Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ONLY PEOPLE WITH THE ISSUE: Which setup are you using?

• TB -> PC Display HDMI using adaptor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TB -> PC Display DP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Let's poll the different setups people are using.

ONLY ANSWER IF YOU ARE HAVING A BLACK SCREEN ISSUE. DO NOT ANSWER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.

Last edited:

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Let's poll the different setups people are using.

ONLY ANSWER IF YOU ARE HAVING A BLACK SCREEN ISSUE. DO NOT ANSWER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.

Great poll... could you make an identical poll for those who DO NOT have the issue. That would be of interest also. For those who haven't had the issue they should have there mini for at least a week before answering to give it some run time to happen.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
to be clear I had a quad 2.3 sent back due to cpu defect. it used hdmi to dvi and had black outs.

I now have a dual core hdmi to dvi flawless for about 4 days.

same adapter same cable same monitor.

this cpu passed all cpu tests and the ram passed all tests.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Great poll... could you make an identical poll for those who DO NOT have the issue. That would be of interest also. For those who haven't had the issue they should have there mini for at least a week before answering to give it some run time to happen.

I think that would only answer what is not causing the problem when I'm interested in what configuration is (HDMI out?). I don't think everybody is experiencing the issue so the poll wouldn't tell us much.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Poll should reflect multiple choices. On a 2.6 Mini, I get blackouts in both:
HDMI -> HDMI
HDMI -> DVI

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
It's the HDMI port almost exclusively. Pretty sure this was covered in many of the black out threads already. You might find a person with the occasional problem with the TB/Displayport out causing problems, but those are isolated/computer related issues (or user).

nnynas

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I would also be interested to see some kind of figures how many users haven't had problems.

Of course, they won't be that reporting that as imminent as buyers with problems. Anyway, in few days we might have some interesting data to compare against.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
I've got a basic 2012 MM with no mods, and I've got it hooked up to my Samsung LCD TV HDMI to HDMI.

Sean869

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Dorset, United Kingdom
I think i've fixed it

I was using an HDMI cable and getting a black screen about once an hour. I have changed to a Thunderbolt to HDMI and so far I'm having no problems.

So it would seem that the HDMI port is to blame. I know its not really a fix but a least it solves the problem.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I was using an HDMI cable and getting a black screen about once an hour. I have changed to a Thunderbolt to HDMI and so far I'm having no problems.

So it would seem that the HDMI port is to blame. I know its not really a fix but a least it solves the problem.

Looking at the poll numbers, that's a clear fix.

koyeung

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
may be off-topic
here is my test result for light color issue:

(My monitor is HDMI only)

failed cases:
HDMI -> PC Display HDMI
HDMI -> PC Display DVI using adaptor -> DVI_HDMI adapter
TB -> PC Display HDMI using adaptor

ok case:
TB -> PC Display DVI using adaptor -> DVI_HDMI adapter

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
No, it's a clear kludge. Otherwise the Mini shouldn't have the HDMI port. A clear fix is using it as equipped.

No, a fix implies there is a problem and X is the work around (aka "fix"). Therefore Chuckd is right, there is a clear fix. Now should there need to be a "fix" for a 2012 Mac Mini, no. There shouldn't need to be a fix, but it is what it is... Either buy it knowing you may or may not have issues with the HDMI port and whatever monitor you hook it to or don't buy it.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
may be off-topic
here is my test result for light color issue:

(My monitor is HDMI only)

failed cases:
HDMI -> PC Display HDMI
HDMI -> PC Display DVI using adaptor -> DVI_HDMI adapter
TB -> PC Display HDMI using adaptor

ok case:
TB -> PC Display DVI using adaptor -> DVI_HDMI adapter

The underlined is a first. Are you sure this happened? :confused:

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I'm interested in getting a mini to use as a HTPC hooked up via HDMI->HDMI to a Samsung TV (not monitor!)...do the color issues still occur?

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I'm interested in getting a mini to use as a HTPC hooked up via HDMI->HDMI to a Samsung TV (not monitor!)...do the color issues still occur?

They do, I was using mine on a Samsung LED HDTV but after calibrating, I was more than happy with the image quality.. then I hit the black screens/snow/static combo.

Honestly, at the moment, I wouldn't recommend the new Mini to anyone who intends to use the onboard HDMI (with or without an adapter.)

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
They do, I was using mine on a Samsung LED HDTV but after calibrating, I was more than happy with the image quality.. then I hit the black screens/snow/static combo.

Honestly, at the moment, I wouldn't recommend the new Mini to anyone who intends to use the onboard HDMI (with or without an adapter.)

bummer! thanks for the feedback, I was going to pick one up after work today but looks like the cash is staying in my pocket.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
bummer! thanks for the feedback, I was going to pick one up after work today but looks like the cash is staying in my pocket.

No probs and sorry it wasn't better news. It's a great little machine apart from this problem but it has been a deal-breaker for me.

Hopefully, a fix is possible and will be rolled out sooner rather than later but as Apple have yet to acknowledge the problem, waiting until the situation becomes clearer is the better option.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
The underlined is a first. Are you sure this happened? :confused:

My guess is that it was a bad MDP to HDMI cable or HDMI cable or something. See my first post in this thread about how using the TBP/MDP port seems to work for all but a few which is more than likely user error or something else. Seems too many have the TBD/MDP working just fine with an adapter to believe that these few isolated cases are really an issue with the Mac Mini rather than other parts of the "chain"....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.