Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
No, no... I didn't shot my mac mini, nor did I buy a 2012 mac mini....

I saw a listing for a 2010 Mac mini on craigslist for 500 OBO. I called and received voice mail. I figured it was gone already. Not thinking I'd get a chance at it, I posted a Want to buy add in Market Place for a Silver Nano (Really want one.) and had one person offer.

Well, a few minutes later, my phone rang and it was the person (guy) with the mac mini for sale. I asked what would ne the least he'd take for it and that I had cash money in hand. He stated he was asking 500 but, he'd entertain 450. I hesitated for a minute (actually looking up the cost of them and the new 2012 mac mini base (again and again)) and he said that he'd take 400. I told him deal.

He wanted to meet at the Apple Store so they could transfer his pics off the mac mini onto his MBP. I told him that I was an ACA and that we could meet at his location or the local coffee store and I could do it for him. He said that'd be great.

Well, an hour or so later, my wife called and said she was taking our 2yo to the doctor as he wasn't feeling well and complaining of his throat hurting. Strep, our 5yo had it Sunday... So she took him to the dr, confirmed strep and gave him a penicillin shot. MAJOR allergic reaction. So off to the children's hospital.

I call the guy and tell him that I DO want to buy the mac mini and then told him what was going on. He said that he was going out of town today and wouldn't be bak until next week. DRATS! He said he'd still have it and we could meet up whenever he gets back.

So, I haven't officially bough it it yet but, I am going to get a 2010 Mac Mini (4G ram upgraded) for 400. Then I'll transfer all of his files for him for free of course.

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. I had to get that out. :)

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
You sum-up all that is wrong with the people on Mac Rumors, and Apple fans in general.

Last edited:

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I hope your son is okay.

Thanks. Just gotta keep an eye on him.

Hope your youngin' get well asap!!

Thank you. He's good. Even with the allergic reaction, the penicillin will still knock out the strep.

You sum-up all that is wrong with the people on Mac Rumors, and Apple fans in general.

Because I'm broke and found (got) a really good deal on a Mac mini? If so, you are correct.

Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated, although, off topic and pointless.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Good deal! $400 is a good price for that! My only concern would be the Core 2 Duo CPU, but that's what's in my my MBP and it's still plenty usable. :) Enjoy! Hope your son gets well soon; my wife, myself, and my 3 month old daughter have all been sick for a week now. One of the pitfalls of being an elementary school teacher... :D

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Good deal! $400 is a good price for that! My only concern would be the Core 2 Duo CPU, but that's what's in my my MBP and it's still plenty usable. :) Enjoy! Hope your son gets well soon; my wife, myself, and my 3 month old daughter have all been sick for a week now. One of the pitfalls of being an elementary school teacher... :D

Thanks. My MacBook has the same specs. I want to get a Samsung 830 256G drive, put that in my MacBook and out the current 128G in the Mac mini.

Eventually get some external drives and use that as my media server. My 09 Mac mini will become my 5yo's computer.

Thank you. He's well, just penicillin stays in one's system up to 10 days or so. Dr said he'd possible get smaller reactions of itchy skin and hives for the next 10+ days. :/

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
He's well, just penicillin stays in one's system up to 10 days or so. Dr said he'd possible get smaller reactions of itchy skin and hives for the next 10+ days. :/

Ugh - I know the feeling. Exactly the same that I found out I was allergic to penicillin, too. :(

On a side note, upgrade that Mini to 8GB of RAM. Even though Apple says 4GB (I think), it WILL support 8GB. And if you don't need the optical drive, remove it and put a SECOND SSD and stripe those bad boys. :D

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
same here, hope your son will be well

Thank you.

Ugh - I know the feeling. Exactly the same that I found out I was allergic to penicillin, too. :(

On a side note, upgrade that Mini to 8GB of RAM. Even though Apple says 4GB (I think), it WILL support 8GB. And if you don't need the optical drive, remove it and put a SECOND SSD and stripe those bad boys. :D

It's not good.

I plan to up the ram to 8G and I actually want to keep the optical drive. I did add the data doubler to my 09 mac mini. 64G SSD main and a 750G 7200RPM for storage. The second SSD striped would be an over kill for me. :)

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Is your son OK?

