Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Guys, is iCloud he ONLY way to sync Reminders and Notes between a Mac and an iOS device (an iPod Touch, in my case)? I'm syncing my contacts, calendars and Safari bookmarks without iCloud, but it seems like options for offline syncing with Reminders and Notes is nowhere to be found!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Guys, is iCloud he ONLY way to sync Reminders and Notes between a Mac and an iOS device (an iPod Touch, in my case)? I'm syncing my contacts, calendars and Safari bookmarks without iCloud, but it seems like options for offline syncing with Reminders and Notes is nowhere to be found!

As far as I know it's the only way. Do you have something against iCloud?

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
As far as I know it's the only way. Do you have something against iCloud?

I generally prefer local storage and syncing for two reasons.

Privacy and Security: Even with the best encryption, logic tells us that data will be safer and more private in one place than in two, especially when one of those places is much more known and accessible to the world.

Functionality: What if your Internet is down? Why should I have to depend on the Internet and Apple's online infrastructure to sync, when my computer and iPod are perfectly capable of doing so locally, without it? This is not just a hypothetical scenario, either. It wouldn't be the first time my Internet goes down or Apple's servers fail.

The more parts to a system, the more it is liable to fail. The less dependent we are on such systems, the more self-sufficient we are.

I think the iCloud is a great OPTION, but I'm not quite happy with it being the ONLY option for simple syncing.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Either man up and use iCloud or use google for only note syncing.

After the deletions on this thread, which are probably for the best, I will re-iterate: There is no need to "man up" for anything. But I do like to know my options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.