Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:42 AM   #1
jsf23
macrumors member

Unable to send Gmail from iPhone 5

I've suddenly been having huge Gmail issues on my iPhone 5...

Last weekend, it refused to refresh my email, giving me the server not responding error. So I removed and re-added the account on my iPhone, and it was fine. For a few days.

Now, it will check for and download new messages, but won't send. They sit spinning, saying. "sending," until they just dump endlessly in the iPhone's Outbox with a red exclamation point next to them. I removed and re-added the account again, and it's still doing it. It's continuing to download new incoming emails as well.

I do have two factor authentication turned on, but I know the application specific password.

This is on my iPhone 5 (obviously with iOS 6), but I'm having no issues at all on my iPad 2 that's also running iOS 6.

Anyone else see this? It's become massively frustrating that I can't consistently get my emails over the past week.
jsf23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
jsf23
macrumors member

A couple of added points:

- I have other Gmail accounts configured on my iPhone, and I can send from them without any problems at all.
- I followed directions on Google's help site to change my port from 465 to 587 or 25, and that didn't work either.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Weaselboy

If you login from a computer at gmail.com do you get any security warning messages? This happened to a friend of mine and it was because Google's security algorithm shut down access from that device because he used it from three widely separated areas in one day. Apparently gmail picked up on this as suspicious and blocked the phone until he went to gmail.com and cleared the security warning.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4
jsf23
macrumors member

That's interesting, because I'm currently traveling. As soon as I can get to a computer and an internet connection, I'll give this a shot and reply back again.
jsf23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Weaselboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf23 View Post
That's interesting, because I'm currently traveling. As soon as I can get to a computer and an internet connection, I'll give this a shot and reply back again.
Ohhh... that's gotta be it then! The annoying thing is you get no message or anything. According to my buddy it just stopped working just like yours.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
jsf23
macrumors member

No dice... I'm sitting on a laptop now, connected to Wifi, and gmail.com didn't give me a security error of any sort.

Did your friend have to seek out the security reset thing, or did Gmail display it at the top when he logged in?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Weaselboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf23 View Post
No dice... I'm sitting on a laptop now, connected to Wifi, and gmail.com didn't give me a security error of any sort.

Did your friend have to seek out the security reset thing, or did Gmail display it at the top when he logged in?
From his description it sounded like this message and it displayed at the top when he logged in to gmail.com.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:59 PM   #8
SnowDX
macrumors 6502

I might trying turning off the 2 factor authentication and seeing if that gets things working. Then turning it on and probably generating a new code for that device. I know that when I upgraded my phone, the code used for my iPhone 4 did not work on my iPhone 5 and I had to create a new one.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:33 PM   #9
jsf23
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDX View Post
I might trying turning off the 2 factor authentication and seeing if that gets things working. Then turning it on and probably generating a new code for that device. I know that when I upgraded my phone, the code used for my iPhone 4 did not work on my iPhone 5 and I had to create a new one.
I'd had to create a new application specific password when I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to 5, but I didn't have any issues. Last night I deleted and re-created the password while I was also deleting and re-adding the account on the iPhone, but that obviously didn't make a difference.

I'm headed home tonight, my flight is in a few hours. I'm hoping just being back local will do the trick, but if not I'll give this a shot. I'll reply again tonight...
jsf23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:27 PM   #10
jsf23
macrumors member

No dice...

I turned off two factor authentication, and I still can't send emails out. Still only from my primary Gmail account, still only on my iPhone 5.

The weird part with all of this, and I'd neglected to mention it initially, is that the iPhone makes the "swoosh" noise as if it's sending, but the status bar at the bottom just displays "Sending..." The only way to clear it is to force quit mail, and then the message disappears for good.

I went back & turned two factor back on, and it's still no good.

I've also tried Google's suggestion to clear the CAPTCHA, and that did nothing at all.

Last edited by jsf23; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Adding CAPTCHA detail
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:46 AM   #11
jsf23
macrumors member

It's working now this morning...

I'm not going to argue, but it's weird. Maybe Google needed time to realize/determine that I was home, but if that's the case it doesn't bode well for the future when I go away again.

Either way, all seems ok today.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
samusb
macrumors newbie

Did this just magically resolve itself? I tried doing CATPCHA and everything else, but emails still take 5-20 minutes to send from Mail on iPhone 5.

Incredibly frustrating. I know exchange is a "workaround" of sorts but it also doesn't actually perform nearly as well as regular gmail.
samusb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:50 AM   #13
surfingmonk
macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem, and its driving me freaking crazy.

I had the iPhone 4 and no problems whatsoever, I'm starting to hate the day I decided to upgrade to 5... nothing but problems so far.

But the worst one is this one, I can't send emails from my Gmail account. they get stuck in "Sending" indefinitely unless I force close the app, in which case they dissapear. I need to be in touch at work to send and receive emails from my phone and this is absolutely awful.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
surfingmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6