Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I see two sides to this.

Google's BS. They try to come off as they are the victim and they are doing everything they can do try to provide great experiences for IOS user. Well? Where was turn by turn navigation feature last year? So,... google.. Please. Don't try to play the victim card here.

Now onto apple. There were always 3 things that really bothered me about this company. Email, Map(including turn by turn) and Browser. I don't think I have to delve into much about this but how can a company like apple neglect this type of huge area where you let other company dictate your platform? Why safari is not as good as chrome is just beyond my wild imagination. Why apple never went into email business like gmail is just beyond stupidness. And why apple let your the rival walk all over you w/ their map solution. Why? Because you didn't think these things would be important?

I really really worry about apple. Really worry about the direction they are trying to take. It's fine and dandy for them to build a top quality hardware. But sooner than later, if inside start to crumble, it will take down the whole empire.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Oh stop talking ****.
On apple maps, my town is misnamed, the satellite views of different areas of the country are nothing but clouds and the magnification is less when you try to zoom in.

Did you bother to read the linked article? Despite what some people seem to think, Google Maps isn't without problems. Acknowledging that fact isn't "talking ****", it's acknowledging the facts.

Based on my *own* experiences (anecdotal), *both* Google Maps and Apple Maps are 'perfect'. On the other hand, I actually know that *neither* is perfect. The only horse I've got in this race is that I'm trying to clear up the idiotic claims made on *both* sides. (Yes, demonstrating to idiots that they are idiots on the internet is akin to tilting at windmills. Call it a personal foible.)

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
It seems as if Apple is focussing on the USA, and perhaps a couple of larger cities outside. This is to be expected, but will be reflected in usage.

I did some work for a very large telecoms company here in the UK. Their staff were given iphones and told to do a few things

1) disable iMessage as it's unreliable.
2) don't use Apple Maps to find remote offices or related retail outlets
3) disable siri as it wastes battery and is annoying for colleagues.
Now read that as

1. Disable iMessage because vital messages containing valuable information can be seen on other devices if connected up and their company security can't look in on it.

2. True.

3. Gossip from the tech guys who haven't worked out how to use it.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
For me to use all these apple gadgets and devices and for me to always have chrome open is such a shame.(and I know tons of people do the same). You claim you hate google and you want to destroy them yet you let your competitor carve out your devices. Safari should have been so awesome and so ready to integrate w/ every apple devices from get go that it shouldn't have been even close.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
If Apple EVER rejects Google's Maps app, I swear... this is ****ing ********. Microsoft would've gotten a 500 billion anti-trust fine for that. Just like that EU 10% of all revenue fine BS because of lack of browsing choice popup on installation of Windows 7 SP1. And what about UIWebView lacking the JS Nitro engine? Isn't that killing competition? The only reason I don't use Chrome on iOS is because of that.

I wish the legal system would apply equally for everyone.

A company has to actually have a monopoly position in before they can be investigated for abusing their monopoly position.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
upgraded the iPad to iOS 6 because I don't use the maps that much on it. Good thing too looking at it.

I'm still waiting to upgrade my iPhone to iOS 6, so Google get this done. For now iOS 5 will have to do.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
And you know that mister genius.... exactly how? He never mention iPad on his original comment, he did edit his comment! And guess what? Other forumers did see his comment before he did edit. So unless you are sure before you acuse somebody about something, i suggest you st fu.

Either way the YouTube experience on the iPad is really subpar. That's the point I was trying to make.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I care about Flyover. It looks nice and lets me see EVERY side of the building and fly over the place instead of just one side of the building. I can look over roofs and see what's up there. Google Maps Streetview just looks cool and pretty though which Flyover does too sometimes.

Lol u have too much time bro

Anyone on this guys side? Seriously?

Guys?

moodler

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2005
Western Australia
Perhaps but iOS could fix this by letting us set WHICH app is treated as integrated - sort of like setting the default 'open with' on a desktop. I find it odd that it can't be done with browsers and such on iOS, what if I prefer the Atomic browser? I should be able to tell iOS that Atomic is my default browser so open it (instead of Safari) anytime a brower is launched/required.

