Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuges

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
What kinds of technical limitations would prevent apple from using a 3x2 sensor in the next iPhone? Then the phone would take pics with the same aspect ratio as DSLRs (aka real cameras) and would also crop less of the picture when displaying on the 16x9 screen. Seems like a win win to me. Anyone think of reasons why they can't or won't do this?

reasonrulaz

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Hey, this is all well and good and I realize there are ways that users have suggested to show 16:9 landscape and 3:2 portrait full screen ratios but, that's CROPPING the photo. Why would I want to crop the photo?? In no way am I complaining, but for those of us who choose to use regular CAMERAS for photography (including print) and want to use our phones forlet's say displaying images on our phones (without cropping them), then what are alternatives??

Reference Point (closed thread)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459118/

If you want to take photos without cropping and other great options, try Procam;

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/procam/id541557533?mt=8

Jusmedex

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
One interesting thing is if you take a pic while recording videos, the picture is taken in full screen 16:9...

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
I think Apple should have made the photos zoom by default so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could bring them back to their actual size. As it is now most people will be simply confused by this.

So you want the photo to fill the screen horizontally, but in doing so lose the top and bottom of the photo?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
There has to be an app maker in the process of making 16:9 photo a feature. That'd be something I'd like to download.

Jusmedex

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
I think the video sensor is 16:9 but the picture is not. Stupid.

Yes I agree. Apple should give us the choice of how we want to shoot our photos because I would definitely choose 16:9. It just looks better on the iPhone 5 and that's really the only device I view my photos on...

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
I see why the ratio isn't the standard, and I have no qualms with that.

Why no mere option though? Is there something technically preventing this from happening? I realise that you might be a photographer and like to print off photos, but most of mine remain on my iPhone.

An option (note: option) to shoot in full screen... why not this too? Suits both groups then.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I don't understand this? Apple stretches out the iPhone 5 & the camera doesn't take full screen pics in any orientation. Really Apple?

This sentence is just worded so terribly."Stretches out the iPhone 5" "full screen." Can you be any more vague and less technically specific? lol

Full Screen means 4:3 as in standard definition tube TV's. Is that what picture size you want?

Or do you mean "full" as in filling the new 16:9 display of the iPhone 5? Think of these things before you ask a question.

----------

I've been using Casio Exilim digital cameras since 2004 and I've been using a 16:9 setting on them since 2007. I would love to take photos in 16:9 on my iPhone without having to crop them afterwards.

Screw Instagram and their square images.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I think it's pretty simple. Apple's advertisements for the ip5 are misleading, especially the holiday one put out recently specifically touting the picture quality.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Sony Ericsson Satio was 16:9 12 mega pixels I'm sure? :confused:

I had to look. That SE device is a smartphone. I was talking about a camera. As far as I know, there are no digital cameras that shoot photos in 16x9. They're either 4:3 or 3:2.

I guess there are some hybrid type devices that combine video and stills. They might be 16:9, but straight up cameras are (almost) exclusively 4:3 or 3:2.

EDIT - but then I read Obi-Wan's post and he's got a Casio that takes 16:9. In my defense, I would bet dollars to donuts that his Casio has a 4:3 sensor and just crops the image to 16:9. Alas, he has found the exception to the rule. Either way, traditional still photography is 3:2 (or narrower)

mirage299

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Switch to the video camera and then tap the capture pic button that's new to iOS 6. Then delete the video and keep the full screen pictures. Check the link for the article below if you want more details. http://www.alwarakiblog.com/2012/11/capture-full-screen-photos-on-iphone-5.html

oddznsodz

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Switch to the video camera and then tap the capture pic button that's new to iOS 6. Then delete the video and keep the full screen pictures. Check the link for the article below if you want more details. http://www.alwarakiblog.com/2012/11/capture-full-screen-photos-on-iphone-5.html

That's exclusive to the iPhone 5, not iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.