic echoing sound that drowns the call out. Apple says that they can't figure out the problem yet.

I'm also experiencing that the phone's LTE is overriding my Wifi and using the data instead of the wifi, which caused me to burn through my data plan in 10 days. Apple said that they are aware of that problem and trying to fix it.

The phone is also switching the date / time periodically even when the setting is in manual mode. Apple also said that they are aware of this problem as well. Just very frustrating for an expensive phone.

Have you considered turning off cellular data when you only want WiFi?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
i have a verizon iphone 5 and the call quality is crystal clear really... have you guys tried a soft reset? hard reset? restore?

WiseGuyMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
I'm on my third handset and am still having the same issues. Verizon blames Apple and Apple just keeps replacing the hardware (when they have them available). Very frustrating as I didn't have this problem on Verizon with my 4S. Only thing different is LTE, which may be the common denominator in all of the problems.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
iPhone 5 - I have this problem as well.

Store would not replace it as they couldn't reproduce the problem within a minute or so.

Basically, I'm muffled and/or garbled to the other party almost all the time.

However, with a headset, the quality is great - so it's not the network.

The only time I can be understood without a headset, ironically, is when there's a decent amount of background noise. When I'm someplace quiet, that's when the problem is worst.

Given this, I'm suspecting issues with their noise cancellation.

WiseGuyMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010

Store would not replace it as they couldn't reproduce the problem within a minute or so.

The only time I can be understood without a headset, ironically, is when there's a decent amount of background noise. When I'm someplace quiet, that's when the problem is worst.

Now that you mention it, the problem isn't as noticeable when I'm using it in the car and there is a decent amount of road noise. You're probably right about the noise cancellation not working quite right. But I can tell you that it's not fixed yet as I'm on my third device (most recently swapped 3 days ago) and the problem still persists. I really don't want to go back to the 4S but I will if I have to as this is driving me nuts!

Jem0612

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
The same probleme in Stockholm, Sweden with operator Telia. I am on my third Iphone 5, all with the same probleme.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Uh oh wonder if VZW is experiencing the same issues that gave AT&T a bad rep?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows

I suppose it could be. However, I switched back to AT&T and callers are no longer complaining that I sound muffled and tin-y. Perhaps it's partly location. I dunno.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I suppose it could be. However, I switched back to AT&T and callers are no longer complaining that I sound muffled and tin-y. Perhaps it's partly location. I dunno.

I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and VZW iPhone 5(work phone). There is a difference in voice. VZW sounds 'robotic'. But it's not a big deal to me or significant enough.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I was just about to buy a iphone 5 at full price . I think i should wait for the 5s to come out. I would hate to have a phone that the other people will not be able to heard me during the call.:(

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I had read in one of the many threads (not just on this site!) that an Apple entity (Apple Ireland?) had notified someone with this problem that it was a known issue and a fix was coming.

I still suspect there's an issue with the noise cancellation. There are 3 microphones, and noise cancellation can be tricky to do right. All of that noise cancellation of course gets turned off if a wired headset is plugged in.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
On the other hand, certainly not every iPhone5 out there suffers with this problem, which complicates the picture.

I'm going to file a bug report with Apple, for all I know they're looking for more examples...

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Anyone with any luck after the 6.1 upgrade?

The folks on the Apple Discussions forum thread seem to be liking the results so far...

Edited to add: So far, 100% positive feedback by the peeps I've called. Hopefully this is fixed.

Last edited:

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Anyone with any luck after the 6.1 upgrade?

The folks on the Apple Discussions forum thread seem to be liking the results so far...

Edited to add: So far, 100% positive feedback by the peeps I've called. Hopefully this is fixed.

If you mean the Beta, I'm sure the vast majority of us don't have access to it yet.

EDIT: Wow, didn't they just release a new Beta a few days ago? lol Wasn't expecting a release.

mshah.008

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2015
Im in New York, and the 3 new iphones i have all have bad call quality. Breaking up when ringing, and when listening to the other caller. Does anyone else have similar issues? I dont think it could be that unique for 3 devices to have similar issues?

:apple:
Does this problem still exist. Thinking of getting the iPhone 4s or 5 on Verizon. Is the call quality good on Verizon for both iPhone's. Thank you.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Does this problem still exist. Thinking of getting the iPhone 4s or 5 on Verizon. Is the call quality good on Verizon for both iPhone's. Thank you.

Wow this is an old thread. Anyway, I've had an iPhone 5 on Verizon since January 2013 and haven't noticed poor call quality unless I'm in a poor service area. But since the 4S came out in 2011 (and is limited to 3G on Verizon) and the 5 came out in 2012, I would seriously consider a newer phone. We're only two months or so away from the announcement of the 6s. The 5s is an excellent iPhone that is $99 on contract right now and could be free in less than three months. Or with Verizon Edge it's $23 a month. Or there's the 5c which is essentially the iPhone 5 in plastic which is the "free" phone right now.

mshah.008

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2015
Wow this is an old thread. Anyway, I've had an iPhone 5 on Verizon since January 2013 and haven't noticed poor call quality unless I'm in a poor service area. But since the 4S came out in 2011 (and is limited to 3G on Verizon) and the 5 came out in 2012, I would seriously consider a newer phone. We're only two months or so away from the announcement of the 6s. The 5s is an excellent iPhone that is $99 on contract right now and could be free in less than three months. Or with Verizon Edge it's $23 a month. Or there's the 5c which is essentially the iPhone 5 in plastic which is the "free" phone right now.

Thank you so much. Just one last question are you able to here callers clearly on your Verizon iPhone 5 and are they able to here you clearly as well. Thank you for your time. This will be my first smartphone since I am starting a new job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.