This is in fact the same thing as Microsoft antitrust suit when Windows shipped with IE by default over a decade ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

Apple really is becoming the new Microsoft.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
This is the most thorough analysis I've been able to find, and it shows there's not really any significant difference between the accuracy of the two maps (at least for Ontario, Canada).

If you have better data, provide it.

If you're just disagreeing with it because it doesn't match your own preconceptions and biases, admit it and move on.

The problem was, as I recall, that he used a function in the API that didn't actually corresponded with what you would get if you searched on Google or directly in the iOS 5 application. If you try some of his searches on Google Maps via a browser you will find that they actually come back with the correct result (at least the ones I've tried).

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I have read on this forum as well as elsewhere that WSJ usually has apple controlled leaks. Usually if it is WSJ reporting then it is true right ?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Can't wait for this. I don't see why Apple had to force everyone to use their app anyway. In my area, the map is still filled with errors, skewed streets and misplaced buildings. The satellite images do not provide the same level of detail Google Maps provided, and some images are too dark to see anything clearly. Plus I just miss Street View. Apple made sure that I cannot access any of these fancy 3D features with my iPhone 4, which I intend to use for a while. I'd rather choose Google Maps over Apple Maps any day.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Well that certainly changes the fact it's a completely unmittigated disaster if you're trying to look for POI in London! It was apparently just my imagination.

Well in my opinion, it's great. You're in London, and I'm in the US. Just because your area isn't great yet doesn't mean the entire apple maps venture is a complete failure, as you suggessted. Apple maps has completely satisfied all of my navigation needs and I havent had any problems whatsoever. In fact, I no longer even use my $300 stand alone Garmin 3760.

See...Now you have something to look forward to.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The executives at Apple are damn fools if they reject Google's native Maps app. It is going to take a few years of development, refinement and user input to bring Apple's mapping system up to par. It was foolish for Apple to drop Google maps in the first place (the switch was due to Jobs throwing a hissy fit over Android) and it would simply be retarded to block an industry-standard killer app like that from the App Store.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Well that certainly changes the fact it's a completely unmittigated disaster if you're trying to look for POI in London! It was apparently just my imagination.

Mmmm... I was in London yesterday for whole day... Was ok for me... I'm not gonna go back to google map anyway. No point giving that company a single p when I can get an equivalent option. Yes for the time being, apples map is good enough for me.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
Am I the only one who hasn't had major issues with the new Maps app? Everything I've needed to find has been where it's supposed to be.

Nope. It's been spectacular for me. Found everything perfectly. Turn by turn is great. Vector-based drawing is so fast... This blows away the old mapping solution for me, except in it's directory of places. More now I have to find the address online, and input it to maps. But once I do that, it's fine, and the slight incovenience is well worth the difference.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Am I the only one who hasn't had major issues with the new Maps app? Everything I've needed to find has been where it's supposed to be.

I'm sure you're not the only one, but you're likely in the minority.

I'm sure the residents of St. Augustine Beach, FL would like to know why Apple Maps has their town spelled in Korean. It's random stuff like this that just blows my mind.

If I wasn't having issues with Apple Maps (although I personally am), I would look at St. Augustine Beach being spelled in Korean and ask myself "if this slipped through the QC cracks, I wonder what else might've slipped through the cracks?" You'd think it would be hard not to notice some foreign characters on a map of the peninsula of Florida.

*Starts humming "One of these things is not like the others"*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

scades

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
Waze

I'm just back (in Maryland) from a trip to darkest Brooklyn, NY, where, a few weeks back, Apple's iOS 6 maps app was utterly lost. This time I used Waze, and found it smooth and knowledgable. It gave me good turn by turn directions, and because it uses iterative crowdsourcing, it routed me around a solid traffic jam on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. I've no need for an alpha (or beta) from Google, which, after all, will use its new maps app to push even more ads at us.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
I ill really loose faith in Apple if they don't allow this app into the app store. I suggest a boycott if not allowed in.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I'm sure you're not the only one, but you're likely in the minority. I'm sure the residents of St. Augustine Beach, FL would like to know why Apple Maps has their town spelled in Korean. It's random stuff like this that just blows my mind.

Apple loves Koreans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.