Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Gamoe
macrumors regular

Syncing Reminders & Notes

Guys, is iCloud he ONLY way to sync Reminders and Notes between a Mac and an iOS device (an iPod Touch, in my case)? I'm syncing my contacts, calendars and Safari bookmarks without iCloud, but it seems like options for offline syncing with Reminders and Notes is nowhere to be found!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Guys, is iCloud he ONLY way to sync Reminders and Notes between a Mac and an iOS device (an iPod Touch, in my case)? I'm syncing my contacts, calendars and Safari bookmarks without iCloud, but it seems like options for offline syncing with Reminders and Notes is nowhere to be found!
As far as I know it's the only way. Do you have something against iCloud?
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Gamoe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
As far as I know it's the only way. Do you have something against iCloud?
I generally prefer local storage and syncing for two reasons.

Privacy and Security: Even with the best encryption, logic tells us that data will be safer and more private in one place than in two, especially when one of those places is much more known and accessible to the world.

Functionality: What if your Internet is down? Why should I have to depend on the Internet and Apple's online infrastructure to sync, when my computer and iPod are perfectly capable of doing so locally, without it? This is not just a hypothetical scenario, either. It wouldn't be the first time my Internet goes down or Apple's servers fail.

The more parts to a system, the more it is liable to fail. The less dependent we are on such systems, the more self-sufficient we are.

I think the iCloud is a great OPTION, but I'm not quite happy with it being the ONLY option for simple syncing.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Zcott
macrumors 68020

Either man up and use iCloud or use google for only note syncing.
Zcott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Gamoe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcott View Post
Either man up and use iCloud or use google for only note syncing.
After the deletions on this thread, which are probably for the best, I will re-iterate: There is no need to "man up" for anything. But I do like to know my options.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6