What specs does that mini have? I got a 2010 Mini and I'm planning to sell it. I just don't know how much ask for it. :p

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Because I'm broke and found (got) a really good deal on a Mac mini? If so, you are correct.

Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated, although, off topic and pointless.

Not because your broke, but because your excitement about your new toy seemed to outweigh the fact that your son was/is in hospital after a severe reaction to penicillin.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Not because your broke, but because your excitement about your new toy seemed to outweigh the fact that your son was/is in hospital after a severe reaction to penicillin.

Seemed. I was excited but, no, it wouldn't out weigh it. If it seemed like it, I apologize.

I read your comment as I was stiffing the guy. Again, my apologizes.

Either way, my son is back to normal (tearing stuff up and being his loud self) and feeling great.

Thanks all.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Hmmm...

You're broke and already have two Macs, not to mention a family to support. And yet you intend to spend $400 on a Mac that you don't really need...

Hopefully during the time you are waiting for the seller to return you will reconsider and postpone this unnecessary purchase.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
You're broke and already have two Macs, not to mention a family to support. And yet you intend to spend $400 on a Mac that you don't really need...

Hopefully during the time you are waiting for the seller to return you will reconsider and postpone this unnecessary purchase.

haha

Okay, okay.. enough with the ball busting already.

Broke, yeah, I could spend it on necessary items needed. Like food, gas, bills and everything else that is needed... Ohh wait, that's all paid for already... this is extra spending money that I get on side jobs. I'll never purchase something I "don't need" over the well being of my family.

When I stated "broke" it's in reference to the extra spending money I have monthly. If you'd like, I'll update the OP to reflect that.

Anyways, I'm looking for a couple more systems (one for my 2yo and one for my wife as well) plus a few more for testing and learning to create images, re-image systems, create cloned backups, setup OD, mess up the OSes testing different things, and generally learn more about OS X via hands on. I want my ACSP soon.

So, thanks for your post too. I enjoyed the chuckle.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
haha

Okay, okay.. enough with the ball busting already.
... Ohh wait, that's all paid for already... this is extra spending money that I get on side jobs. I'll never purchase something I "don't need" over the well being of my family.

LOL, nice. I LOVE IT. Mainly because it's me to a T. :D Poor school teacher here... that's why I've been looking for a cheap Mac, too, to replace a beast PC. Some of us would LOVE to be able to just buy the nice shiny new iMac, but that just isn't an option.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
LOL, nice. I LOVE IT. Mainly because it's me to a T. :D Poor school teacher here... that's why I've been looking for a cheap Mac, too, to replace a beast PC. Some of us would LOVE to be able to just buy the nice shiny new iMac, but that just isn't an option.

hehe

Yeah, I am a data center engineer but, with the wife not currently working, I don't have the option of buying new right now either. I make enough to pay the bills, buy what we need, and stick some in savings but, no means to go buy whatever.

So I depend on side jobs to pay for our (Yes, I share my extra money with the family.) "extra" purchases.

I'm hungry, it's lunch time!

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Broke, yeah, I could spend it on necessary items needed. Like food, gas, bills and everything else that is needed... Ohh wait, that's all paid for already... this is extra spending money that I get on side jobs. I'll never purchase something I "don't need" over the well being of my family.

When I stated "broke" it's in reference to the extra spending money I have monthly. If you'd like, I'll update the OP to reflect that.

That clarifies things enough as far as I am concerned.

If you have spent any time on this forum you have probably noticed that there are people here who do spend money they don't have on their Apple toys. When you wrote that you were "broke" I took it literally since you didn't qualify the statement in your original post.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
That clarifies things enough as far as I am concerned.

If you have spent any time on this forum you have probably noticed that there are people here who do spend money they don't have on their Apple toys. When you wrote that you were "broke" I took it literally since you didn't qualify the statement in your original post.

Understood and I'm glad we settled that. :)

Now to save up more to get the 256G SSD and the 8G ram for it. :p

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Hey, I'm 58 and been around the block a few times... I'm sometimes compelled to share a little hard-earned financial wisdom on this forum. Occasionally I am even thanked for doing it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.