Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:12 PM   #1
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Desktop Vs. Laptop for abnormal computing needs

So I do motion graphics, which means a lot of 3D work. Usually a "buy the fastest machine that you can afford and still not fast enough" sort of situation.

I've been planning on getting a specced out iMac for almost 9 months now, but the wait has killed me. The speculation of the wait now extending into 2013 has caused me to question my decision.

I'm now seriously considering just getting a specced out rMBP. I do have an old 2008 MacBook Pro, which is a good machine, and virtually all the parts in it are new. Until now, I've used the argument, "I don't need another laptop because I have one that functions well already," though I do really benefit from portability. On the other hand, having a superior graphics card and included large screen in the iMac is a big plus.

Should I continue to wait for the iMac?

As a side note, I do have access to some very powerful computers at work that I'm able to use for rendering personal stuff, though rendering is often a later step in the process. A good GPU is required for animation and working with a lot of geometry, which I'm not sure the rMBP will be very good at.

I think it comes down to: laptop: portable, but do a lot of my work sitting around the office, or desktop and be able to most of my personal work at home. Honestly, I would prefer to do work at home, but portability is also important to me.

Maybe there's not a good answer to my question, but what do you guys think?
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice